Terminators Transport Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminators Transport Question

I'm planning on doing a terminator list (always wanted to do one but didn't like dark angels.) I wanted to do paladins but the points just don't seem to be working out for me. (2250 normal level)

My question is, with standard GK Termies what's the best way to deliver them? Teleport, Storm Raven, or Land Raider? I'm just having a hard time pulling together a good/efficient vision of where to take this.

I apreciate any help

In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminator Transport Question

I'm planning on doing a terminator list (always wanted to do one but didn't like dark angels.) I wanted to do paladins but the points just don't seem to be working out for me. (2250 normal level)

My question is, with standard GK Termies what's the best way to deliver them? Teleport, Storm Raven, or Land Raider? I'm just having a hard time pulling together a good/efficient vision of where to take this.

I appreciate any help
    In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

I have been footslogging Paladins with PT dreadknight support with success.

For your list idea, I'd probably run them in LR/LRCs and SRs.

4x5 Termies with Psycannon. 2LR/LRCs, 2 SRs, Gives you just enough points for an HQ and a couple of extra Termies, or just two HQs. I'd recommend going with at least one librarian or even a TDA Inquisitor with Psycannon.

The biggest problem facing this list is offering only 4 armor values to the opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An army list I have been thinking about is as follows

Mordrak plus 5 x Gst/knights - Teleport in
    2 x Landraiders STC
    1 x Landraider Csder
    1 x Stormraven
    4 x 5 Terminators

Comes in at 2170 points, so this leaves you room for upgrades. I was planning on running this at 2500 with other stuff but this was my original starting point. Full of terminators, tough transports, and might fair well.

As for best way to deliver them it depends on the play style you are going for and the composition of your force. Teleport is fine if you are careful, landraiders are best, storms are good if you protect them, and footslogging works well if you have the numbers and distract your opponent with other options.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Deep Strike - Fine for "friendly" games, but too unpredictable in a competitive one. It might be different for GKs, though, but I haven't tried it yet.

Land Raider - The old, trusty standby. You just can't go wrong with this.

Blood Raven - Wasn't a fan at its release, and not now. It's an expensive choice, plus those it'll carry, and your just putting a lot of eggs in one basket. For those players who use them, at least take two. They just draw too much fire, which is both a good and bad thing.
    Last edited by SheBeast76; April 19th, 2011 at 03:43. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Seems you have two of the same exact posts floating around. I commentd on the other last night, but here's my opinion again ...

Deep Strike - Fine for "friendly" games, but too unpredictable in a competitive one. It might be different for GKs, though, but I haven't tried it yet.

Blood Raven - Wasn't a fan at its release, and not now. It's an expensive choice, plus those it'll carry, and your just putting a lot of eggs in one basket. For those players who use them, at least take two. They just draw too much fire, which is both a good and bad thing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LeapingLizard76 View Post
    Done in a limited fashion, just a unit or two for support, fine. I'm still trying to figure out how to build a workable all-reserves GK list. Haven't found one yet. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it is considerably more challenging to pull off than other armies (e.g., Tyranids).
    Quote Originally Posted by LeapingLizard

Everything you say about the Stormraven also applies to the land raider. Both are expensive. Both encourage putting all one's expensive eggs into a single expensive basket. Both are best when taken in redundancy.

AV 14 is decent against most ranged firepower (though any army with ranged S10 or lances doesn't really care so much, e.g., Tau, Tyranids, Eldar, Dark Eldar ... quite a few, that is!), but it is actually less survivable against melta weaponry than the Stormraven. Stormravens are proof against melta double dice, and thus their odds of surviving melta hits are better than land raiders. And since both vehicles are meant to deliver assault units up close to the enemy, and close range is where melta weaponry is deadliest, and since most armies in the game can and do spam melta weaponry in significant amounts ...

I'd say the benefits/drawbacks of the land raider vs stormraven debate even out. It's a wash. You should use the one that best fits the overall tactical approach of your list.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Double posts suck. Cleanup in aisle Daemonhunters!

Anywho, FWIW, I also responded in the other topic.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread