The dreaded F word - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

The dreaded F word

I know that when a new dex comes out, people are generally keen to figure out which mech-spam list is gonna be most effective. But I think there are some good reasons to consider transport-free lists viable. They're obviously cheaper to build, some would consider them more fun to collect and play, and it means a whole lot of enemy anti-armor is made redundant. So let's discuss the pros and cons of "footslogging" in the new codex:

- storm bolters are half of what make GK so versatile. Put them in a tank and you lose something you're paying good points for.

- there is some serious foot-speed available to the GK through putting personal teleporters on Dreadknights and interceptors. Because of their shunt ability, they can easily be faster than a transport anyway!

- there are decent units to sit on a home objective that can manage without transports. Inquisitor shooty units, psyfleman dreads, vindicares, 4-psycannon squads of various varieties etc.

- your troops all have deep strike, which allows you to avoid walking the entire length of the battlefield when facing gunline armies. There are also ways of helping you deep-strike a bit safer.

- you can have paladins w. an apothecary that are virtually impervious to small arms fire. As they footslog the battlefield they can fire their psycannons in heavy mode too. These guys are in a bit of trouble if the enemy is spamming lascannons or something, but if they are then transports mightn't have been any better off anyway.

So what do you think? Are these the makings of a reasonably competetive list, or will mech continue to be the only competetive way to play 5th edition? Are there valuable footslogging opportunities that I've neglected? Love to know your thoughts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

So what's the F?

This is a foot list that I am thinking of running. I just don't have enough models yet.

Grandmaster - Psybolt Ammo - 180

10x Purifiers - 4x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, 1x Daemonhammer, 5x Halberds - 315

10x Strike Squad - 2x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo - 240

10x Interceptors - 2x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, 1x Daemonhammer - 310
    10x Interceptors - 2x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, 1x Daemonhammer - 310

Dread - 2x TL-Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo - 135

In my list above, the grandmaster would make the interceptors scoring in objectives-based games or give some units counter-attack in annihilation games. Dreadnoughts, of course, are AT platforms who will protect the knights against more assaulty units.

I believe the key to running successful foot GK list would be numbers. The more models you have to spam those psycannons and S5-stormbolters, the better. There are many other builds. Another one that I like:

Librarian - Shrouding - 155

Less mobility than my previous list but a lot more firepower. 1 unit will acting as a screening unit to give the rest of the army 3+ cover thanks to Shrouding from the Librarian.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I'm taking a different approach to my GK. Since my IG are (and probably always will be) my main army, I'm more than willing to run more unique lists.

As an example, I've put together a fun little 1500 point list involving Draigo, Paladins, and a squad of purifiers, backed up by some dreds. No transports at all. I think there are lots of tasty footslogging lists that GK can make work. It's sorta what makes Gk so much fun!

I'm running....

Draigo

4 Paladin Squads, consisting of 2 Terminators each, deep striking.

2x Venerable Riflemen Dreads
    ->Psybolts

Purifier Squad
    ->+5 Purifiers
    ->4x Psycannons
    ->2x Daemonhammers
    ->Nemisis Force Halberd
    (Combat squad, 1/2 with psycannons and 1 regular Purifier, other squad with 2x Hammers and Halberd)

Brotherhood Champion (Goes with purifier CC squad, am tempted to leave with psycannon squad as backup)

Fun looking lists. I'm banking on my terminators to drop in via deep strike and mess things up, CC purifiers move up to support, and psycannons provide covering fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Sorry, the "F word" was "footslogging" haha. I know that most people reckon any list without transports are junk, but there seem to be some good reasons to walk your GKs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I like the footsloging idea for the grey knights. Seing 10 PAGK cooped up in a rhino and not firing those lovely storm bolters seems a waste.

If you are going to footslog then ditch all vehicles so I prefer dreadknights to Psyflemen dreads. A librarian with shrouding and a few other powers also comes in handy.

My list wil be

HQ: Crowe 150

Troops: 10 Purifiers, 2 Psycannon, 2 Hammers 5 Halberds 280
    Troops: 10 GKSS, 2 Psycannon, 1 Hammer 230

Fast: 10 Interceptors, 1 Hammer, 270

Heavy: Dreadknight, Incinerator 160
    Heavy: Dreadknight, Psycannon 170
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Footslogging may be semi competitive, but I doubt it will do well in tournaments.

Here is the list I have been running, 2-0-0 so far, wiped both opponents to a man. This list was a blast to play. Driago and his 5 man paladin squad took the charge from a full bloodbride unit with 3 hydra gauntlets, agonizer, and Archon. They also had two pain tokens for FNP and furious charge. Took 5 wounds, no casualties and wiped them to a man. Wound allocation on paladins is amazing. In both games I lost all the dreadknights but Driago and half of the Paladins survived to wipe my opposition out. Their shunt really draws a ton of fire which drastically increases the survivability of the paladins.

Driago

5 x paladins with Psycannon MC Daemonhammer, Psycannon falshions, halberd, sword, falshions.
    5 x paladins with Psycannon Daemonhammer, Psycannon falshions, halberd, sword, falshions.
    5 x paladins with Psycannon Daemonhammer, Psycannon falshions, halberd, sword, falshions.

Dreadknight with Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator, Personal Teleporter
    Dreadknight with Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator, Personal Teleporter
    Dreadknight with Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    I like the footsloging idea for the grey knights. Seing 10 PAGK cooped up in a rhino and not firing those lovely storm bolters seems a waste.

If you are going to footslog then ditch all vehicles so I prefer dreadknights to Psyflemen dreads. A librarian with shrouding and a few other powers also comes in handy.

My list wil be

HQ: Crowe 150

Troops: 10 GKSS, 2 Psycannon, 1 Hammer 230

Fast: 10 Interceptors, 1 Hammer, 270

Heavy: Dreadknight, Psycannon 170
    I'm going to comment on this because it is missing something very, very important.....psycannons and psybolt ammo.

Foot grey knights have always and will continue to be a shooty, reactive army. I just don't see why they would take 10-man squads without S5 stormbolters. You MUST take them if you want to succeed as a foot army. They are the best upgrades for any foot list.

Get rid of a hammer in each of the purifier squad and give each 10-man unit psybolt ammo. Also give the interceptor squad 2x psycannons. Imagine a jump unit with psycannons and S5 stormbolters. Trust, it's better to shoot with them and move out of the enemy's threat range (unless the enemy sucks in assault).
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagman View Post
    Footslogging may be semi competitive, but I doubt it will do well in tournaments.
    Agreed. Their weakness will be against MSU-mech armies and any army with a decent amount of AP 1/2 weaponry. They will have a lot of problems against those type of armies.

+ Reply to Thread