Some questions from a noob... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some questions from a noob...

I am a relative noob to Sisters of Battle.

I picked up a SoB army about 5 years back on Ebay and tried to construct a viable army a few times and was never able. I got busy with other projects and I've let it sit on a shelf since.

Anyhow, I decided to dust them off and see what I've got (alot of it was frustration over the poor composition of the model collecting) and put together an army, and would like to fire off a few questions that are likely dumb.

Saint Celestine- Does her on-death hit to Faith points just make her too much of a liability to use? 201 doesn't seem too out of line for everything you get, and it seems like you could hide her amongst a big unit to prevent her being killed. I guess then she's not using her mobility and you're not really getting the best value out of her. Still, anyone know of a practical use for this character?

Inquisitor Lord or Inquisitor- I have seriously considered fielding a Temple Assassin or Death Cult Assassins in certain situations, but only if I can figure out something to do with the Inquisitor. In DH I used to field a firebase Inquisitor, but I don't think that would work now.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I will have more questions forthcoming...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BlkSabbath74 View Post
    Saint Celestine- Does her on-death hit to Faith points just make her too much of a liability to use?
    It can be, especially with the way seraphim burn faith (and she needs to be with seraphim or she'll be dead to the first autocannon or plasmagun within range).

She competes with the jump canoness - who is only 116 points for a pack, cloak, blessed weapon, and frags, plus whatever else a player adds(such as a book).
    Her hit and run, along with her WS/I of 5 (which looks incredibly poor compared to 'modern' characters but works well for her) would make Celestine a decent choice, but frankly if she just died and gave back faith she'd be far more useful than with her costly resurrection power.
    Plus she can't hold a candle to my old homebrew 'saint' (a jump canoness with the old DH codex daemonic possession - S10 blessed weapon and rising from the dead when slain as a suitably modeled winged MC 'o' death)

it seems like you could hide her amongst a big unit to prevent her being killed.
    She really needs to run with seraphim, which means a unit size of around 7-8 max or they'll fail their faith test and get pasted.

Inquisitor Lord or Inquisitor- I have seriously considered fielding a Temple Assassin or Death Cult Assassins in certain situations, but only if I can figure out something to do with the Inquisitor.
    The main problem with inquisition units in the WH codex, as opposed to the DH codex, is that they reduce the amount of starting faith for the force.
    I've not really figured out a good way to run one with sisters myself, probably mech with some plasmagun warriors and a psyhood. Most of the inquisition only stuff isn't worth your time.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Generally speaking, Yes. The faith loss on celestine is considered a big liability because if she dies at the wrong time, well... You're screwed. Her points cost is really nice, but there's to much of a risk for having faith for the rest of the game. She's a good character, especially with the sera hit and run, and if you do field her, you want her to die early and obviously roll low.

As for inquisitors, unless you're going for a themed force, they're not worth it, especially not WH inquisitors. DH inquisitors had the benefit of Psycannons, termie armor, and Mystics, meanwhile the WH Inq has Power armor. The one thing the WH Inq has going for it are Churgeons and Crusaders, but they are horribly over costed and not worth it. The prosepct of assassins are nice, but I generally only used them when I played DH as I felt them not to be worth the loss of faith. DCAs only have a 5+ save and are T3, sure they have power weaons, but they're not worth the ungoldy amount of points they cost. When it comes to temple assassins, everyone flocks to the Vindicare at first, but in the end, he has a 50% chance to hit and a 50% chance to wound, which is meh. The two best Assassins are the Eversor because he's cheap (for an assassin) and can put a lot of hurt into the enemy if he can get to them, and the Callidus. The Cali is my favorit because she can cause all sorts of havoc and really lets you play mind games with your opponent. For example, the first thing you do is you get to go to your opponents side of the board and move one of his units (or tell him where to put them), then you can keep reminding him that at some point you will bring the assassin into play anywhere on the board. Over exaggerating the reserves roll is also fun, and when she comes in, you get an AP1 flamer (usually a 4+ to wound), but more importantly you deny all saves when you charge. Keep im mind though, that she's not going to wound everything she touches, and she's pretty fragile. I used her in DH, but in WH, I think you loose to much to include Inquisitors/Assassins.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celestine is fun to play, but too expensive for what she does. At 201 points and with a human stat line, she should have Eternal warrior. Without this, the first 6str hit that you suffer will remove her from the board and there are plenty of those in today's meta game.

Inquisitors and assassins are for fluffy games. The calidus as already stated is probably your best bet, but the cost of the inquisitor on top of hers usually makes her not worth it and there are no decent ways to run an inquisitor in a SoB army. They get too expensive too quickly for what they bring. If you could buy them the faithful rule it would be something else, but as it stands, leave them on the side lines.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Celestine many times and I don't see her as a liability. However, she dies frequently because no Eternal Warrior.

IMO, that is the only thing keeping her from being a truly great character... that and a meltabomb would be nice!

Inquisitor Lords have their place in the Stormtrooper/Chimera spam list. Most of us are Sisters players though and we don't get into that sort of thing. Dealth Cults Assassins are terrible. Though fun at times, Temple Assassins aren't worth having to take the Inquisitor.
    5th Sisters of Battle: 10-5-12 (W-L-T)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

I have done fairly well in the past with an IL with 3 gun servos (1 PC, 2 H, and a couple of sages. this allows essentially another less armored retributor squad (minus a fourth gun). I have since moved onto using 3 exorcists and no stationary squads. Everything of mine is mobile which i feel is essential in 5th edition, especially against the new lists like blood angels, and dark eldar that have nasty fast armor.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

+ Reply to Thread