Librarium Online Forums banner

Draigowing: how to pull it off...

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Lord Lucias 
#1 ·
I have heard a lot of surprising successes with the Draigowing tactic; Draigo, Palladins, and DKs. My question is how do you kit each squad to make them the most effective?

#2 · (Edited)
Many of them were probably from me, though one LO member has been messaging me about using my lists as a template is now being 5-0-2 with it. I'm currently 12-1-1.

My 2k looks like this

Driago

3 x 5 paladins(one squad of ten)
Psy DH
Psy F
F
S
H

PT GS HI DK
PT GS HI DK
PT GS DK

2K on the the head

It would take 86 BS4 melta shots to wipe this army with no cover.

At 2.5k
I add a Librarian with MC sword, sanctuary, shrouding, might
One more squad of paladins making my troops 2x10
and upgrading that GS to a HI on the last DK.

#4 ·
Sorry about that, I was in quite a hurry.

Driago

3 x 5 paladins(one squad of ten for grand strategy efficiency purposes and a reduction in kill points if need be)
Psycannon DaemonHammer
Psycannon Falshions
Falshions
Sword
Halberd

Personal Teleporter, Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator Dreadknight
Personal Teleporter, Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator Dreadknight
Personal Teleporter, Greatsword Dreadknight

2K on the the head

#10 ·
You are right on the spelling, but no matter what I do. my fingers don't like to obey me on this one.

Falchion... Falchion... Falshion... Doi!

#11 ·
I suppose the next question is how you play them.
Obviously each game is different and any competitive (or survivable) list has more than one way to skin the enemy, but one main one that its designed for.

I've noted that zagman (please tell me thats not you in that avatar :D) plays a foot slogging list (which much effect.)

I've been looking at a list something like this:
Drago
4x Paladins (banner, incinerator, halberd, D/Hammer, sword)
Land Raider (god-hammer, warp stabilization)
Libby (Teleport homer, shroud, quicksilver, summoning, sanctuary, warp rift)
4x Paladins (banner, incinerator, halberd, D/Hammer, sword)
Land Raider (god-hammer, warp stabilization)
DK with H/Incinerator
DK with H/Incinerator
(2k)

This was just slung together as an idea. But the play style would be the two LR's sitting back behind cover getting 3+ cover with the Libby and blowing up any enemy tanks and vehicles.
Once crippled they push in with the DK's deep striking in on the teleport homer if needed or playing on the field from the start also getting 3+ cover and deterring any melta units from getting close.
Also should Draigo and the libby get split up the summoning/homer can pull them back (I know some dont think the homer works this way, but we play that it does... as RAI)

#12 · (Edited)
I usually shunt flank the PT dread knights making sure to really threaten my enemy while Incinerating something choice. If its an objective as many as possible will be scoring. I have Driago and a unit(usually 5, in KP games I do not combat squad them) advance up the center into psycannon range. I will either have the other paladins advancing with Driago(under cover if possible) or sometimes deep strike especially in Dawn Of War. I find that the dreadknights pose enough of a threat that my opponents have to deal with them which means my paladins usually are fairly unharmed as they enter psycannon range.

That is an interesting list. I kind of like it and its associated playstyle. Biggest threat to it is meltadrops though. Good luck getting cover to LRs and DKs though...

And yes, that is a picture of me. I'm a competing natural bodybuilder.

#15 ·
Land Raiders aren't a Dedicated Transport option for any unit in the GK codex so you're only getting one if you bring a pair of DK's.

#16 ·
Also you wouldn't be able to take incinerators on the pallies since you have to have 5 to take any special weapons.

#17 ·
can we get a mod in here to photoshop some pants on zagman? Jk Zag.

Lucias: I gotta say, I think you might have some problems there. I know with my deathwing, the key components were
1. getting in your opponents face
2. distracting your opponent with shiny things.
3. keeping your model count as high as conceivably possible.

I think the LRs sort of help with 1, but really hurt 2 and 3. They give your opponent a really clear mission: destroy your LRs. I feel like Zagman's list works because it has a similar-yet-opposite effect. The same obvious triage occurs: destroy the NDKs, but the task requires considerably more time and firepower, and attention is drawn away from the paladins. Meanwhile the threat that the DKs generally confer is much more immediate, and their mobility makes it difficult for your opponent to simply back away.

Hard to say though! could be great! I've just never found LRs to work out too well. :(

#18 ·
I have been going back and fourth in my head about either running Draigowing or Crowe/Razorspam. I am going with Draigowing bc i love the look of the terminators over pagk models, and its a bit less expensive since i already have Draigo 10 termies and a DK. i am going to give this a go, just got a bonus from work and will be getting my models tomorrow.

~Syko

#20 ·
The thing that really bothers me about dragiowing is that you need to buy extra terminator kits. Each terminator kit comes with one heavy weapon option. Regular terminators can only carry one psycannon for every 5 models. Paladins can carry two psycannons per five models. The kit only comes with one. Is there a cheaper way to obtain the left arm and psycannon?

#23 ·
You could also convert the Psilencers. They'll look different but if we assume all of the GK weapons are individually crafted that would not be an impossibility.

#24 ·
Yeah sorry as for the list it was just thrown together, haven't done the massive crack down on points and whats best for those points... just an army style.
And missed the bit of 4 heavys...

I'll make a proper list soon and get back to you.. obviously this list style isn't complete balanced but no "elite" elite army is.
Landraiders are rather hard to crack unless with melta's meaning the few lascannons would be pinged off by the 3+ if it gets a penetrating.
Idea would be to kill the meltas before they get there and once they don't have transports you'd be in range for assault before they could shoot you. It would also hopefully split there army up.. take care of the offensive / tanks etc. and then push.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.