Lets pretend Coteaz doesn't exist (and other questions) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Lets pretend Coteaz doesn't exist (and other questions)

....would you bother taking Henchmen? Everyone seems excited about Coteaz allowing Henchmen spam but what happens if you (like me) are running a regular Inquisitor and will only have access to one henchmen unit.

And if you did take the (one) Henchmen unit, how would you take it? Spam unit? Mix and match unit for flavour? I'm interested to know how people are building their Henchmen unit.

Something else I'm curious about is Karamazov. He is 200 points of gorgous model but beyond a pie plate orbital attack and a multi-melta shot I'm not sure a see his use. He's an easy target to see and kill (no invulnerable save). I'll admit his Rad-Grenades will allow him to instant kill T3 models, then he only has 3A. And (unlike Coteaz) he doesn't do anything for your force org. I'm REALLY wanting a cool tactical use for him because the model is soooo nice, but he's currently an HQ choice that I can't see the point in.

As a parting shot (sorry this is bit of a scatter shot post but I have a lot of thoughts whizzing around re the GK) I wanted to talk about the Nemesis Daemon Hammer. The first thing I thought was "kewl I can have Thunder Hammer Terminators", the I quickly realised this would be suicide for the GK Termies.

Why? Because they don't have Storm Shields. I can see one or two Hammers max in a unit to help kill monsterous creatures but the whole unit upgraded to strike at I1 would mean death for them (5th Ed has such easy access to power weapons). Personally I think Hammer Spam is a bad idea (mmmh Spam).

Ciao for now

Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember that hammers do not make you strike at I1. That drawback of the Thunder Hammer is nulified for the Daemon Hammer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karnaj View Post
    Just remember that hammers do not make you strike at I1. That drawback of the Thunder Hammer is nulified for the Daemon Hammer.
    No they still work just like thunder hammers for GKs, it's only the Dreadknight that goes at it's own initiative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Personally? Yes, I'd still take the squad of henchmen. They're a ridiculously versatile squad. 1 Jokaero (maybe 2, but probably not), 5 to 6 Warriors, and 3 Acolytes, either with melta-guns, OR some other weapon combination and power armour (yes, I'll put them in power armour. Most likely give them plasma pistols). Shoo them all in the back of a Chimera. You've got a solid fire support squad that can take a beating and still keep moving forward. I've also considered taking a squad consisting of equal parts Warriors and Death Cult Assassins. Tough, durable squad that can run up and hug you.

On that note, if I took Karamazov, this is exactly how I'd set up his squad, with Lots of Warriors and Death Cults, and run them up to the enemy, and get them into assault. More than likely they'll hold with the number of power weapon attacks they'll dish out, AND the amount they'll probably save (Remember, 3++ invul on the guardians!). Drop a pie plate of death directly on your squad creatively placed to hit more of the enemy than you. Make your 3++ Storm shield saves. Competitive? No, but sure as hell sounds like fun, doesn't it?

As for Daemon Hammers on Terminators, I think you've got that one in the bag. Spam? No, but I plan on having at least one in every unit (that can take it), two in my purifier unit. I want every unit I have able to threaten every other unit in the game. If that means Daemon Hammers (for my Grey Knights), or Melta-Guns/Plasma Rifles(for my Henchmen squads), then I'll make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaz has a good stat line, rad nades, OS and good armour though he needs a space monkey and a good roll for an inv. save. He has great table presence.

But he is costly and can't go in a transport. I really really wanted to keep him in my list and played my first two games with him and won both, though to be honest, he didn't have a huge impact on those games. But with some logical arguments, I was swayed from using him, as much as I liked having him on the table, appearance wise. He honestly got more stares than the dreadknight. But without him, a DK weapon change and couple of small tweaks I was able to add a Stormraven and a rhino at 2000 points!

Though I won the 2 games with him, I absolutely humiliated a nid player yesterday without him! He had a pretty crappy list and played it poorly, but you guys seriously wouldn't believe me if I gave a battle report on the game. He sucked and had no anti-tank but he had 2 carnifexes and a trigon and I didn't take a single wound before he quit after 4... not one wound! Told you that you wouldn't believe me. I don't believe it and I was there.

There's an apoc tourny in a couple months and I'll probably use him there as there's lots of IG players here and his strikes are useful against tank lines and insta-kills company commanders in cc. But at lower points, I'm glad I was talked out of using him.
    Rules for playing massive tabletop games with star wars miniatures!
    http://starwarstabletopbattles.webs.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I would use a squad of them, but I'm a firm believer in tailoring units for a specific task. I think a squad of Death Cult Assassins would be a great little CC unit for not too many points. Also a squad of Warrior Acolytes with hot shot lasguns and three plasma guns would add a nice chunk of firepower to the table for not too many points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    Personally? Yes, I'd still take the squad of henchmen. They're a ridiculously versatile squad. 1 Jokaero (maybe 2, but probably not), 5 to 6 Warriors, and 3 Acolytes, either with melta-guns, OR some other weapon combination and power armour (yes, I'll put them in power armour. Most likely give them plasma pistols). Shoo them all in the back of a Chimera. You've got a solid fire support squad that can take a beating and still keep moving forward. I've also considered taking a squad consisting of equal parts Warriors and Death Cult Assassins. Tough, durable squad that can run up and hug you.

On that note, if I took Karamazov, this is exactly how I'd set up his squad, with Lots of Warriors and Death Cults, and run them up to the enemy, and get them into assault. More than likely they'll hold with the number of power weapon attacks they'll dish out, AND the amount they'll probably save (Remember, 3++ invul on the guardians!). Drop a pie plate of death directly on your squad creatively placed to hit more of the enemy than you. Make your 3++ Storm shield saves. Competitive? No, but sure as hell sounds like fun, doesn't it?.
    Hmm some interesting ideas. No Psykers in your shooty build? I like the Warrior with Storm Shield and Crusade combo, that would be such a laugh. Power weapon squad of doom (dishing out more attacks then a Grey Knight Squad in the assault) is very tempting.

Karamazov would be an interesting (if expensive) distraction unit from my GK units. Use Crusaders to soak up Lascannon etc hits that threaten him and try to avoid taking mass fire (i.e from units such as Ork Lootas) that will result in hits being allocated to him. Hopefully the size of the model will draw fire from units that should be trying to kill GK units.

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    As for Daemon Hammers on Terminators, I think you've got that one in the bag. Spam? No, but I plan on having at least one in every unit (that can take it), two in my purifier unit. I want every unit I have able to threaten every other unit in the game. If that means Daemon Hammers (for my Grey Knights), or Melta-Guns/Plasma Rifles(for my Henchmen squads), then I'll make it work.
    I agree re your opinion of the Hammer being a good all round threat. I think I may get some small magnets so that I can swap them in and out as I see fit.
    Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im all up for a 10 man monkey devastator squad.

provided the "does not take up a force organization slot" is removed by them becoming troops choices. im loving the idea of an inquisitorial warband. maybe even an all assassin army for shitsngiggles. i mean.. a vinicare would soften lysander up nicley before some ini-6 power weapons arrived .

side note...vindicare shield breaker. would it remove the SS save and the Termi armour invuln save in 1 shot?

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kloma View Post
    side note...vindicare shield breaker. would it remove the SS save and the Termi armour invuln save in 1 shot?
    Yes I believe so. The rule says the model loses ANY invulnerable saves granted by items or wargear immediately. And seeing as a storm shield and terminator armour are both pieces of wargear, then they would both be lost.

~SR~
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kloma View Post
    provided the "does not take up a force organization slot" is removed by them becoming troops choices.
    And thats what Coteaz is for...
    nothing like inter species cooperation!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast