Making MOTF list competitive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making MOTF list competitive?

Before anyone asks, I have done a search and only found 1 decent thread with a couple of replies, plus I'm a bit of a noob, so please be kind!!

I'm currently doing an Iron Hands themed Master of the Forge army and was wondering if there's any way to make it more competitive? I intend to run a 6 dreadnought list, but thanks to the snow my mail order hasn't arrived as of yet to game with!!

So far I've had mixed results, getting a win in a practise game at 750pts (with 3 dreads; 1 basic and 2 Ironclads), losing 6-1 in kill points in annihilation (thanks as well to my terminators deep striking off the board!) and then drawing in capture and control.

Scouts seem to be the only real troop choice for a list if you want to go the whole hog and play with kitted out Ironclads. I'm going to run 3 Ironclads with most of the gubbins available and 3 venerable dreadnoughts - 2 dakka (lascannon and missile launcher). However, I am running a scout squad and 5 man tac squad at the moment. For objectives I sit a tac squad on my objective and go to ground, whilst my scouts act as a speed bump infiltrating in and my dreadnoughts then try to pummel the opposition into submission. My aim is to kill the opponent's troops choices to eliminate the chance of my objective being taken.

Maybe it's the way I play (which isn't that great to be honest), but I'd like to make them better. Obviously it is mainly a fun list and all, and as yet they haven't done terribly bad considering once in a while every dread could end up blown up (which hasn't happened yet!), but I'd like some opinions on how to get more wins!

Again, sincere apologies for my noobishness, but would appreciate replies however critical they are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I'd do it is with Drop Pods.

4 Shooty Dreads start on the field
    2 Ironclads in pods
    2 Tactical Squads in pods
    1MotF on Bike with C/Beamer+3Man Bike Squad (this solves his 3 problems, can't shoot when moving (Relentless!) and no invulnerable save (Ablative Wounds) and has to stay at max range (Move 12" with bike!))

So, turn 1 you should have all your Dreadnoughts where you want them, Iron ones in with the enemy and shooting ones at the back.

Tacticals come in later onto objectives, they're purely for scoring points. Give them a Missile/Lascannon/Multimelta and they might get a free kill later on if ignored.

I think this should come in about 1500 points too: 500 for shooty dreads, 350 for the ironclads in pods, 400 for the tac squads and 250 for the MotF+bikers. Might need tweaking a bit.

Wouldn't personally use Venerables since for two Vens you can get three regular.
    The reroll doesn't help shooty dreads much as the best you can hope for is shaken which is still bad. WS5 doesn't help either and BS5 for twin linked weapons isn't that great: 97% hit rate vs 88% hit rate is pretty meh anyway without factoring in the huge price increase to get to Venerable.

I could be wrong though, this is just how I'd run it. All TLAC looks right to me giving you 16 TLS7 shots per turn, should take down a couple of light vehicles and will hurt hordes too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Agreed. I would do pretty much the exact same list as GoliathX proposed. DO not use Venerable, its a point waste. Also, if you can find some points, try putting a homing beacon on your bikers to prevent a scatter. YOu can drop in the dread within 6 inches of it. The tac squads should def come in on the later turns.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

I'd mostly do what GoliathX proposed, though I'd take a few changes of my own:

-instead of 2 tactical squads, I'd take a single pod squad and run a pair of 5 man Scout squads (each with a power fist) in Land Speeder Storms. I've used these to good effect in the past as both alpha strikers and reserving objective grabbers.
    -since the bodyguard for the MotF he proposed costs more then half of the points cost of the MoTF, I'd just buy a second identical one. Forget about survivability, use them to kill enemy transports from range ... they'll be far enough away that the only kind of long range fire that'll really threaten them is stuff that you'd just as soon not want thrown at your dreadnoughts anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow you three are lean, mean, advice giving machines!! They have said it all really you should make tweaks to suit your playstyle but these guys know what they are talking about.

@Reiko haha I love how you put DO not...Anyone who was skimming would be like.....Wait, didn't he just say.....GAHH WAHH?!
    Hero Up!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

HAHA oops... I would edit it but, well I want to entertain the people who read this later...
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

When you play about a game a week for a year and a half, you get pretty good at the game. :p

+ Reply to Thread