General tactics question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General tactics question

Hey guys,

I'm a CSM player who is NOT happy with the current codex. I like the fluff, but I think the codex resembles the strength of a donkey's ass.

So I'm considering switching to loyalist marines. I was looking through the codex, and I love it, especially the librarian. But I was wondering how you guys use a librarian, especially with the power gate of infinity.

what are the general space marines battle tactics?
    I play to win, as I've not won from this particular opponent in the last 2 years I think (funny come to thing of it, it all started when 4th CSM was released!), but it has to be fun to play.

bring it on guys, here's your chance to convert a CSM into a loyalist

May the khorne(or the emperor) watch over you!

The best thing about chaos, is your opponent's face when he looks at your disgusting Plague marines

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Tactical flexibility and use of maneuver. That's how loyalists win. No dirty tricks or dark and evil magic involved. :p

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by watchwood View Post
    Tactical flexibility and use of maneuver. That's how loyalists win. No dirty tricks or dark and evil magic involved. :p
    Amen, brother Watchwood. No, really. C: SM is not written for maximum super-hyper-effective-shooting (IG or Tau does that better) or blood-curdling-bone-crashing-deathstar-assaulting (Blood Angels or Grey Knights do that better), but we are reasonably good in both and can use this tactical flexibility to our advantage. Moreover, we have one seriously badass thing Chaos guys don't have. ATSKNF. It was and still is one of the best single army-specific rules ever. We may withdraw, but we always rout. Even if its juts one guy left. And, unlike many other armies, it makes us almost immune to Sweeping Advance, which is a great survivability benefit in this edition.
    Last edited by Polaria; April 7th, 2011 at 17:26.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    but we always rout.
    Baa Haa Haa Haa Haaaa!

No, seriously, What's said above is good stuff (I would Include nids in there too, however, back to topic)

chaos Marines vs Marines in combat - how do they compare? (bog standard marines)
    Well, Chaos marines were the first to have bolter, ccw and a pistol, so will have 1 more attack.
    However, They do pay the champ upgrade to have a P fist (good for swatting marines / vehicles)

ATSKNF is good, but if you're in the position to be using it there is a problem.

Nah, Chaos marines are better in melee. Before you give them marks, like the +1 Init (cheap and so good) or +1 attack (use Bezerkers. They rule)

CSM can really spam out those special weapons, and have some awsome tricks up their sleeves / great units (Obliterators / Plague Marines)

If you want to shoot marines take guard. If you want to beat marines in combat Grey Knights have a good shot. Orcs are a good laugh and do that too.

As a CSM / Marine / IG player I say: Don't abandon the army. Maybe put up your list and pm me to look at it, or his tactics (Like is he taking triple dreads / vindicators to your posessed? Is he all shooty and you play with no terrain? We need more details)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Hey buddy, once you go chaos, you can't come back.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    Hey buddy, once you go chaos, you can't come back.
    Only the Emperor can be the judge of that!

no seriously, I like Chaos way too much (fluffwise) to NOT go back to CSM when they get a decent codex.

Right now, however, it's not funny anymore. He usually plays Nids of Grey Knights. Also has Sisters, but they have turned lesbo right now cause of boredom.

As for my list, it's an allround list. Last time we tried to make him loose, he was helping me beat him.

and quess who won? Well, not me anyway...

I was thinking of mixing the codeci, or if he doesn't like it, go renegade using the loyalist codex.

Quote Originally Posted by stayscrunchyinmilk View Post
    Maybe put up your list and pm me to look at it,
    can't, your box is full.

his tactics in general are not shockingly overpowered. With nids he playes a combination of zilla and swarm. Basically he just plays whatever he feels like however he feels like doing it. Sure the dice gods tend to favor him, but statisticly I should have won once by now, all I had was some lucky shots(draw)
    Last edited by Renosaurus; April 8th, 2011 at 00:52.
    The best thing about chaos, is your opponent's face when he looks at your disgusting Plague marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you shall begin your return to the loyalist fold by handcrafting a custom chapter and sending it on a crusade to the Eye of Terror? xD

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'O RenoSaurus View Post
    As for my list, it's an allround list.
    Your starting marine list probably won't look all that different then. Two 10 man tac squads with melta/missiles/pfist/rhino, a couple of vindicators, the librarian, and a squad of sternguard to go with him will run you up 1000 points and you'll be wishing for your old donkey ass daemon princes and troops choices.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

Really? I love the CSM codex :o it's so flexible and killy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then tell me, how do you play it? you can pm me if you want, but when I'm matched up against grey knights (even the old codex!) or nids, I loose. He kills me with BA, even with Sisters!(though the ratio with sisters is 1:4 I think so it's better)

@ A.T. that list indeed looks like what I field for CSM, how would you use them in battle?

for CSM I use: 1 DP: MoN wings warptime, 10 CSM: 2 melta rhino+ ac: pw, 8 Berzerkers: rhino+ ac: pw, 3 bikers: 1 melta, vindicator and predator: auto/heavy bolter
    Last edited by Renosaurus; April 8th, 2011 at 17:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast