How Come No One Uses Sgt. Bastonne? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

How Come No One Uses Sgt. Bastonne?

He seems like a cool character, but GW hasn't made a model for him, and I don't think I have ever seen anyone convert and use him, and I was wondering why. Is it just a general consensus that Sgt. Bastonne is doo-doo?

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

It's less that he's crap, and more that by buying him (or Harker) you're most of the way to another Veteran Squad.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Yeah he's overpriced garbage. I was shocked when I saw how many points he costs. Think of how good his special rules are compared to someone genuinely useful like Chenkov or Al Rahem. The special sergeants are total rubbish. Bastone is in the wrong slot anyway, he's clearly meant to be a stormtrooper Sgt. At least then he'd be vaguely useful because he can issue an order to an isolated deepstriking or outflanking stormtrooper squad.

To be useful in his current form he should give his squad carapace armour and hotshot laspistols. THEN he's be alright.
    Last edited by Korona; April 5th, 2011 at 23:02.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Yeah, it is like they wrote the fluff and had to change his rules to change him from stormtrooper to veteran.

But he is still crazy expensive no matter what.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

And now I know...and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joe!!
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

As appauling as he is (above say it all, I don't like dropping the power fist)
    To make:
    I used A SM scout carapace armor chest, the hat and the sword from F/W cadian upgrade pack
    I've used him in apocalypse, but.. yeah. shame.

Now Harker, He's better - adds a HB, gives the squad cover bonuses, etc and is cheaper.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I tried very, very hard to like Bastonne. The problem is not that he's ineffective or even overpriced. It's that he doesn't address the main issue with Stormtroopers generally, that they're intended to operate far away from friendly units with inadequate leadership and close combat ability. Whenever I fielded him, Bastonne would do his order-thing once and then get charged and torn up in CC every time. His high leadership doesn't matter when he loses combat by 4 or so and won't have another chance to shoot even if he does stick around.

If Bastonne was a CC buff instead of a dakka buff then he'd be awesome. But he isn't.

My ideal Bastonne:
    Same equipment, stats & price
    Fearless
    Defensive grenades
    That's it. It isn't hard to make a good Stormtrooper character; all he needs to provide is reliability and a fighting chance in combat.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

340 (x6)

And he goes in a vet squad and not a stormtrooper squad...
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I tried very, very hard to like Bastonne. The problem is not that he's ineffective or even overpriced. It's that he doesn't address the main issue with Stormtroopers generally, that they're intended to operate far away from friendly units with inadequate leadership and close combat ability. Whenever I fielded him, Bastonne would do his order-thing once and then get charged and torn up in CC every time. His high leadership doesn't matter when he loses combat by 4 or so and won't have another chance to shoot even if he does stick around.

If Bastonne was a CC buff instead of a dakka buff then he'd be awesome. But he isn't.

My ideal Bastonne:
    Same equipment, stats & price
    Fearless
    Defensive grenades
    That's it. It isn't hard to make a good Stormtrooper character; all he needs to provide is reliability and a fighting chance in combat.
    I'd prefer Stubborn instead of fearless, so then he won't get taken down by combat res. Counter attack would be nice as well, and would work really well with defensive grenades and the 2 close combat weapons that Stormtroopers have
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMS
    I'd prefer Stubborn instead of fearless...Counter attack would be nice as well, and would work really well with defensive grenades and the 2 close combat weapons that Stormtroopers have
    The concept I had in mind was a Bastonne-squad that could reliably take on isolated/rearguard units rather than a supersquad that cores an army from the inside out. It seems more thematically appropriate for Guard and can make real use of hellguns, thereby giving Bastonne-troopers a distinct role from the usual 5-man alpha-striker. Which is what special characters are for, right?

Besides, one should always err on the side of weakness when making homebrew rules for a unit. It increases the chance of getting an opponent's permission to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korona
    And he goes in a vet squad and not a stormtrooper squad...
    For the scoring status? I don't think he would live until the end of the game, as a general rule, and Bastonne+Chimera would cost mondo points. What you could try in a mech list, though, and with Bastonne as-is, is to make him a rearguard for your home objective. Ordered hellguns could be quite effective on deepstrikers like Trygons or BA Assault Squads and you could keep the objective-holder unit in reserve for safekeeping. (Maybe a Penal Legion in reserve? They're good at clean-up duties and, since they don't need a ride, you could still start all of your Chimeras on the table.)
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread