Combat Engineers! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combat Engineers!

Lately I've been toying with the idea of converting my current army into a combat engineers company and I've come up with a few ideas. As of right now I'm using the Cadian 8th color scheme and for the most part playing mech guard. The theme is that even though the 8th is mostly an infantry based regiment their combat engineers company has been given some modified vehicles to get the job done. The main job of this company is to breach heavy fortifications, level buildings, and clear out debris for the rest of the regiment. This means getting up close and personal with the enemy and no regard for collateral damage.

A few variations to the traditional mech list and this idea is easily doable. I'd like to hear anyone elses ideas too because there are still a few gaps to fill. What I've come up with so far is

Leman Russ Demolishers: Closely resemble the Churchill AVRE and will fit the role of bulldozers and bunker busters well.

Veterans with meltaguns and demolition charges mounted in chimeras: Basically more bunker busters, and anti-tank.

Ogryns and Lord Commissar: The heavy lifters and in combat used to punch holes in the enemy lines.

Manticore: For getting heavy ordinance in hard to reach places. Medusa might fit the theme better but I'd rather not convert one. The manticore compliments the list better anyway.

Everything has dozer blades and hull flamers. Except the manticore.

I'm shooting for around 1500 points and there are still plenty to spare. There are a lot of expensive units in this list and plenty of weaknesses but it would be fun to play.

What additions would fit well in this army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

One tweak I'd advise is switching out the meltas on your vets for flamers. The melta-bombs already fill the anti-tank role, and the flamers fit better thematically, the historic use of flamethrowers was to clear out bunkers and fortifications, and to remove brush in jungle warfare.

Ogryns really aren't great, but you're going for a theme army, so if you want them, then okay. Have you considered a Hellhound? I always see them as rolling through streets in urban warfare, burning the enemy out of their holes with its mighty Inferno cannon. Vendettas might work well as air support, as well as rappelling troops down onto buildings and having them clear it floor by floor. Sentinels would be fun as well, they can pick their way through the streets and support the engineers as load lifters when the fighting's over.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hate to put that BS4 to waste by giving them flamers. I've been considering the sentinel idea though although i don't currently have any models. The hellhound would also fit in nicely or maybe the devil dog(still don't think this list has enough anti-tank). The list is definitly lacking troops though. I think a platoon with autocannons and grenade launchers to guard the manticore and sit on objectives wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferdiah View Post
    I'd hate to put that BS4 to waste by giving them flamers. I've been considering the sentinel idea though although i don't currently have any models. The hellhound would also fit in nicely or maybe the devil dog(still don't think this list has enough anti-tank). The list is definitly lacking troops though. I think a platoon with autocannons and grenade launchers to guard the manticore and sit on objectives wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Maybe so, but I still feel that giving them both demolitions and meltas is a redundant waste of points. Consider taking Demolitions away and taking some special weapons squads with flamers and a demo charge. I'd also advise against the Devil Dog, the Hellhound really is a better tank. You'll have plenty of anti-tank through meltas and Demolitions, but there's nothing in the army that can do the same thing as the Inferno Cannon. The objective-sitter is fine, but you might need a Commissar to ensure they stick around.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I think the FW drop sentinels would fit your theme.

Forge World - ELYSIAN DROP SENTINEL

They just look like little compact sentienels that are more heavily armoured, perfect for cityfighting. They could also represent armoured or scout sentinels, even coming with a similar pricetag $ wise.

You'd need to get some sentinel weapons from someone else, as this kit comes with a multi melta and heavy bolter, neither of which are options for conventional guard armies.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

I'd hate to put that BS4 to waste by giving them flamers.
    It's a waste to buy melta AND demolitions. Besides, 3 Flamers plus a Demo Charge is scary to everyone. Terminators included.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

haha the powerlifter surely?
    Forge World - SENTINEL POWERLIFTER

I agree that the hellhound varients as well as the demolisher offer the most "engineer" type feel for your force.
    Shotgun vets with carapace and demolitions doctrines would be cool for your troops. An engineer force will be smaller than a regular company so I think that would work out nicely.

Meltas and flamers both suit the theme, the problem you'll have is how to get all that close ranged firepower into range. Engineers aren't really meant to work alone. They are there to support the rest of the troops. The two options I would consider would be to
    A take some troops as "engineers" and then back them up with a more standard force
    or
    B download the Siege Army pdf off the Forgeworld website and use their engineer troop types. They can arrive via an enhanced sort of deepstrike using their breaching drills which should make an engineer focused army more viable.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow those sentinels are actually pretty cheap compared to the regular ones and Elysian stuff just looks awesome. They'd fit well for the role of heavy lifting and scouting out weak spots in combat.

Two rules for the army are that theres no flying units so vendettas/valkyries would be out of the question, and that it only uses codex units.

There's still the dilemma with the veterans though. If I take away the meltas I lose a lot of my anti-tank power since I only usually take about 2 veteran squads. I could just move the demolitions to two special weapons squads(2 flamers, 1 demolition charge) and keep the meltas with the veterans. Giving everything hunter-killer missiles might be an option which would fit well with the whole modified vehicles theme. Other than that I'd have to get creative with the anti-tank.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Wow those sentinels are actually pretty cheap compared to the regular ones and Elysian stuff just looks awesome. They'd fit well for the role of heavy lifting and scouting out weak spots in combat.

Two rules for the army are that theres no flying units so vendettas/valkyries would be out of the question, and that it only uses codex units.

There's still the dilemma with the veterans though. If I take away the meltas I lose a lot of my anti-tank power since I only usually take about 2 veteran squads. I could just move the demolitions to two special weapons squads(2 flamers, 1 demolition charge) and keep the meltas with the veterans. Giving everything hunter-killer missiles might be an option which would fit well with the whole modified vehicles theme. Other than that I'd have to get creative with the anti-tank.
    If you are running a "fun" list you might be able to get away with running an IA8 Elysians list. They can put multimeltas on those drop sentinels.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Special weapons squads with demo charges positively scream "combat engineer"...and combat engineers are trained to perform a secondary role as infantry, so two infantry squads with autocannons and flamers wouldn't be out of place. The PCS could provide more melta lovin, since you're feeling weak on anti-tank. For sentinels, the catachan pattern (heavy flamer and chainsaw thingie for extra CCW) seems to fit the theme best.

The manticore is in no way, shape, manner, or form "engineer-y," it's very clearly artillery.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast