Vanilla Marines Assistance Required for 2nd Army List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanilla Marines Assistance Required for 2nd Army List

Hi all,

Long time collector and new player to 40K here (when I say long time, I mean Rogue Trader). I have just actually starting painting some figures for play with a few friends and have just put together 750 points of footslogging Orks with the assistance of the Ork forum on this website.

I am now thinking of a second army and going with the classic Space Marines. I have a number of SM figures and am trying to put together a 1000-1250 point list for tourney play, once I get better at understanding how to play the game.

The figures I have at the moment are below and I am not adverse to purchasing some figures / models that would suit a competitive list as long as I can use my existing figures as the core of my army.

HQ
    1 x Captain in ternimator armour
    4 x Chaplains in power armour

Elites
    5 x terminators (4 squad, 1 sargeant)

Troops
    5-6 Tactical Squads (with at least one with Rogue Traders which would be suitable for veterans)
    5 Scouts (not sure if they have sniper rifles as they are at my brother in laws atm)

Fast Attack
    1 landspeeder
    3 bikes
    1 bike with sidecar multimelta

Heavy
    1 Predator (twin liked las with las sponsoons)

I could probably put together a devestator squad if needed. I have a number or plasma cannons, lascannons and missile launchers, with i think 1 or 2 heavy bolters albeit on normal marines not dev's with their funky targetting helmets.

Thats about it off the top of my head, no rhino's or land raiders etc just alot of figures at the moment. Please let me know any ideas you have and thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's quite a lot of stuff! As a pretty newbie player still here's a few things that have helped me do a lot better on the tabletop:
    - The core to a good Space Marine army is a couple of full tactical squads. At 1000 points, I'd put in 2, give the sergeants power fists and then tool them up with whatever heavy and special weapons will work best against your opponents (meltaguns, Multimeltas, Missile Launchers are all good choices).

- 5th edition is all about mobility so if you can manage it, get some Rhinos or Drop Pods for your squads (preference here).

- I'd stay away from using terminators at 1000 points just because they can't be as effective. The Las-pred is good too depending on how you use it.

- Never used bikes or speeders so I can't say if they'd be good. It boils down to your preference in playstyle I suppose.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

You'll definitely want to pick up some vehicles for your army - Rhinos and Razerbacks are a good place to start. Buy them as Razerbacks though, and don't glue down the top hatch. Then you can just swap the hatches based on what vehicle you need. A team of missile devastators is probably your best build out of that unit, too.

Do you have a specific list/point value you're thinking about running?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No specific list at the moment or even points, I could easily be persuaded to put together a 2000+ point list if it didnt cost me too much. Type, again not sure want I want to try, but the list seems to be pointing in the direction of a shooty army so I would like to expand on that.

I specifically commented on the rhinos in my first post as I thought that it would be most peoples first suggestion and will definitely start looking for some. Any other suggestions if the list was 2000 or even 2500 points?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Not really - it's mostly a question of establishing a list for a lower level, and just scaling it up to suit whatever you're playing at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for the advice. In regards to the a devestator squad (I am thinking of putting a missile launcher squad and a heavy bolter squad), what are people recommendations for the modelling of the sargeant? Just a standard bolter or the bolt pistol / CCW combo?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Good call on the missile launchers - I'd go all missiles, if you have the models available. The frag blast mode they have is pretty good for handling most infantry.

The Sergeants gear can honestly go either way - I modelled mine with a pistol and chainsword...it's a question of a single extra bolter attack out to 24", or an extra attack in close combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With 4 chaplains you would have 3 HQ selections too many. I definitely support the pairing of a capt. and a chap. though.

Its never a bad idea to fill your troops, but for the points limit your seeking, I'd suggest turning 1-2 of your tactical squads into Devastator squads. 4 Heavy bolters & 4 Missile Launchers each in 7/8man groups work well for their points. I personally am a heavy user of bikes, and if your going to invest in the points they cost, just be certain to load them up with weaponry that makes them useful. 2 meltas in this case would support your MM sidecar, or instead a power fist on the sergeant would allow them to consider a bit of melee haberdashery as well. I sense its a balanced force for your interests, but I never play at low point games anymore (no one else is interested!) so I can't remark from experience. Good luck!
    Quick! Wile 'es ded!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I am very interesting in the heavy bolters because the models I have for heavy bolters look like the marine is carrying an assault cannon or gatling gun. So for modelling purposed I think they look quite cool. I do only have about 20 with 4 sargeants of these models so my ideas are as follows:

2 x 5 man devestator sqauds (heavy bolters in one, missile launchers in the other, Sargeants with boltgun)
    1 5 man combat squad (Sargeant bolt pistol and CCW)

or

1 x 5 man devestator squad (missile launchers, sargeant with boltgun)
    1 x 10 man tactical squad (missile and plasma gun, sargent with bolt pistol and CCW)

I am tending towards the 2 devestator squads at the moment as I have plenty of other models to make up my tactical sqauds and these models and different to my rogue trader and 2nd edition models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd consider your first option, and just throw those extra 5 marines into your 2 devastator squads for a 7 & 8man pair. the problem with 5man squads is you lose guns quickly once they take fire. The sarge with signum is a good deal, giving one of your guns bs5 each shooting phase, and believe it or not it works out, so I hate popping him first.
    Quick! Wile 'es ded!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast