Librarians - worth the points or not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Librarians - worth the points or not?

I've never used one as I prefer a standard Captain for the points but many friends feel they are far more useful.

What do they see that I don't?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 100 points, Librarians get a bunch of free stuff. Free power (force!) weapon, psychic hood and two free psychic powers.

Pretty much any very competitive list will have one just for the hood and Nullzone. Nullzone is really good against things like Seer Council, Assault Terminatorsand other superunits that are usually hard for SM to beat.

I do like the Captain, but to make him the king of close combat he should be you must buy a Relic Blade or similar decent weapon, and to have any hope against swarms or powerweapons you need Artificer Armour/Storm Shield respectively.

This makes him way more expensive than a base Librarian, and he does a job that could be filled by just buying more Assault units. Librarians do something nothing else in the codex can do. Even then, one good use of Avenger/Vortex of Doom can net you many more points worth in kills than a souped up Captain.

4. ThanksBikerboy thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very fond of librarians, though you must find their use in their psychic abilities and not in their stat line. Just the fact i killed multiple tuned up hyve tyrants with one blow while my opponent thought the damage would come from my librarians terminator retinue is just wonderfull. Alsi the gate of infinity is very nice while playing with objectives, what is 2/3 of the time the case. You can always try to contest that last vital objective with one lucky teleport, and win or draw an otherwisely lost game!

I suggest you consult a tactica overview, the ammount of combos to be made are simply to overwhelming for me to post here!

6. ThanksBikerboy thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Librarians are by far my favourite HQ for vanilla marines.
    Even when taking a basic librarian at 100pts, he offers much more than a captain. His versatility lies in the fact that his powers aid not only the offensive but also the defensive capacities of your army. Though his powers may not be the best around, they get the job done. His force weapon can instant death virtually any opponont which only adds to libby's combat prowess. I think that point for point you'll be hard pressed to find a better HQ choice for vanilla marines.

8. ThanksBikerboy thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add, a big weakness of Librarian is no Invulnerable save, so keep him out of combat or in a unit if possible.

The other way to keep him safe is the option of Terminator Armour and Stormshield. Lets you last much longer against weight of attacks, AP3,AP2,AP1 and Powerweapons. It also makes you Relentless, which makes Vortex of Doom viable.

10. ThanksBikerboy thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They do get an inv. save if you throw some termie plate on him. My Termie Librarian is just 1 of 5 of my HQ options so I don't run him all the time, but against some opponents he is essential... for the hood alone.

I paired a Termie Libbie with a Termie Chaplain with a unit of assault Termies (TH/SS) once and was called a cheater, lol. Between the Libbie's psychic buffs, the Chaplain's buffs and the already hard Termies.... expensive unit but it tore through everything like a freight train.
    Rules for playing massive tabletop games with star wars miniatures!
    http://starwarstabletopbattles.webs.com/

12. ThanksBikerboy thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Yes!

Kendo's DA's, Eldar, and stuff WIP
    Dark Angels: W-22 D-4 L-5 High Elves W-8 L-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hadn't considered all the options as I usually use a re-named Cassius and Pedro as my HQ's. A Lib is a finely tuned unit you have to have a lot of practice with to use well and can die quickly if unlucky (I am) so I go for raw damage capacity as far as I can manage. My army is themed totally anti-nid so maybie I'm biased but I have thought about a Lib for Vortex/Doom to use as a synapse killer.
    For the Kir'La Sept, For the Ta'Ro'Cha, For the Survival the Galaxy against the Great Devourer. - Shas'O 'Dark Fire' Skilled Tyranid Hunter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the input. I run a bike army so was trying to see if it was possible to get him in there somehow and how he could complement this list.

Ususally I run the relic blade toting captain on bike to get bikes for troop choices. Wondered whether it was useful to have him as a secondary support HQ on a bike to give him better toughness and allow relentless rules to improve him further.

Planning a 1750 list full of bikes, typhoon speeders, ironclad dread and vindis. To include Librarian something would have to go so not sure whether he's a better bet than these units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Lybrarian can make or break a battle. The equipment isn't so much of a worry as he already comes with killer weapons and you only have to think about armour and transport. Many psi powers are shooting phase so no gun options need be considered.

Choice of powers (they are free) is something that can be tailored to suit any army and any role within that army. The powers to give additional strength make for a great tank buster and Fex killer, especilly considering the force weapon. One battle I was a part of, a Lyb killed a Fex, two zoanthropes and managed to survive till the end of the battle. On the other hand they can tie up a HQ slot, some points and then get killed or fail a warp test first turn. This situation happed more than once to me and cost me a few key battles so I went for the far more reliable "Use a bigger tank" theorum.
    For the Kir'La Sept, For the Ta'Ro'Cha, For the Survival the Galaxy against the Great Devourer. - Shas'O 'Dark Fire' Skilled Tyranid Hunter.

+ Reply to Thread