The Death Cult - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Death Cult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Death Cult

Hey all,

What's everyone's thoughts on a Death Cult Assassin army?

They're 4 power weapon attacks each (on the charge) and they strike at the same initiative as a GK with a halberd. You can get 12 of them for around 170 points and with Cortez could take multiple squads of them... That is dangerously efficient.

They do not have ranged weaponry, but as they are a Warband you could always supplement that with other selections from the Warband entry. Maybe a couple flamers, some hotshot lasguns, etc.

I'm thinking of taking around 20 in my army. Points wise, that's 400 points (including Cortez as an HQ choice). I seriously doubt that the squads won't be able to earn their points back. Those two squads are basically just as effective as two ten-man, halberd armed purifier squads (and for half the points).

Any thoughts? Different combinations? What amount of DCA's would scare you as an opposing player? I want to know what people think about this.

- Winter

"How in the world does Vulkan gives allies tricked-out twin-linked weapons?!? Does he just happen to have a box of modified ones lying around in case friends show up?" - Marshal_Wilhelm "You mean like... Rent-a-flamer?" - Earthen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

And ... how will you keep the DCAs alive, exactly? They do indeed hit pretty hard, but are not even as tough as tissue paper.

If you're building Inquisitorial warbands, you pretty much always have to include a healthy number of crusaders for their storm shields. This is especially true for a combat warband including assassins.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Personally, I'd run a combat build as 3x DCA, 2x Crusader, Banisher w/ Eviserator, 3x Melta Warriors (gotta have something to crack that transport) in a Chimera. It's more expensive, but far more well rounded, and has a chimera to provide protection/supplemental firepower/delivery method. An alternative is 5x DCA, 2x Crusader, Banisher w/ Eviserator. Leave them in reserve as a counter-attack unit to hit something sitting on your objective. Personally, I consider a Banisher w/ Eviscerator an essential supplement to any close-combat squad, simply because it's far to easy for them to get locked up by say, a weaponless Armored Sentinel otherwise.

That said, for my (non-GK) army no amount of DCAs are scary. But then, I play IG so the only thing that scares me is ranged firepower sufficient to disable my own. Orks and Tyranids will be more afraid of Arco-flagellants, Tau are equal to IG in not really caring (the Arcos are maybe a bit scarier, since Kroot have no saves, but kroot are like IG, simply expected to die slowing you down). Even the armies "most" vulnerable to them (Jump Angels, Loganwing, Deathwing) have the ranged firepower to simply decimate them at range - which means you need a delivery method (Chimera) or a bigger threat target - a Dreadknight running up alongside them will certainly attract lots of attention.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

i was thinking about how to make grey knights really competitive and it is with these guys that they will do it
    put them in a chimera or rhino or even a land rader in biiger game and have ur paladin squad just standing around out in the open
    when people see a chimera and a paladin squad what are they going to shoot at?
    if they shoot there small arms at the paladins then they will just bounce off and if they shoot there heavy weapons (lascannons etc) at the chimera then thats less shots at the paladins
    shoot the paladins with lascannons and ok some will die but probably not all of them and your chimera will live, the assasins will do enough damage to make up for any paladin lost
    we ran 11 assassins + banisher vs 10 banshies with the Sargent thing; the assassins slapped the banshies round the face each time
    for 15 points/model these things are awsome and these will be the GK troops choice in all competitve lists, leaving the elite section free

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

When I see a Chimera, my Hydras will shoot it, leaving everything else free to shred the paladins (or simply ignore their 4 S7 shots against a single target). Paladins are far too expensive for a competitive build, and DCA, while good against infantry, are utterly and completely useless against vehicles. The Banisher helps, but you still need more shooting.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

+ Reply to Thread