Homebrew Space Marine Chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Homebrew Space Marine Chapter

So, I'm currently playing Tyranids and Eldar, granted I barely have time to play with them and definitely not enough time to paint all my minis, I can't get past the urge to use some power armour.

So instead of making a specific known chapter and being stuck with one codex I was thinking of making my own chapter fluff and look-wise. This way I'll almost always have an up to date and reasonable codex to use and people won't get confused because my sanguinary guard all of the sudden count as wolf scouts or something.

Anyway, the one chapter, or rather, legion that I find the most visually appealing is the Thousand Sons. I'd like to use their fluff, names (possibly making some sort of renegade thousand sons-sub legionish chapter thing) and colour scheme. I will however refrain from adding chaos-icons or anything like that on the models, and I will sculpt my own helmets with a more modern look.

So my question is, how well do you think people would take this? Locally I doubt there is any problem, but I'm thinking of tournaments or other gaming events where I won't be playing with my usual gang of people. Do you think they would accept Thousand Sons-looking marines playing with the rules of Space Wolves (or any other marine codex for that matter).

If not I could probably make up my own chapter altogether without taking much from any of the existing ones to make them less confusing. That at least is fully acceptable, I just would really like to make them related to the Thousand Sons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

The main thing about the Thousand Sons is the Egyptian theme - there's certainly no reason you couldn't copy that. You could always build yourself a Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons force - there's nothing at all stopping you from that, and Pre-Heresy armies are rather popular in some areas. My own homebrew chapter actually looks a lot like the pre-heresy Death Guard did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hm, pre-heresy ksons was something I hadn't though about. Sadly that loses one of the main reasons I like their look, the blue/gold colour scheme. But I will most likely borrow some features like the masks from them to make my guys a bit more unique. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

How do you think people would react to an army like that?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

They're your plastic models, dude. Do what you want with them. If it's the blue/gold that you love, you could just come up with a custom chapter using those colours.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

What if one of the Captains after his arrival on the Planet of the Sorcerers’ refused to serve Magnus?

If you want loyalist Thousand Sons you will have to work back to the Heresy and figure out why they are not serving Magnus or Tzeentch, why they are still loyal to the Emperor and how have they been able to escape the wrath of their Brother Astartes on both sides and avoid the Inquisition to boot.

If I was going to build this army the brief I would use to describe them would be as follows:

They are a warband that splinters from the main Legion, accusing Magnus of betraying the Emperor and bringing his wrath to Prospero. Opening a rift to escape to realspace they set up shop in an ancient pre-crusade Space Hulk ‘the Sin’s of the Father’ and begin the slow task of recruiting and strengthening their numbers. Now they are hunted and hated by loyalist and traitor alike, as they battle on in the Emperors name seeking absolution for their Legion’s betrayal.

Remember so long as you are playing a rules legal force, the fluff is all up to you, its your hobby so have fun with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Indeed my fluff would have been very close to that. I do like the concept of Rubric Marines however, so they would have to leave the Legion at a later stage then the time you suggest. I don't think I would have them accuse Magnus of betraying the Emperor, but rather that Magnus was turned against the Emperor by the forces of chaos. That way their leader can still be an image of pre-heresy Magnus, honoring the fallen by gouging out one of their eyes and taking his name to redeem them from the sins of their brethren.

The reason I'm asking about the counts-as concept is that some people think it's worse than others. I'm making my own renegade chapter to avoid some confusion in this regard, because I don't want to paint up some guys in e.g. the Ultramarine-look and then play them as whatever codex I feel like. "No, they aren't an Ultramarine Assault Squad, they are a Blood Angels Death Company." Which would be over the line in my eyes, if only slightly, but then again I'm fairly liberal with these things compared to others.

+ Reply to Thread