Death Korp of Krieg = epic depression! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Death Korp of Krieg = epic depression!

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my feelings on the DKoK figurines from forgeworld. (I'm sure the following thoughts are shared by many of you!)

I honestly have little interest in standard cadian/catachan models, but the DKoK make it extremely tempting to suddenly devote myself to IG full-time. The price is clearly the most depressing thing about these miniatures as they easily come out the a little over double regular guard prices. This is devistating considering guard require large amount of infantry if you wish to field a platoon or 2.

Alternatively, I thought that I had a great solution! Buy a DKoK command squad and 40 DKoK guard for use of veteran squads. This way special weapons and the veteran cost soak up much of the point value, thus requiring less models!

AHHG! This doesn't work, for me at least. I figure if your going to drop $70 per squad, that you should at least stick to the theme of the army (fluff) or it just looks mismatched. Realistically, this alternative would be the steel legion mech style play, seeing as DKoK use mass infantry ordnance and trench tactics.

Also should not forget to mention that most of us could afford this army if we really wanted, but I cost out the two types of armies using pretty standard templates and I got the following for only a 1500 pt force:

- 4x vet squads + medusa, LRBT, chims, etc. = roughly $700 (more if you opt for forgeworld officer upgrade kits, shipping, and forgeworld vehicles)

- if you play DKoK fluff wise with something along the lines of 2-3 platoons + vehicles = $900+

I'd rather have 2 1500-1750pt armies for that kind of cash vs the single krieg army (although bad ass)

Oh and random, but I heard a very true point about nothing being more sad than unpainted or poorly painted Krieg models. Anyways this post is pretty random, but I needed to share my sadface emotions and embrace the community <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

If you wanted to stick true to fluff why don't buy the DKoK grenadiers and use them as veterans? They are the Death Korp's elite strike force after all. Just use them as vets with carapace.

Alternatively, why not do a combat engineers army? There are some great engineer models available, as well as the Demolitions doctrine in the codex.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Hey, so i modified my veterans list to something like this: (I'm not including their weapons or pts since this isn't the army list forum)

Company command squad
    5xStorm troopers
    4 veteran squads (2 demos/2 grenadiers)
    5xchimeras
    Hellhound
    Medusa
    leman russ demolisher

Fluff wise, its looking pretty good and I can see it being fairly competitive at 1500. However, even buying from discounted online UK stores, this army will be quite expensive coming in at about $750 CDN (Including special weapon/sergeant bitz)

Therefore, the decision is still hard: two non-IG armies OR one incedibly bad ass DKoK The new Grey Knights are looking incredibly tempting at $290 CDN for 1500 pts!

Has anyone had an issue like this? How did you choose between the armies under consideration?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Separating the Death Korps of Krieg Gorgon Transport Troops

I have a DKoK army but this is what I did to augment my regular troops. I used some of them as regular inf and others became crew for weapon teams. You can buy actual guns for very little from ebay since the weapon team sprues have so many spares. It's excellent.

A Cadian force is still cheaper, but I don't think mine worked out any more expensive than one of the metal "collector" armies.

The way I looked at it, I could get a large army that I don't feel totally happy with, or a smaller force and get what I consider to be the coolest figs in the whole 40k range.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look stunning, but I wonder if the back side of the models is equally detailed. Could you post a picture of some of those models back side?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Yeah here's a weapon team. Sadly they took the trenchwork guns off their site. You got 3 heavy weapons and a gunner for about £12. Not bad. Add in the cost of the bases off ebay and the trooper and you came in around £4.50 per team which isn't bad at all compared to what Forgeworld want. You can see the trenchworks gunner is missing the backpack but the Gorgon trooper is pretty much identical to the regular inf. The only difference is he's all one blob of resin rather than a multipart kit like the actual squad packs:

http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...s/dkokgun1.jpg
    http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...s/dkokgun2.jpg
    http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...s/dkokgun3.jpg

http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...dkoktroop1.jpg
    http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...dkoktroop2.jpg
    http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...dkoktroop3.jpg
    http://www.derelictstudios.net/users...dkoktroop4.jpg

The camera went a bit crazy with the colour balance trying to snap the lone trooper. You can see he has a good level of detail though, it's not really obvious he was fused to his fellow troopers by the arms. Frankly I was supprised by the level of detail. In areas it's not as good as the troops f.e. the rifle may lack some distinction etc, but on balance I think they're much better than the detail of, say, Cadians. They are correctly proportioned too(!) I mostly managed to hide the really goofy bits with greenstuff or by covering wonky gun butts etc. with mud and other gunk from the battlefield. The duckboarding is coffee stirers stolen from Starbucks and the sandbags are just blobs of child's modelling clay bought cheap from a toy store. It's slightly rough so drybrushes a treat.

I mix the "at ease" guys in with the rest of my squads and they blend in nicely. If I'm feeling cinematic I will put the action poses at the front out of cover and the at ease troops behind obstacles, like they are waiting their turn to engage.

I've still not added the wet mud effect to their bases, and I have a couple of vehicles left but I'll post some decent lightboxed shots of the whole force when the army is done.
    Last edited by Korona; March 16th, 2011 at 01:16.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

I'd rather have 1 stunning army than 2 meh ones. But then again, I collect metal Guard. Though I didn't have to pony up the cash to do it all at once.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

340 (x6)

That number of infantry would have cost me £200 including shipping, whereas doing this bumped the cost down to £57. If you approach it smart and get a bit creative you can certainly do a Death Korps army without breaking the bank. I defiantly agree that it's good to get the figures you like the most. You'll be pouring a lot of time and emotion into your army and having something you consider second best will leave a bad taste down the road. Taking twice as long collecting is probably no bad thing either since you can paint the figures to the level they deserve. There's enough detail on these FW minis that they reward care and time so take it slow, be creative and end up with a force you really love.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Korona : Thanks for the pictures man, it is clear those models look ace! You really convinced me to do the same as you did as I was struggling to buy DKoK at the rates of ForgeWorld. I'm not afraid to use Greenstuff to fix parts of the model. I will defenatly buy the Gorgon Infantry squads.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

I'm going to be a wet blanket here and point out just how fragile resin models are. I own a few and you can't keep them in a car in summer, you can't drop them, you can't store them in clamshell foam cases. They warp. I'm relatively fed up with resin at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    I'd rather have 1 stunning army than 2 meh ones. But then again, I collect metal Guard. Though I didn't have to pony up the cash to do it all at once.
    Still cheaper! Granted, I buy crappy paint jobs and spend a week soaking them in Simple Green for a day, stripping a layer, repeat...
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast