Need Help with Chapter Name - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help with Chapter Name

Hey guys, I'm currently in the works of making a chapter for my new space marines army and I'm really stuck for a name. I have around 1000 points, and so far it is a shooty army, with sniper scouts, devastators, a whirlwind and a couple other units. Other then that it isn't very interesting, HQ is a librarian, and I seem to like to use a axes for power weapons. It is not an overly competitive army, mainly for fun and theme.

The colour scheme is half purple, half black, with purple on the left side of the marine. The weapons are a dark red, and most cloth is also dark red. Boltgun is used for almost all of the metal. I have painted almost half the models I own for the army.

I was just wondering if anyone had any possible names or ideas they could share for a chapter such as this. I was possibly thinking of the emblem being a black tear drop outlined in red, on the purple shoulder pads, and I really thought a somber theme would go well with this Also it would be truly awesome if the word 'lachrymose' was somewhere in the title (even though I don't think it would sound very epic haha). If you have any questions as well let me know!

Nittsua

Nittsua... Eldar and Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

So it's a pretty static, shooty, gunline Chapter? Maybe the Thin Red Line, or Wall of Light, and nickname the Marines 'linemen'?

Or Firewatchers? Emperor's Sentinels?
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Reading through your description of the colour scheme, the first image that came to mind was of snakes - plenty of scope there, and I cant think of any "official" chapters with snakes in the name. Here's a couple of suggestions;

Striking Vipers
    Spitting Cobras
    Black Mambas

I did consider the purple pythons, but I think thats a species of trouser snake.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

So, your chapter causes tears/mourning and sheds tears on a regular basis ...

1. (The) Lachrymose Brotherhood OR (The) Brotherhood Lachrymose

2. (The) Lachrymose Legion OR (The) Legion Lachrymose

3. (The) Lachrymose Lamenters OR Lamentors ( Its interesting to note, that the Fortress-Monastery of the Lamenters is called "The Mater Lachrymarum". )

4. (The) Bringers of Lachrymose OR (The) Lachrymose Bringers

5. (The ) Bearers of Lachrymose OR (The) Lachrymose Bearers

6. (The) Reapers of Lachrymose OR (The) Lachrymose Reapers

7. (The) Monks of Lachrymose OR (The) Lachrymose Monks

This list seems a good start in the right direction.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow thanks for the ideas everyone! I expecially like The Brothers Lachrymose, but I am starting to think that lachrymose may be a bit to... wordy?.. in a chapter name. I may go with something about tear-shed or something, not completely sure. THanks for the ideas though, they were all great.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by praxis
    I cant think of any "official" chapters with snakes in the name.
    I can only think of the Iron Snakes, if you consider the black library novels to be official. I can understand if you don't though cos of all the liberties people take with the fluff
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

You might want to read this list of all the "official" chapter names for inspiration:

List of Space Marine Chapters - Lexicanum

Oh, and I think "Lachrymose" would make a fine name all by itself. Or maybe you could say that the official High Gothic form of the chapter name is "Fraternitas Lachrymose", the short form most often used is "Lachrymose" and in the bastardized Low Gothic they would be referred to something like Tearful Brotherhood or Tear-shed Brothers or similar.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

There's nothing at all saying that you gotta use an existing chapter for your marines - I certainly didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I think Fraternitas Lachrymose is a definate yes, and I really like the Low Gothic idea as well. Thanks a bunch everyone

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Just remembered where I've heard the word "Lachrymose" before. In the old film Excaliber, Merlin quotes to King Arthur "Lachrymose Mundi - the tears of the world." Useless information, but not a bad name itself.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast