Librarium Online Forums banner

Is it possible to use guardsmen to obscure tanks/transports?

942 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Korona 
#1 ·
I've done a quick search of the forum but couldn't find anything, so I'll just ask here:

Is it possible to place guardsmen in front of a leman russ or any other IG vehicles and be able to claim the +4 cover save for the vehicle? Just a little debate a bunch of us are having since our IG friend wants to be able exploit this.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If 50% of the vehicle (or vehicle squadron) is hidden from view, you get a 4+ cover save. If not, you don't.

The long and the short of it is basically it depends on a myriad of factors including the angle of elevation, size of the tank, other terrain etc - but probably not, unless you're VERY careful.

#3 ·
Vehicle cover uses true line of sight so yes you can use friendly models to block LOS to another unit including vehicles - IF he can get 50% of the hull and turret obscured by infantry then he will get a cover save.
However that would probably mean a /very/ tight formation. At least base to base and two ranks deep. If he's doing that drop some frag missiles or other templates on the infantry screen and then pop the tank once he's below 50% obscured.

TBH the much more common way to do this is to use one vehicle to screen another. It seems less ambiguous that way even though there's no real difference.

#4 ·
Well, for the sake of argument, let's say just flat ground, with guardsmen placed right up against the hull. Can you then, with utmost certainty, claim the cover save?

#5 ·
I just grabbed a russ and some infantry and...

...Yes it is possible.

A few guardsmen about two rows deep will block a chimera.

A few guardsmen about two rows deep should block a russ from ground level infantry, other shooters may be debatable so if you want tp be sure to give a russ cover grab yourself some models with vox backpacks and banners, especially banners those things are huge!

But that's from infantry point of view, looking at a russ, if you have broadsides on the third floor of a building, or a vendetta or something firing at that you may not get cover.

The Emperor Protects

#6 ·
A few guardsmen about two rows deep should block a russ from ground level infantry, other shooters may be debatable so if you want tp be sure to give a russ cover grab yourself some models with vox backpacks and banners, especially banners those things are huge!
IIRC banners don't count - but the backpacks certainly do.

#7 ·
Still, a few rows of guard can block the bottom half, but if your opponent gets some elevation then your tanks cover is gone.

The Emperor Protects

#8 · (Edited)
Banners do count. Everything counts. It's true LOS. If a banner flapping in front of a tank helps to obscure it then it adds to the concealment.

There's a rule for infantry where "extras" such as wings and weapons don't count for drawing LOS to the actual unit that holds them. You need to be able to see the actual body. I think it's reasonable to say the banner bearer isn't going to die if you shoot the banner, but if it's flapping in front of a partially obscured tank then it might help to tip the balance and spoil the shot. Just watch for people making "custom" banners to provide mobile cover. That's cheating...

#10 ·
I dont think we need to worry about custom banners, have you seen the regular Cadian/Catachan banners? Those things are huge.

The Emperor Protects

#11 ·
As an alternative to seeking cover saves, I get very good luck using infantry to prevent deepstrikers from landing within melta range of my Russes. That might be the better approach for you. After all, how many armies make heavy use of long-range antitank these days? Most only bring a warehouse's supply of meltaguns and think that'll be enough.

#12 ·
I almost never see DSing meltaguns, it's always DSing multi meltas in pods, wolf scouts behind you...

Also with the new Space Marine codexes (Blood Angels and Space Wolves) as well as the Dark Eldar we are seeing the return of ranged firepower. Look at their compedative lists, they are razorback spam with long fangs for the wolves and predators for the angels, Dark Eldar can spam S8 lance weapons like you wouldn't beleive (trust me, i'm a DE player).

Lootas for orks (although ineffective against russes 3 squads of lootas will scare the crap out of my chimera line).

Land Speeders for vanilla marine bike armies.

Tau

Other IG with Vendettas, Hyrdas, Demolishers, sentinels...

The Emperor Protects

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.