Using Plasma Guns - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Using Plasma Guns

So after a long hiatus, I have been building an all-infantry army. I know this will take time and money, so I am re-painting and requiping (is that a word?) all of my old Guard models. After a closer look, I was able to find fou Plasma guns still attached to my bitz sprues, and I was wondering how to make them fit. The obvious choice is as special weapons in infantry squads, but I was wondering about maybe in a command squad or something. If I remember correctly, they are good assault weapons, but I was wondering how YOU use your plasma guns, or how YOU think they would best fit in an all-infantry footslogger army.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Although they are not popular on this particular forum anymore, I use plasma guns all the time on guardsmen. They can reach out and plink a MEQ dead out to 24", or if you really need to clear an objective of a squad of marines, then you can run in close and rapid fire them down and pray you don't roll any ones, but if you do then meh, they're just guardsmen.

I usually put Melta guns in my CCS just because you really don't want any self inflicted casualties in the squad containing your highest leadership model, and I usually put flamers in my PCS and mount them in a chimera because a squad of four flamers trucking around the field laying flaming waste to everything has worked extremely well for me.

So where do those plasma guns go? For me, I usually equip half my Veteran Squads with melta guns and the other half with plasma guns, so if I'm running my usual 2K list with four veteran squads, then I go two and two. Also, the other place that I will usually always toss a plasma gun is in a regular infantry squad that doesn't have a heavy weapon. If I'm using regular grunts to run around holding objectives, then I would rather give them a 24" range weapon than a weapon that will most likely never be used before they are charged and wiped out by CC units.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

I acutally like a CCS with plasma guns. 3 plasmas and a medic to be precise. Medics really do help, and I have hardly ever lost a model in it to overheating.

Sometimes in an infantry army a group of vets with 3 plasma guns, a lascannon and camo cloaks can be really useful. They can camp on objectives and have a good go at pretty much anything that comes their way.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Well, I was thinking of making a 50-man blob squad with the plasmas in it...what heavy weapon would go good with it? And any suggested tactics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMS View Post
    I acutally like a CCS with plasma guns. 3 plasmas and a medic to be precise. Medics really do help, and I have hardly ever lost a model in it to overheating.

Sometimes in an infantry army a group of vets with 3 plasma guns, a lascannon and camo cloaks can be really useful. They can camp on objectives and have a good go at pretty much anything that comes their way.
    This is a great tactic too, I love it and have used it myself, but lately I've been using lots of meltas because so many of my opponents are in vehicle heavy armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Currans View Post
    Well, I was thinking of making a 50-man blob squad with the plasmas in it...what heavy weapon would go good with it? And any suggested tactics?
    But what about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Currans View Post
    But what about that?
    I think this is not such a good idea. Fifty man IG squad gets assaulted by a single Sentinel or anything in the game with an armor value and a Weapon Skill... now they're stuck there for the rest of the game until the enemy eventually whittles them to death and runs them down or the game ends.

Also it's a bad idea because now you have less viable targets. Your squads can only shoot at one unit at a time, so what if that was five separate squads... then you have the option of shooting all five a different things if you want rather than having to focus your fire.

Like I said before, Plasma Guns work great in Veteran Squads or in Special Weapons squads that you want to throw at a hardened unit and like another poster said, they work great in CCS with a medic to help them live through those "gets hot" rolls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Thanks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by H0urg1ass View Post
    Although they are not popular on this particular forum anymore, I use plasma guns all the time on guardsmen.
    I don't know about that. Many of the lists here will have at least one squad with plasmas. I've always advocated a ratio of 3:1 for meltas/plasmas. They're a great tool for defending the backfield, or for a reserved Chimera. It's just that they aren't a great offensive weapon anymore. Mostly because they're overcosted compared to meltas.

In a foot list I'd put them in Veteran Squads (or a CCS) with lascannons as a 2nd line behind the cheap Infantry Squads with Autocannons and Grenade Launchers.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by H0urg1ass View Post
    Fifty man IG squad gets assaulted by a single Sentinel or anything in the game with an armor value and a Weapon Skill...
    Meltabombs are 5 points and each Sergeant can take them. I do this specifically to have a threat against Dreads.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast