Librarium Online Forums banner

Predators

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Brother Marius 
#1 ·
Witch do you prefer? And what sponsons do you normally equip them with?

The ultimate anti tank vehicle is obviously the Annihilator with lascannon equipped sponsons.
But isn’t a Destructor equipped with lascannons just as deadly?

A Destructor with heavy bolter sponsons spells death for infantry right?
But isn’t an Annihilator with heavy bolters just as effective, with one less shot but benifiting from twin linked it should hit just as often.

Extra armor? Smoke Launchers? Hunter killers? Pintal Storm bolters? Dozer Blades? What do you normally outfit your tanks with? Do you load up on gear to extend the life of your tank? Or go cheep so you don’t lose as many points when it inevitably explodes?

And what about the Vindicator? With the new rules I have seen more and more of them on the field of battle.

What are your thoughts on the various tanks available to the space marine army, each very different, and yet very much the same.
-GM

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the Destroctor!!! I like the versatility of the configuration, with the AutoCannon and the lasconnon side sponsons. I go pretty cheap, but i like to have extra armor. And now with the new rules, I'll be more likely to use my beloved Vindicator! HUURRAAYYY :lol:

#3 ·
My annihilator has heavy bolters on it's sponsons. That seemed the most all around to me, though If I get another one I'll probably make it a destructor with lascannon sponsons. The only upgrade they should have is extra armor. Smoke launchers prevent it from shooting which is it's main job and extra weapons just cost too much. As for the vindicator, I used mine alot with 3rd edition and will continue to use it in 4th. It of course has the obligatory extra armor and smoke launchers. Occasionally I'll give it a dozer blade if I have the points.

#4 ·
The only combos i would consider would be the straight anihilator (lascannons), straight destructor (heavey bolters), or a destructor with las cannons--
everything else sounds usless to me

#5 ·
I never mix my preds guns

i use a destructor against my friends eldar, and guard

i use my annihilator (spelling?) against my friend Dameon Hunters. For Dameon Hunters u need the overkill

i give my tanks extra armour and dozer blades.

I LOVE MY VINDICATOR, NEW RULES I LOVE IT EVEN MORE

#8 ·
I was thinking about going for the auto cannon / lascannon set up on the destructor for tank hunting. But I also envisioned my tank providing close support for my rhino unit and possibly snagging a table corner.
I think the lascannon turret with heavy bolters might end up being how I field it.
Or I'll just figure a way to use magnets to mount my weapons and be able to swap them when I need to. :)
-GM

#9 ·
I would go for a Lascannon turret with the Hvy bolter sponsons.

This way you can still move whilst laying down 7 shots a turn.

Shure the bolters are wasted when you fire at a tank, and the lascannon when you fire at a infantry squad. But the verstility allows you to shoot at them.

Extra armour only for me, too expensive to load up on and smokes are only useful for transports and dreads as they need to get close.

#10 ·
The best is a Baal with Heavy Bolters. :D

4 Twin Linked S6 AP4 Rending Shots + 6 S5 AP4 Shots = Heavy Infantry Death!

Plus the Assault Cannon is going to be pretty good for popping tanks too with the extra pen dice if you roll a 6.

Also adding a Storm Bolter gets you 12 total shots you can fire every turn! :D

#12 ·
I play salamanders so I have the option of fielding a Destructor with Heavy Flamer sponsons.
I was considering this for fluff reasons, and it is fun to tank shock into an enemy line then spew flames out either side. But until the enemy is close enough, I am stuck with just an auto cannon.
Now the Auto cannon can play a nice roll in destroying light transports, witch would free up my lascannons to target the harder nuts.
I am considering fielding the auto cannon/ Heavy flamer option and equipping it with a hunter killer and seeing how it does.
Am I crazy for considering this?
-GM

#15 ·
mixing weapons (like annihillator w/ HBs) seems so stupid to me. the turret is meant for killing tanks, and the HBs infantry. most of the time, you would want to take out an opponent's tank, so you would use the lascannons, no? and then what? fire your heavy bolters at some armour 14? no, i just always spend the extra 15 points and significantly increase my tank-killing power on a pred.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Edicius@Oct 7 2004, 21:32
Feh..A Baal is the most redundent unit in the Blood angels army.Why field a tank whose sole purpose is to mow down infantry when the entire rest of the amry is geared towards the same thing? I use lascannons ..tank-busty goodness.
[snapback]225652[/snapback]​

With the Assault Cannons new rules is is very good at busting armor. It will almost always have 4 hits from the Assault Cannon and the chances of getting a 6 on the pen roll are pretty good. If you do that then you automatically are going to pen armor 12 and can pen up to armor 17. :D

The big thing I like about it is that you usually only face a few tanks in an army. Once you are done with them there will always be troops left to mow down and This tank is very good at that. Lascannons aren't bad at it, but they still only throw a max of 3 shots a turn and that doesn't usually hurt as much as 12 shots even if they get saves.

#18 ·
I think that having flamers on tank sponsons is ridiculous. Even if you do get close enough to use them you will most likely only ever be able to use one since you must still fire at the same target. Now if flamers were allowed to target different units from vehicles it would be different, but for the points I'd rather have 6 shots every turn than one turn of a single flamer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.