Exorcists plus Grey Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Exorcists plus Grey Knights

First some fluff to warm things up (gloss over if you know it).

The Exorcists marines, after undergoing "daemonic possession therapy" (where their body was host to a minor daemon for 12 hours before being cast out by a Daemon Hunter), were then taught the ways of combating daemons.

Equipped with the weapons of an Exorcist they were sent to a daemon world on the northern edge of the eye of terror, achieving a kill ratio of 97:1 (most impressive especially against daemons). A squad of Grey Knights were held in reserve, just in case, but were not needed.

okay, with that in mind, how about the following.

Using the Grey Knights Codex make a force of Exorcists and Grey Knights.

The Exorcists would be modeled as standard marines armed with Grey Knight weapons, and would 'count as' Grey Knights. They would not have any weapons such as psycannons etc but would have storm bolters and Grey Knight ccw.

The army would not have any Grey Knight characters, or things like Paladins or Nemesis Dreadknights (to distance themselves from the Grey Knights).

The army would field a squad of Grey Knights (to follow the fluff).

Now, the question.

What do people think about the idea?

It's Grey Knights, but with a bit of a twist (model wise) and should not scare people on the table as most of the Grey Knight 'stuff' isn't in the army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I think the fluff needs some work.

First off, I wouldn't go for the "daemonic possession therapy". If someone was to get "possessed", standard Inquisition response would be extermination. Only radical inquisitors fluffwise will use daemonhosts and these inquisitors are as much hunted by the inquisition as the daemons themselves. Grey Knights try by all means necessary to resist the "taint" of chaos, because once corrupted, there is no going back. In other words, this "practice" is very unfluffy.

Secondly, nemesis force weapons only work if the wielders are psychic in nature. Otherwise, they are just regular power weapons. So in order to actually use the GK nemesis weapons, the exorcists must be a psychic army. In fluff, usually those who are psychic, especially if they are Astartes, will just join the ranks of the Grey Knights themselves. Now I'm not saying that the exorcists cannot be a psychic, I'm just saying that you may want to explain their psychic nature in their fluff.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I think the fluff needs some work.

First off, I wouldn't go for the "daemonic possession therapy". If someone was to get "possessed", standard Inquisition response would be extermination. Only radical inquisitors fluffwise will use daemonhosts and these inquisitors are as much hunted by the inquisition as the daemons themselves. Grey Knights try by all means necessary to resist the "taint" of chaos, because once corrupted, there is no going back. In other words, this "practice" is very unfluffy.

Secondly, nemesis force weapons only work if the wielders are psychic in nature. Otherwise, they are just regular power weapons. So in order to actually use the GK nemesis weapons, the exorcists must be a psychic army. In fluff, usually those who are psychic, especially if they are Astartes, will just join the ranks of the Grey Knights themselves. Now I'm not saying that the exorcists cannot be a psychic, I'm just saying that you may want to explain their psychic nature in their fluff.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Although it sickens me to see a tainted list .. I think it could work with a few tweaks.

The fluff of the Exorcist chapter is already there but maybe a few tweaks says why they have powerful forceweapons when not psykers.

"Whilst entering the lair the marines set off a trap that had been laid in waiting for them. Knowing the Exorcists would come as soon as the local arbites tipped them off, the zealous marines charged straight into the snare of the Lord of Change. The battle brothers were entrapped by ancient runes and assaulted by daemons hungering for a body.
    Fortunately the Excorcists had been through this before and were able to hold off daemons from completely taking over there bodies, they fought off the tainted souls for 99 hours, losing many battle brothers through the long and painful ordeal.
    Was it not for the timely arrival of an Ordo Malleus =][nquisitor= who was able to sever the connection to the warp and give the remaining Exorcists an upper hand in controlling the daemons inside them.
    Although where most Inquisitors would purge and cleanse the planet of all Taint (including the especially chaos touched marines) this Inquisitor (insert name here) saw another way, a way that could work, a way of using the power of the warp against itself. Through inscribing the marines swords with certain marks, runes and wardings he was able bind the daemons into their weapons, leaving them fully in control of their bodies.
    The new weapons were powerful and had a lust for blood, something that could only be stayed through battle. For this reason the company of Exorcists were lost to the Imperium of Man considered killed by the Inquisition but actually were bound to the Inquisitor as they waged their personal war against the warp."

This works well on many levels.
    Army wise you can included a fluffy Inquisitor with either force weapon or daemonweapon (or use Coteaz rules), give him a name etc and maybe an entourage of henchmen.
    Forceweapons would be daemonweapons that count as. Fluff wise they have to test their leadership to see if they can control their weapons if they want to unleash its full strength (forceweapon test.) if they get perils of the warp it means that they lost control and the daemon got hold of the marine, in which his battle brothers swiftly finish him as they all swore to do.

Since your not using psycannons etc. you'll need to have the Inquisition units anyway. So make it radical !

Sounds like a fun army.
    Last edited by Lord Lucias; May 15th, 2011 at 22:52.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

@jy2 - Do a little research, the intentional demonic infection is actually the GW fluff regarding how the Excorsists were founded. It's briefly mentioned in the Ultramarine codex, and detailed in some of the older codexes and in IA10.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I was not aware of that. I thought that this was a self-created marine chapter. Forgive my ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Thanks for the thoughts.

As most picked up (but perhaps I should have stated it a bit clearer) the fluff is the actual GW fluff for the Exorcists chapter.

I really like the extended fluff that 'Lord Lucias' has added. It does add some much needed meat to GW's bones.

As has already been inferred the force will be lead by an Inquisitor (HQ).

I'm convinced enough now to buy some models and make a start. The first thing will be a squad of Exorcist Marines. I will have a look on the army lists to get an idea of how many should be in a squad.

I will post up a picture when I have completed the first Exorcist.

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Good luck, keen to see your first model.

I take you are using marine models? Since the exorcists look like SM's and not Greyknights.
    I guess you could just purchase and mix grey knight arms and weapons with space marine bodies.

This will help when playing games as WYSIWYG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

Yes, that's exactly what I intend to do, mix Space Marines with Grey Knight arms/weapons. Otherwise the fluff is completely lost as they would all just be different coloured Grey Knights, which isn't the point.

Then, when the squad of Grey Knights is there as well the difference stands out between them. Regarding their weapons I cannot see how the Inquisition would enable the Exorcists to achieve a Daemon kill ratio of 97:1 unless they had some special Daemon killing weapons. Just power weapons wouldn't work as they would be no different from normal Marines (except they wouldn't fall to daemonic possession). As they were, supposedly, a Grey Knight successor, then it's safe to assume that some weapons etc were passed on (hand me downs, as it were).

+ Reply to Thread