Dreaming of Stormravens - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreaming of Stormravens

So recently I've been seeing pictures of the stormraven gunship model that GW is hinting at releasing and after seeing its stats in the Blood Angel Book, really makes me envious of Blood Angels (along with all of thier other goodies). Since i am a normal codex marine player, i do not have access to this beautiful piece of machinery for my army. I was wondering, Do you guys think that GW will release a pdf or a white dwarf entry for the stormraven other marine dexes like they did for the night spinner for eldar? And if so, how do you guys think this will affect normal marines? Interestingly enough i haven't seen any proxys or conversions of this model in any blood angels army, if i had access to this model i would definitely add 1 or even 2 to my list. What do you guys think?

My Dice keep me in check

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Eh, it's not bad but not fantastic. My biggest issue with it is that it's overpriced, especially compared to equivalent gunships in other armies (Vendetta, Valkerie) that do the exact same thing.

Really, about half of the standard gear on it should have been optional purchases, and it shoulda been a lot cheaper. Then I'd consider it a good and balanced unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but is the Valkyrie/Vendetta Melta Resistant? Is it an Assaut vehicle? does it come with great free upgrades? Does it have power of the machine spirit? I agree with you on the too much standard equipment and it could be a little cheaper, but still..... I also didn't see if it could transport terminators or not.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

1. Melta resistant really doesn't mean squat on an AV12 vehicle. Missile and Autocannon spam will be what's bringing them down.
    2. No, but that really isn't worth as much as you might think. You can always just turbo-boost up to something this turn, and then jump out and assault it at the start of the next turn. Just sayin'.
    3. The term 'Great' is debatable, the term 'Free' doesn't even qualify when the base cost of the vehicle is 200 points
    4. The machine spirit in my opinion is the singular major advantage the SR has - it's not at all worth the massive extra costs, though. I would gladly and eagerly run vendettas over the valkeries, any day of the week.

And yes, it can transport terminators. Unless it explicitly can't, then it can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is a good way to look at it but, then it would be completely OP if it cost as much as a Valkyrie or a vendetta. I think that the points come from the fact that you can transport Dreadnoughts and assualt with them out of the SR. It also has the ability to be upgraded for free with most upgrades available and has the ability to be a huge fire support gunship with PotMS.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Certainly as it is at that price would be pretty nuts, but consider what the Vendetta has - it's a 12/12/10 fast skimmer with 3 TL Lascannons and a 12 man carrying capacity, for 130 points. While the initial salvo from a stock Raven will be higher, once all those single use missiles are gone it'll have a fair bit *less* punch over the long run compared to a Vendetta. the only way a Raven can consistantly match that firepower over the long run is to dump even more points into extra upgrades, and run a TL Lascannon and a Typhoon launcher for something like 240 points (don't have the codex handy). There's 3 Vendettas in the vast majority of competative IG lists these days, and generally filled with a vetern squad with 3 BS4 meltaguns. The whole combined unit comes in around 200 points....which is the cost of an empty Raven.

And the Vendetta's heavy bolter sponsons are about a third the price of our hurricane bolter sponsons, while still being nearly as good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Commander View Post
    but is the Valkyrie/Vendetta Melta Resistant? Is it an Assaut vehicle? does it come with great free upgrades? Does it have power of the machine spirit? I agree with you on the too much standard equipment and it could be a little cheaper, but still..... I also didn't see if it could transport terminators or not.
    Like watchwood said, it doesn't need to have Melta resistance. If you're using Melta guns against a vendetta, you're not using against that big scary demolisher looking angrily your way. As an IG player, I'll take POSSIBLY losing the vendetta over a russ. On that note, if I'm right next to something that could melta it, either a) It's moved flat-out, so I get a save, or b), there's a squad of angry veterans who have probably already destroyed something much more valuable then the vendetta is worth.

The Vendetta doesn't need to be an assault vehicle. It's a gunship. Cheap. Reliable. Deadly.
    It comes with free upgrades, yes, and some quite handy rules, such as being able to move flat out and still deploy it's contents.
    No, it doesn't have power of the machine spirit, but it doesn't really need it.

And no, it can't transport terminators.

All said, Watchwood has brought Storm ravens against me, and the consensus is, for the points, they're just not *that* good. They're okay. Thats all.
    Last edited by cKerensky; December 23rd, 2010 at 21:56. Reason: Derp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I've got a converted valkery as my stormraven and I can't say enough good things about it. The combo of fire power and transport capacerty makes it one hell of a unit.

That picture you've seen (if it's the one I'm thinking of) may or may not be real. Personaly I hope it's fake, I think that big turret on top looks fugly.
    It isn't planned to be made available for other marines any time in the near future but the Daemonhunters are getting it in their new codex. If you want to play with one you'll either have to get a BA codex or one of the new DH codices when it comes out.

If you already have a marine army it wouldn't be to hard to play them with the BA codex, you wouldn't even have to get any of the BA specific units if you didn't want to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Also, rumoured to get Valkyries as dedicated transports for Storm Troopers. Yes please. I'll take four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

They're lots of fun to play with. Not cost-effective at all. They hit hard, so that makes people on the receiving end cry shenanigans, but for the guys building lists around them, they don't hit nearly hard enough to justify the price tag.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast