Going to start, How many per group..? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Going to start, How many per group..?

Hello everyone, I'm going to start a Grey Knight army as my very first 40k army. I was originally intending on starting a Imperial Guard army with a friend but I thought the GK looked really cool, and when their new book was announced I desided to go for the grey Knights instead. I waited eagerly for them to release images of the new models and then I got even more excited and now that the release is near, And it seems like some people already got ahold of the book, I desided to ask the question

How many models should you have per group? Small 5 man groups? Big 10 man groups? I'm wondering for all of the Grey Knight models, The normal guys and terminators, paladins and all. I was planning to assemble them in groups, with set marks or something for every group so I wanted to know how big the groups should be

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Strike squads, interceptors and purifiers I prefer in 10 man units. Remember they can combat squad if they wish but bigger units benefit more from psy powers particularly the nice powers used by the librarian. Psybolts also become reasonable for a 10 man unit but don't bother on anything smaller (except paladins I seem to remember who only pay half cost for the upgrade).

Termies and paladins could go for 10 man units but it gets expensive and 5 strong is more normal in 1500 point lists and below.

To start your army buy the mininums first, an HQ and 2 troop choices.

HQ could be a GM with rad grenades for 190 or a librarian with Quickening, Shrouding, Might of Titan and Warprift for 170.

For the minimum troop choices I would go for 2 GKSS units each 10 strong with 2 psycannon and a hammer on the justicar. Psybolts for the squad are good and you can add rhinos or razorbacks to taste.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks for the reply, I'm probably going to order the book and 2 boxes of Grey Knights on monday and then slowly build up my army from there, A tad bit low on money currently so I cant buy anything more this time. I havent been able to look through the 40k rule book yet either but that will come later when we are to start playing again. But now I atleast know good size for the units so I can plan the painting and assembling a bit better, Thanks alot for the help! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Agree with Mad Cat, but the other thing worth mentioning is that if you're taking GKSS or interceptors for a combat role and therefore not using psybolts or wanting 2 psycannons you're better off taking two separate squads of five than a ten man unit so you get two justicars with the extra attack and higher leadership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Since I dont have the book yet I just have to ask, Exactly what is psybolts and psycannons? A friend who used to play back in 3'rd edition said they where only usefull against psychers, But reading here it sounds like they give extra strength to the shots or something..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by superwill View Post
    Agree with Mad Cat, but the other thing worth mentioning is that if you're taking GKSS or interceptors for a combat role and therefore not using psybolts or wanting 2 psycannons you're better off taking two separate squads of five than a ten man unit so you get two justicars with the extra attack and higher leadership.
    All this is true but in kill point missions you cannot combine them into a 10 man unit to reduce your vulnerability. Also 10 man squads can take more advantage of unit-improving psy powers such as quickening or might of titan.

Merellin: Yes psybolts improve the strength of storm bolterts and other projectile weapons by one. Psycannon are the special weapon available to gey knights with assault 2 or heavy 4 shooting. S7 but the range is similar to a stormbolter.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; April 1st, 2011 at 11:14.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Alright, Thanks for the information. Can hardly wait for the Grey Knight codex and the first models, It will be very intresting to try 40k. I play Fantasy but have wanted to try 40k for ages aswell so it will be fun when my group starts to see how it is to play ^_^

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Merellin View Post
    Since I dont have the book yet I just have to ask, Exactly what is psybolts and psycannons? A friend who used to play back in 3'rd edition said they where only usefull against psychers, But reading here it sounds like they give extra strength to the shots or something..
    Psybolts increase the strength of alot of weapons like Storm bolters and such. Psycannons are pretty much slightly stronger Assault Cannons.

EDIT: Sorry didnt see Mad Cats post.
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I was planning to wait untill monday but I just couldent wait anylonger, I just placed the order for the Grey Knight codex and tw boxes of Grey Knights so hopefully they will arrive sometime next week, Very excited to read through the codex (Even if I dont know any of the 40k rules yet) and see how the models look in reality ^_^

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Merellin View Post
    I was planning to wait untill monday but I just couldent wait anylonger, I just placed the order for the Grey Knight codex and tw boxes of Grey Knights so hopefully they will arrive sometime next week, Very excited to read through the codex (Even if I dont know any of the 40k rules yet) and see how the models look in reality ^_^
    I am eagerly awaiting my order of Gks too...4 boxes of beautiful terminators! If you ever need help with the rules for 40k, im sure anyone on the forums is more than happy to help and run you through stuff, just have to ask
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast