Infantry Trouble - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infantry Trouble

So i played a game today and ran into some difficulties, i had a group of 10 guardsmen pop onto the board in front of a group of 20 guardsmen in the hopes of acting as a buffer. I then gave orders to the group of 20 men to do first rank fire second rank fire onto a group of guants.

my friend then said that he will get cover saves because the men i was shooting with had intervening units in the way. after checking the rules i found that he was right. I wanted to let everyone be aware that that tactic wont work as effectively because the enemy will get to use cover saves.

the only way this might work out better is if the first rank of 10 men go to ground (perhaps with the special "to ground" orders)

i figured everyone should prepare better for this because it really hurt my strategy and was one of the reasons why i inevitably lost today. among other poor choices on my part i might add!

if anyone knows a better way to keep big blocks of guardsmen alive lemmi know

Iron Hands 3000+ pts
    DIY Imp. Guard 1800 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Park them in regular cover....or just don't care about it? An average guardsman works out at 5 pts per model, before upgrades. So just buy some more, and spread them out to reduce the effectiveness of templates and blastguns if it's a concern. Considering that you'll flat out DIE to the rifles and sidearms of most armies, I'm really not too sure if that's something I'd personally want to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my worry was that because i had a block of guys it only takes a couple gene stealers to rip them to shreds. my friend only had a few things assault them and it was just over for my guys. i like the idea of having sacraficial lambs to be devoured first to give the next wave an extra turn to shoot or assault but i dont like putting out less las fire because of cover.

my friend loves doing multi assaults so if i dont layer my men then he will likely pull them all into close combat if he can. idk i just want my gurdsment to have a little more protection but i understand they are just guardsmen.
    Iron Hands 3000+ pts
    DIY Imp. Guard 1800 pts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSoul View Post
    my friend then said that he will get cover saves because the men i was shooting with had intervening units in the way. after checking the rules i found that he was right. I wanted to let everyone be aware that that tactic wont work as effectively because the enemy will get to use cover saves.
    It goes by true-line-of-sight. So tanks can shoot over a line of infantry easily without giving cover to their target. While infantry can only shoot over other infantry if they're perched on a hill or something.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Something you can do isbunch up the back unit, prefferable the larger unit and give them an order such as FRFSRF, then shoot the enemy, a lottle off to the side is a smaller unit who can then make a run move to get int blocking position.

Here's a diagram:

1=Larger unit
    2=smaller unit
    E=Enemy

E E E EE E E E EEE
    E EEE E E E EE E

Since most of the unit can see the enemy normally they may fire without giving cover saves, however ater unit 2 makes its run move (move move move would be a very good idea).

E EEE E E E EE E

2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

The tactic can be used with this modification, it is however fairly risky as you can roll badly for your run move, and is only usefulif denying your opponent cover from one unit will cause more damage than the shooting of the other unit. generally though i'd reccomend firing both units and giving them cover from one. The cover saves will only be particularly useful against some special/heavy weapons to most targets, although horde armies will like thecover.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread