Is astorath any good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Is astorath any good?

i have recently bought the astorath model just for the fact that he looks cool and io can always use him as a chaplain/reclusiarch in lower points games. what i am basically wondering is whether he is worth the points in semi competetive games. i commonly play chaos but also against other armies.
    i thought that he might be good at killing HQ due to good werapon skill and initiave, also his special weapon.
    also i thought his 'shadow of the primarch' rule could be good but it is still only a 50/50 and you can get practically the same from some sanguinary priests.

so what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

"Shadow..." isn't much use IMO, but the weapon is very nice, and he goes well will jump pack DC. An excellent HQ hunter
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Why do you thin that shadow is not much use. Is it just because it's 50/50 or because it just isn't much use.
    Also, do you think that he is worth the points in a balanced BA list. I.e. Some mech, some jump pack and a drop pod.?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It's not that great because as you say furious charge is available through other means, that also provides FNP and lets you keep ATSKNF instead of fearless.

as long as a force is fast moving, he should fit in - but using him without DC is a bit of a waste. Him + 5 well armed DC in a stormraven would be an expensive but nasty unit.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Death company in storm raven sounds good as i am going to get one of those next and i already have some DC. In bigger games, i might even add lemartes and co in another storm raven....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Sure he's good ... as a target ;D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best thing about Astorath is taking away the 0-1 limit on Death Company. A few DC squads tooled up to slug it out in Drop Pods and some scouts with locator beacons to get low on objectives might be a cool idea for a list.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadows - DC

I have to disagree there. Removing the 0-1 limitation on DC simply allows youto invest in even more extremely expensive marines that can'tcap objectives. Even now, I struggle with taking a single unit that is rarely larger than 5 men strong.

On the other hand... a 50% chance of getting Furious Charge seems ike a good deal to me. I rarely get a single unit with FC normally, and if truly half my army is getting +1 S and I, I am confident that I am in good form to wreak havoc.

Granted, FC is of particular value against other Marines...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If points aren't a consideration, Sanguinor is the best HQ killer.
    Rules for playing massive tabletop games with star wars miniatures!
    http://starwarstabletopbattles.webs.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

I was thinking of sanguinor but he is pricey for a low wounds, low toughness, one man unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast