How to boost up my force? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

How to boost up my force?

My current Raven Guard force is:

Shrike
    Tacticals (10 men) w/PF, melta, ML and Rhino
    Scouts (5 men) w/PF, meltabombs, CCWs
    Scouts (5 men) w/PF, meltabombs, CCWs
    Assault (10 men) w/PF, jumppacks
    Vanguard Vets (9 men) w/PF, claws, PWs, jumppacks

A total of 1250 points.

Now, what should I get next to boost it up?

I think to go up to 1500 points I need one more Tactical squad but should I take another one of 10 marines with meltas, MLs and Rhino or a smaller one (5 or 6) with PF and Razorback?

How about heavy support? Currently the force is quite low on anti-tank with enough close-combat stuff, so should I get tanks for 1750-2000 points range and, if so, which ones? Predators, Vindicators or maybe a Land Raider?

All opinions, comments and tips are welcome

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would personally drop the Vanguard squad in favor of a regular assult squad. With the points released, aim for some long range anti-tank weapons, such as a predator or devestator squad. The Land rider is tempting to take as heavy support, but it really only comes in as a best use for transporting terminators to the front lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say some Landspeeders with Multimeltas to give your opponent more fast things to worry about. Once you have some fast stuff, every extra one is even more useful.

That or Predators. AV13 is cool and they're pretty cheep too, and they can get to work on turn one where everything else is still running forwards. You can even just use them as an AV13 Rhino shield as the basic model is dirt cheep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the fast attack. A fast attack can come in very handy against other space marine armies or any other army lacking fast moving troops.
    One by One do we destroy this world in which we live. Inch by Inch we creep towards our destruction. The sad thing is, it was our own doing...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I have one Fast Slot left so I could take Land Speeder or a squadron of them. They aren't even too expensive for what they do. A Predator or two would add some needed long range firepower so it would be a likely candidate to take into 1500+ lists.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO for the 1500 Id get another Tac Squad with a Razorback w/ TL Lascannons. The Razor can be used as a get in, disembark the marines and pop a tank or two. The speeder option also works but with that just go Meltas and balls to walls and just kill those tanks early u will lose them. Or go thyphoon Missles and just hang a little longer.
    "The fallen shall forever be remembered as the emporers finest!"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I would..........

1) As much as I personally love Vanguard, they're just not really worth the points. Ditch these in favour of a full 10 man assault squad. Also, take Flamers in these squads. Or Take another Tactical squad. Whichever takes your fancy.

2) Any body who goes tank heavy will give you no end of Headaches (In my 1500pt mech guard I have 4 Chimeras, 2 bane wolves, 2 Hydras and 6 Armoured Sentinels, and that's my fluffy force!!!)
    Taking Melta Land Speeders or Bikes will give your force some much needed in your face Anti-Tank. At the moment all you really have is Assault and the Tactical squads Melta gun.

In regards to taking Predators etc.... I wouldn't. I'd take more units that put pressure on the opponent early on. This means he will have multiple high threat units he'll have to split fire between. Having some units up close and then some in your back field only splits your force and lets your opponent deal with you peice meal. Take Tactical squads in Rhinos, Assault Squads backed up by Land Speeders will put the enemy on the defencive from turn 1.

3) Heavy Support? Vindicators would probably be a bad idea in your list. You're infantry want to get in close with the enemy and any scattering Demolisher Shells will..........well you get my point.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; December 19th, 2010 at 23:40.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

At this moment the Vanguard Vets are there for two simple reasons: I got them cheap as hell and loved painting them. They are killy as hell, but a bit too expensive for anything less than 2000 points, I think. Thus they will probably be recycled out in favor of Assault Squad or Assault Termies.

Since this IS Raven Guards, I want to keep the army very close-combat oriented. Idea is to use the Fleet and Infiltration to my best advanatge and be right in enemys face before he can use his tanks to their advantage... Basically more tanks my opponent has the easier it will be to slaughter the few troops he has inside them once I've meltabombed them out of the tanks. My original plan was actually running two full 10 man tactical squads in Drop Pods, but I only got one Tac squad yet and the Rhino I got as a free gift so decided to use it on my first lists.
    Last edited by Polaria; December 21st, 2010 at 21:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKin37 View Post
    IMO for the 1500 Id get another Tac Squad with a Razorback w/ TL Lascannons. The Razor can be used as a get in, disembark the marines and pop a tank or two. The speeder option also works but with that just go Meltas and balls to walls and just kill those tanks early u will lose them. Or go thyphoon Missles and just hang a little longer.
    Also a command squad with 5x PP's & Attached to Shrike so u can get that FNP bonus with the Apoc. Attach them to a Razorback with either Twin Linked LC's or just the LC/Plas combo. The tank will pull agrro while your scouts and Fast Attacks can get assulty and bomby. Once your Razor is done for you get out and start melting more faces. I would also use the Tacticals to back up any loose ends.
    Last edited by DragonKin37; December 28th, 2010 at 20:20.
    "The fallen shall forever be remembered as the emporers finest!"

+ Reply to Thread