(Possibly) Silly question re psychic powers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

(Possibly) Silly question re psychic powers

I'm new to all this psychic power shennanigans and was wondering:

1 - Do you choose which powers your guy takes into battle at the start of the game (like wargear) or do you choose at the time he is about to use them (a la orders in IG)?

2 - Also, are they selected from the list that is next to the Librarian entry? Librarians obviously do, but what about the others?

3 - If a guy has Mastery Level 1, then also hammerhand in his entry (eg Brotherhood Champion), is it Hammerhand that is his power, or is that on top of the list he can select from? I understand he will only be able to use one power each turn, but I'm trying to understand if his coices are limited to hammerhand (making it an easy choice I guess) or from the whole list.

Hope these aren't stupid questions (told you I was new to this). Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have an answer for you but another question to ask, this 1 is about combat squads and psychic powers. If you spiit a unit of 10 in half can the both use psychis powers or just the gruop with the justicar in it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the first question, only the libbie chooses his powers the other squads specialize in the power listed for them. If they have 2 powers at mastery 1 they choose which to use.

To the next question, a little tricky, but I would sayas they are still just one unit divided in 2 only one would get it. The one with the justicar, but since you can still cast without the justicar that one is tricky.
    Rules for playing massive tabletop games with star wars miniatures!
    http://starwarstabletopbattles.webs.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Strombole View Post
    To the first question, only the libbie chooses his powers the other squads specialize in the power listed for them. If they have 2 powers at mastery 1 they choose which to use.
    Thanks for that bud. Just one extra clarification - when do you make the choice? Before the game starts, or when you want to cast something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

An answer for you

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara View Post
    1 - Do you choose which powers your guy takes into battle at the start of the game (like wargear) or do you choose at the time he is about to use them (a la orders in IG)?
    As Strombole points out, The Librarian selects his powers (beyond hammerhand which he gets by default) before the start of the game, paying the points costs listed on p.85 for each extra power chosen.

2 - Also, are they selected from the list that is next to the Librarian entry? Librarians obviously do, but what about the others?
    Everyone else just gets the powers listed under their entry. Inquisitors get an either/or choice between Hammerhand and Psychic Communion

3 - If a guy has Mastery Level 1, then also hammerhand in his entry (eg Brotherhood Champion), is it Hammerhand that is his power, or is that on top of the list he can select from? I understand he will only be able to use one power each turn, but I'm trying to understand if his coices are limited to hammerhand (making it an easy choice I guess) or from the whole list.
    A Character or unit with Mastery 1 can use one of their powers (including the activation of Nemesis Force Weapon instagib special abilities) per player turn. Other than the Librarian, they can only use the powers listed in the individual unit's codex entry.

In the case of the Brotherhood Champion this means in a given turn he can choose to;

a) Cast Hammerhand at the start of the Assault Phase
    or
    b) Invoke is NFW instagib if he scores an unsaved wound on a multi-wound model during the Assault Phase
    or
    c) wait until he dies during the Assault Phase and then use Heroic Sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by DJElam
    I don't have an answer for you but another question to ask, this 1 is about combat squads and psychic powers. If you spiit a unit of 10 in half can the both use psychis powers or just the gruop with the justicar in it?
    Unfortunately Strombole has given you the wrong answer here...

As per the combat squads rule, both halves of the 10 man unit are then treated like separate units from the point at which they are split. Therefore both may use the squad's psychic power(s).

The half-squad with the Justicar/Knight of the Flame uses his leadership for the psychic test, and the Justicar/KotF takes any Perils hits.

The other half-squad uses the squad's base leadership for the psychic test, and randomises amongst themselves for who gets whacked by any Perils suffered.

Hope this helps
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have a couple of (possibly) silly questions about psychic powers.

1- can the bonuses for hammerhand stack? e.g. is I have a squad and a character that can both cast hammerhand can they get +2 strength?
    2- can a librarian use the same psychic power more than once a turn? e.g. if they want to use might of titan on 2 units

I have a feeling that the answer will be no for both of them but I just wanted to check as I couldn't find anything

Thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that bud. Just one extra clarification - when do you make the choice? Before the game starts, or when you want to cast something?
    For people with 2 powers listed but only mastery 1 they use whichever of the 2 they want, whenever they want, just not 2 in the same turn, or as was said, not force weapon activation in the same turn as using a power.
    Same goes for Libbie... He can buy all the powers if he wants but can only use 2 per turn or 3 if you upgrade him.

In regards to the combat squads... your explanation makes sense to me. Go with his answer... Combat squad rules always bend my brain, but I don't mind being wrong if I'm wrong. I thought it was too trickyto give a definite answer anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi46 View Post
    1- can the bonuses for hammerhand stack? e.g. is I have a squad and a character that can both cast hammerhand can they get +2 strength?
    Bonuses and penalties tend not to stack unless it explicitly states that they do in the description (an example being the Culexis Assassin's weapon which gains Assault +1 for each Psyker within range). As the power description for Hammerhand doesn't say that multiple castings are cumulative (in fact, it encompasses both the squad and IC in one casting), then I'd go with a No here.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi46 View Post
    2- can a librarian use the same psychic power more than once a turn? e.g. if they want to use might of titan on 2 units
    This one is, I think, a Yes. There's nothing in the Psyker Mastery Levels rules (c:GK p.21) to state that they can't use the same power twice (multi-cast psykers in other codexs sometimes have a restriction worded in to their rules), so the only restriction would be from the BRB entry on Psychic Shooting (p.50 ), which states you can only use as many Psychic Shooting attacks as the number of times you can fire normally per turn (1 for most infantry, 2 for monstrous creatures/walkers etc.), this would apply to Smite, Vortex of Doom and Warp Rift. Not all powers (like Hammerhand or Sanctuary for example) will be useful if cast twice, but as far as I can see, there's nothing to prevent you casting two or three instances of Dark Excommunication, Might of Titan, Quicksilver, The Summoning, targeting a different unit each time.

@ Strombole: I didn't mean to come across negatively... the rest of your advice has been right on the money. Apologies if any offence was caused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offence taken at all. When corrected respectfully, the university grad in me always wins the the day. When insulted, everyone will know it as the ex-boxer/current mma coach delivers a hate-filled reply while raging impotently at my screen, lol. I'm a Jeckyl and Hyde, or as my baby brother ( who is a current mma fighter win 10 fights with a temper himself) puts it, a highly functioning psychopath, lol.
    But ya, you seem like a top-shelf guy to me and no offence was taken whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Glad to hear it

+ Reply to Thread