Pros vs. Cons of splitting into combat squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros vs. Cons of splitting into combat squads

So I have been writing lists a lot lately and I can't decide if running combat squads is a good idea. In the past I have only split Sternguard in drop pods up with 2 meltas and a fist in one squad and schmos in the other. They had a purpose; pop a transport and unload on its occupants. Another is to split a full bike squad up and plant an attack bike and 3 schmos on an objective and let the fist wielding sarge and his 2 mm totting buddies run around and pop armor.

My main problem with this is when the squads would take high volumes of fire. Even my T 5 3+ bikes would eventually crumble to a single squad rapid firing.

I have lately been running full squads to spread wounds better. The only problem I have now is that my opponent can concentrate on my fewer units I am running.

Im putting this out there so people can give me feedback on their experiences with running combat squads. Am I playing too aggressive, should I balance between combat squads and full squads.

"Surround yourself with the greatest warriors at your command, or cower in the deepest and darkest hole you can find. It matters not. I shall take your head for the Great Khan and for the Emperor!" Kor'sarro Khan White Scars 3rd Compnay

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I almost always combat squad (aside from Annihilation games obviously). Any shots that can wipe out a combat squad can put a serious dent into a full squad, and this way they are two seperate targets for things like blast weapons.

A single squad rapid firing shouldn't be able to take out a combat squad in one turn unless you are VERY unlucky - 20 shots, ~13 hit, ~6 wound, ~2 failed saves (with ~4 wounds and ~1 failed save for bikers)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I suppose you are correct with your mathammer, but the person I generally play against castles with Longfangs and drops plasma on my guys all day long and wipes up what remnants are left with a grey hunter squad. In KP games full squads are the way to go and in objective games combat squads are a better choice. I still like running full squads to spread out wounds.
    "Surround yourself with the greatest warriors at your command, or cower in the deepest and darkest hole you can find. It matters not. I shall take your head for the Great Khan and for the Emperor!" Kor'sarro Khan White Scars 3rd Compnay

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

If it's raining plasma then i don't think combat squads will make much difference ;-)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's pretty subjective. If you're talking Sternguard, then I think that the emphasis has to be on having the greatest chance of eliminating your target in one round of shooting, so I tend to keep my Sternguard together. Bikes can be quite a bit more survivable with moving flat out and whatnot, so I think that spreading them out and using multiple units to harass your opponent is a good strategy. Also, if you're playing KP games, then of course it is a bit of an advantage to not split. In general, I tend to keep melee units together and shooty units split. This works particularly well with regular old tac squads, as you can camp your heavy weapon on an objective and let your other marines go hunting or act as a screen.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

+ Reply to Thread