Can we make pure Inquisition armies anymore? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we make pure Inquisition armies anymore?

I always played Witchhunters specifically because I could make armies which did not require Grey Knights or Sisters at all. From what I have heard and seen that is now impossible. It appears as if our troop choice must be a Grey Knights unit. Am I correct or am I just missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by tempestswordsman View Post
    I always played Witchhunters specifically because I could make armies which did not require Grey Knights or Sisters at all. From what I have heard and seen that is now impossible. It appears as if our troop choice must be a Grey Knights unit. Am I correct or am I just missing something?
    With Coteaz you can take an entire Inquisitional Henchmen list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't seem to find where it says that in the codex. Could you point me to the page by any chance?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Page 86. That said, due to their low points costs it only scales to about ~1500 points before you've filled everything out reasonably. (Coteaz, Inq, 3 different Temple Assassins, 4x 12 man henchmen mobs 2x 11 man mobs, 6x chimeras). After that you start having to add GK stuff of some flavor.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradius View Post
    Page 86. That said, due to their low points costs it only scales to about ~1500 points before you've filled everything out reasonably. (Coteaz, Inq, 3 different Temple Assassins, 4x 12 man henchmen mobs 2x 11 man mobs, 6x chimeras). After that you start having to add GK stuff of some flavor.
    Not necessarily. Inquisitorial armies could still take things like Landraiders, Dreadnoughts, Stormravens, Ven Dreads and Techmarines (though the last two take slots away from the Assassins). Guess it just depends on how you feel about it being a Grey Knight piloting the vehicles.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You can absolutely make pure Inquisition armies. Here are examples I made as thought experiments at 1500 pts and 2000 pts.

+++++ 1500 pts +++++

HQ
    [100 pts] Coteaz

Troop
    [147 pts] 3 Warriors, meltas; 5 Warriors, storm bolters; 2 Jokaero
    [56 pts] Chimera, searchlight
    [50 pts] 5 Servitors, heavy bolters
    [207 pts] 3 Warriors, meltas; 2 Banishers, eviscerators; 3 Death Cult Assassins; 4 Crusaders

Heavy Support
    [275 pts] Land Raider Crusader, multi-melta, hunter-killer missile

Total: 1500 pts

+++++ 2000 pts +++++

HQ
    [100 pts] Coteaz
    [119 pts] OM Inquisitor, daemon hammer, terminator armour, hammerhand, 3 servo skulls

Troop
    [61 pts] Chimera, dozer blade, searchlight
    [207 pts] 3 Warriors, meltas; 2 Banishers, eviscerators; 3 Death Cult Assassins; 4 Crusaders

Heavy Support
    [266 pts] Land Raider Crusader, multi-melta, searchlight
    [266 pts] Land Raider Crusader, multi-melta, searchlight

Total: 1997 pts

+++++

You could squeeze MANY more points out of these lists if you wanted. The jokaero aren't strictly necessary. I like 'em for the possibility of additional long-range fire support, the possibility of a bunch of heavy flamers, and the fun improvements they can give to the unit. But they're not strictly necessary. You could drop several or even all of them out for points.

After all, the Elite and Fast Attack slots are totally unused. There's even spare Heavy slots, too. Because land raiders were available to Inquisitors in the old rules, I consider it obviously fluffy that they can get land raider crusaders these days. Harder to justify dreadnoughts, which would be the most obvious choice to take in either Elite or Heavy. I have a difficult time conceiving of any Marine chapters -- even the GKs -- just letting a couple of dreadnoughts off on temporary loan all by themselves. At minimum, a strike force would be assembled, it seems to me. A certain minimum portion of the Chapter would have to be there to "keep ownership", as it were. (Of course, that wasn't an issue in the old DH codex Marine induction rules; so it's just my own personal take on the "proper" fluff.)

Just my take on the fluff. I restricted myself quite a bit, all but writing off two whole sections of the Force Org and most of the Heavy slots, too. I think "pure Inquisition" doesn't necessarily have to be so limited. But I was also trying to make a point.
    Last edited by number6; May 9th, 2011 at 20:54.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    The jokaero aren't strictly necessary. I like 'em for the possibility of additional long-range fire support, the possibility of a bunch of heavy flamers, and the fun improvements they can give to the unit. But they're not strictly necessary. You could drop several or even all of them out for points.
    But the possibility of improving your melta gun to multi melta status is worth it, so I would keep them in. As an aside on that, what is the consensus on the effects of increasing the range of a multi melta weapon with regard to using 2D6 for armour penetration? I heard some argue that you still only use 1 D6 if they are more than 12" away, but the melta rule says "half distance". That would make the 2D6 range increase as well wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Indeed. I know there was someone floating around planning to run a 'Radical' list where the techmarine is a heretek priest and the dreadnaughts were daemon engine 'heavy sentinels'. I was just pointing out that for a Puritan list it gets a bit iffier since the Land Raiders are now more GK-y (and it's just as debatable as dreadnaughts whether they'd loan them out)
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

=I= can get whatever vehicles or equipment they like straight from the ForgeWorlds, and even pilots for dreads aren't hard to come by as I bet many inquisitors have at least one crippled but still living henchman and access to the hypno-conditioning needed.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara View Post
    But the possibility of improving your melta gun to multi melta status is worth it, so I would keep them in. As an aside on that, what is the consensus on the effects of increasing the range of a multi melta weapon with regard to using 2D6 for armour penetration? I heard some argue that you still only use 1 D6 if they are more than 12" away, but the melta rule says "half distance". That would make the 2D6 range increase as well wouldn't it?
    If it is indeed written that way, then it stands to reason that the 2D6 range would reflect that. Of course, I've known a lot of people to assume that Tau pulse rifles have a longer rapid fire range than other rapid fire weapons, simply because most rapid fire weapons have a 24" maximum range.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

+ Reply to Thread