Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Been looking at the IG Codex and searching up some lists and I'm planning on getting some models after Christmas...depending on what I get from my family
To start before I spam y'all with questions I want to say my list will be a primarily Mech list with primarily 3x MeltaVets in a Chimera "spam" if you'll call it with Valkyries and our awesome Heavy Support tanks. That is probably what I want to base it around and I would rather not have any ground infantry, just mostly tanks and Chimeras. I finished my Tyranid army and had to do 40+ Genestealers and 80+ Termagants...no more!!!! (Imagine painting that...) I want this army to be few models (hence tanks) and not stressful to put together with 1,000 bodies like Nids...
So here we go!
Edit: I'm planning to make a list up to around 1,750 points! Forgot to mention that...
1) What is the most common loadout for Valkyries? I am REALLY liking the Vendetta Gunship version and plan on running 1-2 of them at almost every point level. Plus I think they look super cool. I like the Vendetta version but don't know what the most common other wargear is used to equip on it.
2) Like the above question what is the most common loadout on a Chimera with 3x Melta Vets in the inside? I see a lot of lists with Heavy Flamers... Are Chimeras suppose to be suiciding in close to the enemies to drop off the Vets?
3) Linking to question 2, why do most people put Melta's on Vet squads riding Chimeras. I would think they could put longer range weapons like replacing 2x Vets with Heavy Weapon Vets, giving them Auto Cannons and making use of that 36" range that they have. Not to mention the multi-laser on the Chimera is also 36" so you can stay clear of your enemy a lot easier! Why do most lists I see go 3xmelta vet/flamer chimera?
4) Before I ask this question please do not take into account what models are not available by GW. I have no problem converting or buying FW models. I actually enjoy it
What heavy slot should I choose? There are so many good options and being completely new and just almost finished reading the Codex I can't decide! I also don't want to buy stuff and be disappointed it doesn't have good synergy with the rest of my army... Ok so knowing I am going to run 1-2 Valks, Chimera spam with either melta/flamer what heavy slots should I take to compliment this list and why? Any explanation on synergy and why you are suggesting certain tanks would be extremely welcomed and appreciated! Please suggest multiple models not just single ones as I am planning to buy the entire army and everything I need to convert for it at once. (Cheaper ) Thinking Lemans Russ's in 1-2 models/unit, Hydras in 1-2 models/unit and Basilisks in 1-2 models/unit? But I have no idea I'm just picking randomly what sounded cool...no idea if it even works well or compliments the rest of my list >_<
5) Is this list that I started and getting help to compile going to be fairly competitive? A majority of the lists I see out there are infantry heavy for IG. As I said earlier I really don't want to do the horde like model construction again since I got burned out doing it for my Nids army...
6) One last little question...I don't see any psychic defense stuff anywhere in the Codex. Thought Psyker Battle Squads or that Psyker HQ would do something but no Psychic hoods or anything anywhere. Does IG have no psychic defense?
Wow thanks for all the incredible feedback! This really helps a lot guys!
Now I understand a little more of how to play the army I'm trying to put together and what I'm lacking in.
Two more questions, hopefully the last
1) This is going to be a two part question since it has to do with the same Chimera/MeltaVet/Heavy Slot linking with each other synergistically. (is that a word..?)
a- Do I have enough anti-av for 1,500-1,750 games with all the Chimera/MeltaVets and 1-2 Vendettas? I'm assuming I am going to without a doubt have enough anti-AV but just wondering what you fellow guard think.
b- Since I more than likely do have enough anti-AV what is the BEST anti-infantry I can get in my heavy slots? I'm thinking of filling those slots with anti-infantry since I'm going to be packing a lot of melta/lascannons already. (at least 9 Melta/3 las)
2) Any tips on using the Chimera? Is it normally sit back and fire till you need to use the melta? or are they more than not used to rush into AV13/14 vehicles or monstrous creatures early on and blast away? Any general advice or tips on Chimeras would be great
Thanks again for all your help so far guys.
Last edited by Syypher; December 21st, 2010 at 17:05.
The LRBT is pretty solid as an anti-infantry choice. Demolishers with hull HF perform pretty well in this area also.
Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!
What other choices other than the LRBT as far as Heavy Slots go are the best anti-infantry we have? I'm trying to decide so I know what to purchase. Being new to IG I don't want to buy the wrong tanks and be disappointed in their performance of what I need them for. So...best Heavy Slot anti-infantry choice other than Leman Russ' and their variants?
Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!
What HQ choice and how is it equipped normally? I'm thinking CCS but what loadout do most people use in a Mech Vet list? More Meltas??
As far as Heavy Slots I'm thinking 1x LRBT and 2x manticores so far. Maybe not 2x Manticores? What do you guys think?
Last edited by Syypher; December 22nd, 2010 at 05:36.
My Meched up CCS has 2 Plasma guns and a Plasma Pistol and that seems to do fine against Monstrous creatures and putting the hurt on any foolish deep strikers. You could load up on more Plasma or go all Melta. In mech just treat it as another Verteran squads thats more expendable as its not a scoring unit.
In 1750 are you going to be able to fit in 3 Vendettas, 2 Manticores and a LEman Russ? At 1750 I'd take at least 4 troop choices so make sure you don't leave yourself short when it comes to scoring units.
Thanks for the suggestion and reply Borak. My 1,500 list has 3x Chimera+MeltaVets, 2x Vendettas, 2x Manticores, 1x LRBT with 100 points to spare. I think I can easily do 4-5 Chimera+MeltaVets at 1750. What I'm having a hard time with now is if I want to stay with 2x Manticores or not. I have on problem converting or buying FW models at all. No problem whatsoever so suggestions should not be limited to just GW models.
What do you guys think? Should I go with 2x Manticores or just 1 and diversify for something else? I just keep thinking that Manticores are probably my best option since they have such good anti-av and can also be great anti-infantry and serve both purposes. When Hydras and Battery's are more linear...thoughts?
Also how would you go about filling up 100 points...just start putting upgrades all over the vehicles?
I don't think 2 manticores are neccessary, 1 is plenty. At least I wouldn't take 2 for my local metagame. But I am not a big fan of Manticore at all.
100 pts. is a lot, spending it all on vehicles upgrades wouldn't be wise. You can buy 2 sentinels with autocannons for ~80, or Demo veterans with flamers for ~115, or Marbo for 65, or heavy weapon squad, or infantry squad, etc.