Grey Knights tactics Vol. 2 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knights tactics Vol. 2

First of all, I want to tip my hat to Goblin, the original author of "Daemonhunters tactics Vol. 1." That being said, with the new codex coming I believe it is time to get an updated view on this subject. How do you think the Grey Knights will play against the other armies in 40k? I will compile everyone's input here. Thanks in advance for your participation .

Necrons (MightisRight)
    Anything with a decent initiative and the ability to move is good. High initiative power weapon attacks will destroy them in melee, and units like paladins and dreadknights will be highly resistant to most of what the Necrons can muster. Interceptors armed with halberds will destroy in melee. All in all, this is an easy match up.

Blood Angels
    Two words: plasma spam. Take Coteaz to make warrior acolytes troops, then take 3 or 4 squads of 3 in chimeras, all armed with plasma. The blood angels player will cry if he is running a descent of angels list. The rest of the list can be tailored to whatever else they may be running. Dreadnoughts with twin linked autocannons and psybolt ammo can reliably kill any transport present, while paladins with halberds can deal with any squad that manages to get through... if they do at all. Psycannons are another good wargear choice. Basically the strategy here would be to prevent them from getting into melee at all costs. If a few manage to get through the barrage then have units with halberds that will strike first and clean up the stragglers.

Last edited by autarch shalan; March 16th, 2011 at 18:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know about other armies, but they will seriously kill necrons in a million different ways - interceptor squads, dreadknights, paladins - crons can't do a thing about any of them reliably. That many high init power weapons will cause them to short circuit from fear.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MightisRight View Post
    I don't know about other armies, but they will seriously kill necrons in a million different ways - interceptor squads, dreadknights, paladins - crons can't do a thing about any of them reliably. That many high init power weapons will cause them to short circuit from fear.
    Mmmm! Fear....
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair though, the majority of armies out right now make necron players curl up in the fetal position and hide in a corner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even though i don't play grey knights (though i may be on the 'new army' market if i decide to rid myself of my ultramarines...) i do think they may struggle against mech armies. lets face it they are pretty common everywhere now, how would you 'veterans' combat this?

after having a look through the white dwarf and the 'sample armies' i saw through them straight away- melta and plasma spam is a big problem. Though that is the way things are...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I think that GKs will have it easier than this. Plasma spam can be tricky, but the GKs can do this just as well as any other army w/ coteaz and his acolytes. as for mech armies, I think you will be seeing a lot of dreadnoughts with dual autocannons and psybolt. this combo should take care of those pesky light-mid tanks easily. as for stuff like landraiders, you can always kit out a stormraven with meltas and lascannons; this would be a tank killing monster.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Necrons are unusual at the moment. They destroy light infantry and heavy mech with ease, but heavy infantry and light tank spam kills them. Still, lords with warscythes remain the best ICs in the game for their points and versatility.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be helpful to mention here. I'm proposing this be used against marines (and equivalents).

Inquisitor w/servo skulls (or whatever they're called) + Warband made up of Jokaeros, 5 Psykers, and a Chimera.

Basically this gets you a strength 8, ap 1, large template shot with 36" range (you could make the argument that the Jakaero Weapons Table could make the shot 48" range, too). Throw that whole squad in a Chimera (which both the Psykers and the Jokaeros can shoot out of) and you've got a very nice anti marine/mech unit. I believe that whole unit comes to just under 200 points.

I doubt that the range increase will last long, as it is a psychic power (and GW will probably FAQ it just to make sure), but it's just so freaking awesome that I had to mention it.

The servo-skulls are there to make the template way more accurate. From how I'm reading the rules, I believe that will net you a maximum scatter of 3" (D6 - BS of Psykers = 3" max ???)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by winter117a; March 22nd, 2011 at 15:50.
    "How in the world does Vulkan gives allies tricked-out twin-linked weapons?!? Does he just happen to have a box of modified ones lying around in case friends show up?" - Marshal_Wilhelm "You mean like... Rent-a-flamer?" - Earthen

+ Reply to Thread