Stormraven, what to trasnport? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stormraven, what to trasnport?

Ok so I have 2 Stormravens laying around and I'm not really sure how to incorporate them into my Blood Angels army. I feel that if I put a Furioso Dreadnought and Termies into 2 seperate Stormravens that a lot of points is going into those Stormravens and there is usually a high chance of it being shot down and me losing all of those units.

So I was thinking: What exactly should go inside a Stormraven? Is it best as just a heavy support platform and nothing else? It seems like a waste not to carry something inside of it since its an assault transport. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth the points to be merely a support vessel. Using them to deep strike with heavy hitting close combat troops inside may be risky, with all manner of things that could go wrong but the pay off of having 4 units behind enemy lines is quite a pay off. I suppose it would depend on why you play, do you play purely to win or do you play more for the enjoyment? I myself would rather lose a game where I've done something rediculously stupid/risky than win a game where I've been careful and calculating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you are getting at. I play for fun. If I want to play competitively I already know how to build the army..its actually not that difficult, but a stormraven is different and I don't want it to be a very situational one trick pony. I wanted to see what options it has as to what it can carry that would be most effective towards winning the game. I'm playing for fun, but with the intent of doing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that case i think that they are extremely adaptable, and you can kit them out according to the armies you are taking on. The only benefits to be gained with transporting troops is to get them close to the enemy quickly and to get them to objectives, i cant see any other reason for using a transport. So the transport option would work well when needed. In other instances they can be loaded out to take on a variety of units. Massed troops, the heavy bolter,assault cannon option would work well. Tanks etc, multi melta and lasscannon option should give you some decent fire power. and that can be easily adapted to take on heavily armoured troops by swapping in the plasma cannon option for the lascannon option. I think they are an adaptable unit so use them in the way that is most effective in the armies you are playing. This is ofcourse just my opinion. I always say that its best to use units in the way with which you are most comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing worth trying is a death company with chaplin and a death company dread because when they get on the table behind enamy lines together they will take out anything and you can still have your stormraven there as fire support just incase the numbers get to much. Well in my experance it has not failed me yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ MattStratt83: Yeah they are very adaptable which I like, but at the same time because they are so adaptable I was wondering exactly what would be the most effective way to put them to good use since an adaptable unit sometimes cannot excel as well as other things can that play the same role.

@ steven: I thought about that too, but adding in DC and a Chaplain/Lemartes is just as expensive as throwing in Terminators with TH/SS on them and if you add another dread on it its holding a lot of points for your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok well it is just a sergestion. But i am always up for idears so let us know what you decided on and how it turns out?
    It would be intresting to here about.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by steven1984
    One thing worth trying is a death company with chaplin and a death company dread because when they get on the table behind enamy lines together they will take out anything and you can still have your stormraven there as fire support just incase the numbers get to much. Well in my experance it has not failed me yet.
    This is close to something I want to test. You don't even need a huge DC squad. 5 or 6 would be enough. Yes, it's still close to 500 points but you move up, shoot with multi-melta/lascannon and break into a transport, assault any infantry with the DC and any other vehicles with the dread.

I'm even going to paint my stormraven white to match my DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steven once I find some time to play 40k I'll definitely post my results. So far I've had a Furioso and a squad of Assault Termies inside (yes at the same time) in a friendly game and it worked well, but the lack of speed the termies with TH/SS have was quite obvious once they obliterated their target hence why I've decided to put a Furioso in one SR and Assault Termies in the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i am not a BA player but i am a GK one... i think sticking something nasty in power armour in them should do nicley, in my eyes its too predictable that you will put termies in there- (can yours take teleport homers?) so when your power armour guys jump out deepstrike the termies in then your opponent has to worry about a lot of units appearing at the same time not to mention the serious firepower that a stormraven can kick out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast