A Quick Tournament Report - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

A Quick Tournament Report

OK, so last weekend I did my second tournament with guard (3rd if you count a team tournament in September I teamed up with Blood Angels). After going 2-1-1 in a 1000 point tourney last month, I was looking to cause some damage, and felt like at 1750 I would have plenty of room for all te fun toys I've been wanting to take. Here was my army:

HQ
    CCS with 2 plasma guns, autocannon, and Officer of the Fleet

Elites
    Guardsmen Marbo

Troops
    Veteran Squad with 3 meltas in chimera with multilaser and heavy flamer
    Veteran Squad with 3 meltas in chimera with multilaser and heavy flamer
    Infantry Platoon
    PCS with 4 meltas in chimera with multilaser and heavy flamer
    Infantry Squad with autocannon and grenade launcher
    Infantry Squad with autocannon and grenade launcher
    Heavy Weapon Squad with 3 autocannons
    Heavy Weapon Squad with 3 lascannons

Heavy Support
    2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks with hull lascannon
    2 Leman Russ Demolishers with hull heavy flamer
    Manticore Rocket Launcher with hull heavy bolter

This was not the list I was originally planning on taking. My original idea was to take the lascannons off the Russes and take out Marbo for another lascannon squad. I also considered removing the 2nd veteran squad in addition to the hull lascannons and Marbo and taking a second infantry platoon. Neither of these ideas panned out cause I went to my store a couple days before the tourney (in a BLIZZARD), and they didn't have any heavy weapon squads. Option 2 would have cost 50-75 bucks, so I decided to hack up a guardsman model and make him into Marbo. So anyway, Here's how things went.

I got paired up in the first round with Chaos Demons. I had been taking stock of all the other players there (mostly regulars, a few newer players that I hadn't seen, but most of those were pretty young), and we had pretty much agreed that the winner of this game was gonna go on to be the winner of the tournament. The top 3 for the past year and a half had pretty exclusively consisted of me, my opponent, and one other player who wasn't there this month, and it seemed sort of like most of the middle of the road players weren't there. So basically, it sucked that this had to be our first game, since the winner was probably gonna go 3-0 and win the tournament, and the loser probably wasn't even gonna place in the top 3 thanks to SoS (playing players with worse records always hurts you more than losing to the eventual winner helps).

His army consisted of a Great Unclean one, a Keeper of Secrets, a Nurgle Demon Prince, a group of Seekers of Slaanesh, 2 squads of Bloodletters, a Soul Grinder, a unit of 4 flamers, and a squad of horrors with the Changeling. I was confident in my ability to take him in objective games, since he only had 3 scoring units compared to my 7, but he also only had 9 kill points to my 14 (technically 15, but I would obviously blob up in a kill point scenario).

Naturally, the objective rolled for the first round was kill points, and to make matters worse the first deployment type was dawn of war. So I had 2 options: a) deploy my heavy weapo squads and likely get them killed (he had the first turn, so I wouldn't be able to protect them by having other priority targets), or b) deploy nothing and lose a turn of firing with all my heavy weapons. I went with b, since I was likely to lose a lot of shots anyway thanks to nightfight. His initial wave consisted of his MCs, the soul grinder, and seekers. I brought all my stuff on and blazed away at the closest thing to me, the Keeper of Secrets. I eventually killed it, but it took an awful lot of firepower, and beyond that I couldn't roll a good spotting distance to save my life. My deployment had my large infantry blob stretched out in front of all my tanks to defend them from assault, but I still lost my Demolishers to the seekers since I didn't have enough infantry to stretch around to protect their flank. The manticore destroyed the soul grinder with its first shot, and I was able to stop the great unclean one from assaulting my tanks thanks to the infantry. He had declared that he was shooting his template weapon at the chimera, and it just happened to be hitting guardsment too, which was exactly what I wanted, since his base was too big to fit between my models to get to the tank. I brought it down with concentrated fire, but again it seemed to take too much. At this point pretty much everything was within the Manticore's minimum range, except the Seekers who decided to hide after killing my Demoloshers and lost a bunch of their numbers in the following turn.

So here's a couple things that were driving me crazy. First was the Flamers. I completely underestimated their ability to glance on a 4+. I knew it'd be tough, but I also didn't really think about each template hitting several tanks. I'll have to remember to be more careful with bunching together next time. He also assaulted my infantry blob (or well, the remains of it) with his DP and his last surviving flamer. After his DP killed a few guardsmen, I removed casualties to make sure I was only fighting the Flamer, and directed all my attacks against it. He had to make 1 save. He rolled a die and it came up a 2, so I said "ok he's dead then" but he said that that was him rolling for his wounds. Of course that's a load of bull cause his attacks were happening at initiative 2 and there was no need for him to have been rolling them yet in the first place. His strategy in this situation is to talk louder than you, and since I was in no mood for this crap I just said fine reroll it and he passed his save. Of course the guardsmen passed their moral check meaning I couldn't shoot at either the flamer for the easy kill point, or the DP to stop it from rampaging through my lines. This ended up costing me the game as I lost 5-7.

When all was said and done he had 1(!) Seeker, like 5 bloodletters, 4 horrors, and a Demon Prince with 1 wound. I had 2 russes, the mantiore (albiet with no missiles left, but he still had his Heavy bolter), Marbo, a chimera, 2 vet squads, and a single meltagunner from my PCS. Now I'm gonna say this. In the last turn, he didn't fail any saves. At all. He wasn't failing a whole lot throughout the game anyway, but I killed nothing on the last turn (Turn 5). Marbo didn't come in until turn 5, and the manticore should have polished off the seekers after shooting them for 3 turns, but somehow one managed to survive. It kills me to think I was 2 wounds away from a draw but couldn't get him to fail a save on the last turn. Ugh.

And sadly that's really the only game of note. Rounds 2 and 3 were against Tyranids. The first conceded on turn 4. The second conceded on turn 3. Neither game was particularly interesting or fun. Neither of them had much in the way of anti-tank, and while I enjoy teaching new players the nuances of the game, nobody wants to get shelled into oblivion and have their army's back broken by turn 2. I just hope the horrendously one sided nature of the games didn't turn them off to 40k as a whole. I was sympathetic though, I've been on the opposite end of this many ordnance templates, and it is never pleasant.

The Demon player ended up going 3-0 (The computer we use to determine matchups even paired him down in round 2, since there were an odd number of players who won their first game, he ended up playing someone who lost in round 1. Weak). Me and 4 other players ended up 2-1. One other guy lost to the demon player and still went 2-1, so I argued then that me and him should round out the top 3, maybe with 2nd going to him and 3rd going to me based on SoS. They ended up just going straight SoS and I finished in 4th. One spot short of store credit. It was like the universe was conspiring against me. I played the one player there who was likely to beat me in the first round, in the exact combo of mission/deployment that my army was most likely to suck at. Never been so disappointed with a 2-1 finish.... Maybe if rounds 2 and 3 were better games I'd feel better about it.....

On the brighter side, my Record with Guard is now 4-1-3 (7-1-3 if you count the team tournament). And 2 of those losses were to my one friend's Kan Wall list, which at 1000 points is a real bastard. I'm thinkin as I bring my army up to 2000 points that I'll cut Marbo (he was useless! First game he doesn't come till turn 5, and kills nothing, second game I brought him on at my opponent's back objective, and let his out-of-synapse-range termagants have it. The plate covered the entire squad and he made all his cover saves, third game he accounted for 3 maybe 4 genestealers.) and probably cut the 2nd veteran squad in favor of an identical infantry platoon. I think that brings me to somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000, though I'd also like to add a lord commisar to make my infantry blobs stubborn and Ld10. in the first 2 games I had the same situation of losing combat but staying based on leadership, and thus losing a turn of shooting at priority targets, but the squads lived through the next turn as well, and then ran. It would have been nice if they could have stayed again and held stuff up during my opponent's turn.

The enemy's gate is down

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Sounds like a lot of tough breaks. TBH with the dice thing he was blatantly off. As you say, it's not even his turn to swing. I'd have been tempted to appeal to the TO. It's going to bug you that you didn't now
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x2)

Oh you have no idea...... that probably cost me the game, since I wouldn't have had to waste a whole unit shooting down 1 guy in the critical closing turns of the game. I feel like every time I play this guy we have to involve the TO an inordinate number of times. The TO likes me a lot, but he's better friends with the other guy... I don't really like doing that anyway, since I feel the players should be able to resolve their own problems, but lately I've been getting the distinct feeling that most people aren't good sports about this sort of thing.......

So, I'll try not to be too bitter. Last time I played him was in the team tourney, and we schooled him and his buddy despite the fact that they kept trying to cheat us (in similar ways to what happened here). Next time my friend is bringing his Kan Wall instead of his Blood Angels. Having been owned by this list twice, I'm very excited to see what my 1000 points can do to help it.

Also I gotta add, I was a bit skeptical on the manticore. I posted a topic asking how people found them to work out, and got reviews ranging from it's awesome in every way to it's decent if you are running the type of list that supports it. I have no idea what that list is, since I've never seen one of the Guard players at my store use one, but I gotta say it worked really well in this tourney. It was Hell on Wheels. If only Opponent #1 had failed even above average saves with his seekers, it would have polished them off (he was rolling insanely for them all game) and it was devestating in games 2 and 3. Not that I needed the help a whole lot in those games. 5-7 pie plates a turn is awesome. And the look on your opponents face when they realize that you have been rolling buckets of dice and aren't even halfway through your shooting phase is priceless.
    Last edited by Der_Kaiser; December 20th, 2010 at 03:51.
    The enemy's gate is down

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The manticore is insane! One of the best heavy support units. I used to run all flavors of leman russes when I was playing guards, but they have always felt somewhat lacking. They're either for anti-infantry or anti-tank. Manticores can take on both infantry and tanks. Sure they're more fragile than a Russ, but by deploying them properly (i.e. out of LOS and at the very least with cover), it's not that bad. The few times I've gone up against manticores, they've pounded on both my space wolves and nids. And their cost is very reasonable. They are now my heavy support of choice (along with a squad of 2 hydras).

Too bad about your tourney lost against the daemon player. You should've just left the heavy weapon teams on the table (preferably on top of some ruins) so that they could do damage right away.

Also, I wouldn't drop the veterans if I were you. You need more special weapons, and veterans provide those in spades. What you need to drop are the squadroned leman russes. Just have 1 of each. Actually, ditch one of the russes (the battle cannon russ, keep the demolisher) and get a second manticore. Then with the points you saved, you can get another meltavet squad in chimera and perhaps more infantry as well. BTW, don't give your PCS 4 meltas. They are terribad shots. Give them 4 flamers instead.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x2)

Ah, but a PCS with 4 meltas is cheaper than vets and hits with the same number of meltas on average than a vet squad with 3 meltas, with the potential to hit with 4. I was worried that if my heavy weapons were on table, they'd just get owned, cause he had shooty stuff in the form of flamers, horrors, and the soul grinder. But eh, hindsight's 20/20.
    The enemy's gate is down

+ Reply to Thread