stormraven weapons layout - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stormraven weapons layout

iam gunna get a SR gunship and iam thinking bout its payload. iam def gunna give it MM and HB but Iam not sure bout the turret weapon. i was thinking either LC or PC. i think i will go with the LC coz of the lack of long-range AT that GKs have. what have other people given thier stormravens?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Typhoon Missile Launcher - frag missiles can be fired defensively, or you can get two krak missiles out of it. Lovely jubbly!

HB is a bit weak imo
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Agreed. The SR is an assault vehicle so is quite likely to be up close and personal, so I've gone for TLAC, Typhoon Missile Launcher and Hurricane Bolters. This allows me to fire pretty much everything each turn if I only move up to Cruising Speed, and the range is on average 24", with the TML being able to fire further and at a separate target if I need/wish to (PoTMS). It's also not limited by the distance moved as to what type of missile it can use if fired by the PoTMS, so I can still get two krak missiles out of it.

Lascannons et al for long range heavy support is better off on Dreadnoughts.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; April 30th, 2011 at 10:33.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

I generally Go for a combo of MM and LC, In a grey knights army I find the extra anti tank sorely needed.
    "Reached under the bed and pulled out a Converse and a beer, I appear to of developed the miraculous power to turn shoes into beer!.... or beer into shoes." - Fallen Autarch after St. Patricks day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Agreed. The SR is an assault vehicle so is quite likely to be up close and personal, so I've gone for TLAC, Typhoon Missile Launcher and Hurricane Bolters. This allows me to fire pretty much everything each turn if I only move up to Cruising Speed, and the range is on average 24", with the TML being able to fire further and at a separate target if I need/wish to (PoTMS). It's also not limited by the distance moved as to what type of missile it can use if fired by the PoTMS, so I can still get two krak missiles out of it.

Lascannons et al for long range heavy support is better off on Dreadnoughts.

E.
    That's presumably without psybolt ammo as with it the HB are no longer defensive weapons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run mine with Ac in turret and multimelta. I also add psybolt ammo. I find this very points effecient. The AC is great at popping tanks. 4 twin linked str 7 rending shots is good enough to take out/hurt most things.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Psybolt ammo on a Stormraven would remove hurricane bolters from the Defensive Weapons category (they're Str 5, after all).

IMHO, there are two optimal loadouts for Stormravens in GK armies.

1. twin-linked multimelta, twin-linked lascannon turret, hurricane bolter sponsons

2. twin-linked multimelta, twin-linked assault cannon turret

As useful as the Typhoon missiles are, the raven already comes with four awesome anti-infantry missiles. And the TLMM is a superior tank-hunting weapon by far. Besides, don't we already have psyflemen for that long-range Str 8 goodness? The stormraven is one of the GK army's most likely units to be in the enemy's face. The TLMM is one of the few places we can get melta weapons, and it's reliable, and it's on a platform that can use it quickly and reliably. And it's a free upgrade! (Whereas the Typhoon missile launcher has to be paid for.) I can see no reason for ever taking anything other than the TLMM for the primary hull weapon.

So really the loadout question to me comes down to: what to pair with the TLMM? If points are sparse, I take the TL AssCan. It's a versatile weapon capable of popping light armor and tearing up infantry. This makes sure the Stormraven is capable of tackling any type of enemy unit: be it MC, armour, or infantry.

If you've got 30 pts to spare, I take the TLLC turret and hurricane bolter sponsons. Again, this ensures that the stormraven continues to be capable of shredding either armour, MC hides, or infantry. But the TLLC adds an extra anti-tank weapon, as well as an added dimension of longer range. You can TLMM targets up close, and use the machine spirit to target units virtually anywhere else on the table. Very useful!

I will admit that there is value to both the Typhoon Missile Launcher/turret TLLC loadout and the TLMM/TL AssCan/hurricane bolters loadouts as well. My "problem" with them isn't their effectiveness, it's just that both of them limit the overall utility of the vehicle as I wish to use it.

In the former case (TML/TLLC), you've turned the raven into a long-range gunship. Certainly works fine that way, but clearly suboptimal if you're also using it as an assault vehicle with assault units aboard. The TLMM is simply way more reliable ... especially if you're going to be up close to the enemy. And isn't that the primary purpose of the vehicle? Just using it as a pure gunship seems wasteful. You're paying points for the transport capacity and immunity from melta double dice!

In the latter case (TLMM/TL AssCan/hurricane bolters) you've definitely got the brutal assault vehicle down. That is a LOT of deadly close-range firepower! I just think it's overkill considering that you're probably toting along a brutal assault unit and possibly a dreadnought as well. It seems wasteful of the machine spirit, ultimately. I think it's more beneficial to the GK army -- which has very little long-range firepower outside of dreadnoughts, to not take advantage of the far-seeing and nearly 360-degree vision of a turret TLLC. Shots of opportunity will always present themselves to a heavily outnumbered army. And the stormraven is mounted high enough that virtually no target will get cover against the TLLC.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But that's my thinking....
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    That's presumably without psybolt ammo as with it the HB are no longer defensive weapons?
    Correct. That particular weapons load-out costs enough without the added points for psybolt ammo, and with everything twin-linked there should be sufficient hits to help with the wound numbers too.

Alternatively: take psybolt ammo, use only frag missiles from the Typhoon and you still get to fire one set of Hurricanes at Str5 with PoTMS.

Not saying that either is the most optimal layout, but they are choices available.

Quote Originally Posted by number6
    In the latter case (TLMM/TL AssCan/hurricane bolters) you've definitely got the brutal assault vehicle down. That is a LOT of deadly close-range firepower! I just think it's overkill considering that you're probably toting along a brutal assault unit and possibly a dreadnought as well.
    Agreed, but the SR's firepower could be used to decimate a nearby enemy unit which might pose a threat to the small but perfectly formed brutal assault unit (and the Dread, perhaps).

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; May 2nd, 2011 at 02:02.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested to see that no one is suggesting the Plasma Cannon upgrade.
    In the past I have had great success with the plasma cannons on dreadnoughts and can only assume that the same applies here. I understand that it is inferior at taking out vehicles compared to either the lascannon or assault cannon but are there any other reasons people are not taking them?
    I love plasma cannons and am having a hard time deciding if I should take them over assault cannons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi46 View Post
    I'm interested to see that no one is suggesting the Plasma Cannon upgrade.
    In the past I have had great success with the plasma cannons on dreadnoughts and can only assume that the same applies here. I understand that it is inferior at taking out vehicles compared to either the lascannon or assault cannon but are there any other reasons people are not taking them?
    I love plasma cannons and am having a hard time deciding if I should take them over assault cannons
    I just dislike the fact that it is a blast template and therefore can scatter (unless you roll lucky or have your skulls in just the right place - but chances of that are slim). I prefer Multi Melta, Hurricane Bolters and Assault Canon. They all have similar range and that is going to lay down a fair amount of fire down. I'll decide on psybolt ammo on a case by case basis, against hordes, I won't bother, against mech, I may well do.

Just look to field two or all the enemy weapons will be focussing on it. You may as well split their fire up a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast