Infantry heavy Catachans - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infantry heavy Catachans

Hi all,

Just wondering if you thought an infantry heavy army could be competitive, with sentinals and maybe a Hellhound or two to back them up. Was looking into doing a Catachan army on top of my mech Cadians and from the fluff/my logic tanks don't seem right in a Catachan army!

Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Campbell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Competitive? Maybe. Time consuming to build and play? Yes. Long range hitting power would be the main weakness that I can think of, plus the high body count it is likely to give up. Some ordinance might help here, Vendettas might be good as well.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Why, Weevil ol' chap, you might be right!

Infantry armies are certainly competitive. Though I would *suggest* taking sentinels, and possibly artillery like Iron suggested.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    Why, Weevil ol' chap, you might be right!

Infantry armies are certainly competitive. Though I would *suggest* taking sentinels, and possibly artillery like Iron suggested.
    I don't dispute the possible efficacy of an infantry force, but building and painting one strikes me as an exercise in masochism . I don't recommend ths army style for tournament play, unless you bring a helper to speed up deployment, movement, and clean up. Some of my paper infantry lists ran between 200-300 infantry. Scary stuff hehe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

I can only imagine. The eye rolls I get when I deploy my 1750 hybrid list is enough. I can only imagine a full infantry list.

"Oh good. You've deployed your infantry...what? What do you mean thats only ONE platoon? How many do you have? UGH!"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

If remember, I might have to dig up and post a 5th ed version of my old attrition list to the Army list section later tonight.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    I can only imagine. The eye rolls I get when I deploy my 1750 hybrid list is enough. I can only imagine a full infantry list.

"Oh good. You've deployed your infantry...what? What do you mean thats only ONE platoon? How many do you have? UGH!"
    I've been toying with abusing the Dawn of War deployment with 1-2 maxed out infantry platoons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

shrug, i like playing all-infantry lists. yes, it's time-consuming (especially if your guardsmen are assigned squad markings, which i do recommend so you can keep track in-game of who's with who) to deploy and move, and in general the majority of game time will be your turn. so you might feel bad for your opponent, but.... shrug, oh well.

my 2k list is like 2 hq command squads, 6 plt command squads (1 with al'rahem), 16 infantry squads (4 in al'rahem plt; all usually combined to 20-man units), and 6 sentinels. i don't mind the time-consuming part... though i've slowly come to realize i only really play games because i want a reason to play with my models on the tabletop and move them around the terrain, the opponent being there... just kind of a necessary inconvenience. on the bright side, your turns will shorten a lot either from you running out of targets to annihilate with heavy weapons fire and horrendous salvoes of ordered lasgun fire or from your opponent butchering your infantry squads... or both.

from my experience, the hq command squads should provide most of the orders you need, plus the standard bubbles. the plt command squads are nice for the run and shoot orders, so they can advance close behind your infantry squads, and support them with flamers (to burn the enemy after they slaughter the infantry squad).

i also suggest finding a nice balance between which squads will be static w/ heavy weapons and which will be your constant advancing squads w/ just special weapons for when you need to take objectives in the mid-ground and focus on lasgun barrages while the squads with heavy weapon teams can focus on 'bring it down' attacks until all armor has been eliminated.

a big counter to the list i've found, is your opponent will usually create a wall of los-blocking terrain in the center of the board then generally overload one of your flanks, and then spend the rest of the game hiding from the rest of your army. shrug, it's kinda annoying when your footslogging army does covers more ground in the game than a all-mech list hiding in a corner.

but that's where al'rahem and sentinels can come in handy with outflanking... to a certain degree, if the opponent's entire army is in the corner and you're playing killpoints, then the outflanking force is more of a liability.

the new DE can also be a bit of a challenge due to their easy ability to alpha strike, so careful with your deployment should they get the first turn move and charge. but once they hit your frontline infantry shields, mob up with the flamer squads (will have to deal with FnP), and copious amounts of lasgun fire.

oh, another thing i've looked into being useful but i've just been too lazy lately to make the models for, psyker battle squads are very useful in a list like this, since you'll only have to inflict half casualties before you can send units running for their lives, or in the case of space marines, you might buy a few extra turns of preventing them from running into your lines, or just forcing a static shooty unit to move out of position. should only have to line up the psyker squads along your back line since they'll be high-threat targets to your opponent, and you want him to move closer to the rest of your army while the psykers utilize that 36" range to the best of their ability.

shrug, anyways in summary, i approve all-infantry lists. (current project is painting a full space marine veteran company for apocalypse games)

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

I like the idea of the infantry lists. Unfortunately I only have about a third of the painted infantry that I'd need to pull it off. How does your list deal with heavy armor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

generally, 4 lascannons and 6 missile launchers in infantry squads usually backed with the 'bring it down' spell.
    4 autocannons on the scout sentinels (2 heavy flamers on the last squadron)
    2 meltaguns on al'rahem since he can outflank and cast 'bring it down' on himself and another 4 meltaguns on my frontline shield infantry squads.

av14 is manageable if there's only 1, or 2 if you get lucky and 1-shot the one of them. otherwise, the meltaguns will handle them... but any terminators they're carrying will be within charge distance by then. monoliths with all their special rules are the hardest to kill, especially if they take 3 and deep-strike them into your lines... in that case, good game.

if you have the psyker squads, a full unit has a s10 shot you could use. and marbo's demo charge too if you take him and need that charge to crack armor.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast