Terminator options - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Terminator options

I'm building up a squad of 10 sword brethren terminators. I want them to have a cyclone missile launcher, 2 assault cannons, and 2 chainfists (for planetstrike and the occasional extra anti tank). I have never used shooting terminators, but I think they will add some much needed shooting power and anti tank to a Black Templars force.

Now the question here is about assembly. Is it a good idea to pile these upgrades onto the same terminator (ie a terminator with a cyclone, assault cannon, and chainfist) or is it better to spread them out? What are some load outs you give to your squads?

Also, how are normal vanilla sm terminators allowed to be outfitted? I want my terminators to be reverse compatible in the likely event that our terminators are changed to be more in line with current marine codexes. Do you guys pile upgrades onto single models?

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a simerler problem myself not so long ago. The best advice i can give you is that it is just trial and eara. Try out diffrent ways untill you find a way that soughts you. Or pick a way that you like and keep using diffrent tactics every game untill you have found a way that works for you.
    I hope that makes sence and sorry about the spelling.
    Let us know what you decided on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

If you want them to be compatible with the marine codex I'd suggest not putting an assault cannon on the same model as a cyclone. Purely because if you did that you'd be forced into taking a ten man squad to use that model as you're only allowed one heavy weapon per 5 terminators in the squad.

Remember that by giving different upgrade to different terminators you create more 'sets' to roll saves for seperately, so you can reduce casualties from failed saves.

Also on the subject of heavy weapons - You cannot give the squad two assault cannons and a cyclone launcher. It specifically states in the sword brethren unit entry that 'up to two' terminators may replace their storm bolter with an assault cannon or heavy flamer OR add a cyclone. So thats a maximum of 2 heavy weapons per squad. There's nothing to stop you from taking two squads with two heavy weapons in each though.

Also as a side note - the area manager for the south was working in our store covering for a sick staff member and went off topic into detail about a staff meeting they'd had recently where it had been cedided to drop black templars to only having the current codex as a free pdf and no longer support them. So, don't hold out on a new codex in the next few years!!!
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Hand View Post
    I'm building up a squad of 10 sword brethren terminators. I want them to have a cyclone missile launcher, 2 assault cannons, and 2 chainfists
    Split them into two squads of 5 - one squad with 2 assault cannons and one squad with 2 missile launchers (if you can manage the models) - you'll get better flexibility out of them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I tend to run them with 2x assault cannons if I'm deep striking them. If they're sitting in cover, providing support, I outfit them with 2x missile launchers. (both setups with tank hunter)

In terms of points, I've actually dropped them from my list to run more speeders. For the cost of a group of terminators with cyclone missile launchers and tank hunter, I can take an additional 3 land speeders (almost 4). I find the speeders always make back their points, the terminators rarely do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Hand View Post
    I'm building up a squad of 10 sword brethren terminators. I want them to have a cyclone missile launcher, 2 assault cannons, and 2 chainfists (for planetstrike and the occasional extra anti tank). I have never used shooting terminators, but I think they will add some much needed shooting power and anti tank to a Black Templars force.

Now the question here is about assembly. Is it a good idea to pile these upgrades onto the same terminator (ie a terminator with a cyclone, assault cannon, and chainfist) or is it better to spread them out? What are some load outs you give to your squads?

You want to spread them out as much as possible. So 1 termie with a CML, 1 termie with a AC, etc.

Also, how are normal vanilla sm terminators allowed to be outfitted? I want my terminators to be reverse compatible in the likely event that our terminators are changed to be more in line with current marine codexes. Do you guys pile upgrades onto single models?

Every 5th termie in the squad can choose a heavier weapon. So, for your termies, you're looking at a) either a CML or AC for each 5 man squad or b) two CMLs or two ACs or one of each for a 10 man squad.
    A chainfist can be thrown on anybody, but I place mine on termies without the CML or AC first ...

To abuse wound allocation, you want to spread around your weapon options as much as you can, before you start doubling them up on a model.

As for the Wolves, well, that's a whole other story ... ;D

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

FYI for those not aware...

Black Templar Terminators can take 2 heavy weapons in a group of 5, and can also take veteran skills, such as tank hunters.

9. LikeSheBeast76 liked this post.
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

I second that greggles.

Also as a side note - the area manager for the south was working in our store covering for a sick staff member and went off topic into detail about a staff meeting they'd had recently where it had been cedided to drop black templars to only having the current codex as a free pdf and no longer support them. So, don't hold out on a new codex in the next few years!!!
    Nah,the current rumour flying about is that the BT might be the next marine army to be redisgned.Also JvK said something about a biker minu with a lance or something.And JvK knows what he talks about.
    Last edited by pilot00; May 20th, 2011 at 13:55.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I cofess I dont know the rules half as well as the previous posters, but I think a terminator with a cyclone launcher, an assault cannon and a chain fist would look daft standing next to one with a storm bolter and power fist. Spread them out for aesthetic reasons.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by praxis View Post
    I cofess I dont know the rules half as well as the previous posters, but I think a terminator with a cyclone launcher, an assault cannon and a chain fist would look daft standing next to one with a storm bolter and power fist. Spread them out for aesthetic reasons.
    It would certainly look like rambo in terminator armor!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast