the BEST wargear for Devastator Squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: The best set of weapons for Devastator Squad is:

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 missile lunchers

38 55.07%
  • 4 multi-meltas

0 0%
  • 4 heavy bolters

4 5.80%
  • 4 plasma cannons

10 14.49%
  • 4 lascannons

2 2.90%
  • 2 plasma cannons, 2 lascannons

5 7.25%
  • other (please post)

10 14.49%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the BEST wargear for Devastator Squad

Which is the best set of weapons for Devastator Squad (for Ultramarines) for its point cost???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

a mix of Multi melta, 2 Plasma cannons and a heavy bolter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasma Cannons and Lascannons are just too expensive really. Missile Launchers are probably the best of the bunch as they're so versatile and also cheep.

Don't forget your Sarge is BS5 so you can get a more accurate Plasma Cannon or Lascannon shot if you so choose.

There's also a debate about how many extra men to have. I'm of the view of keeping it at 5 men and going to ground if you have to, or 10 men and combat squadding.

Goliath's top 3:
    4xMissile Launcher
    3xMissile+Lascannon
    3xMissile+Plasma Cannon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    Plasma Cannons and Lascannons are just too expensive really. Missile Launchers are probably the best of the bunch as they're so versatile and also cheep.

Don't forget your Sarge is BS5 so you can get a more accurate Plasma Cannon or Lascannon shot if you so choose.

There's also a debate about how many extra men to have. I'm of the view of keeping it at 5 men and going to ground if you have to, or 10 men and combat squadding.

Goliath's top 3:
    4xMissile Launcher
    3xMissile+Lascannon
    3xMissile+Plasma Cannon
    a pair of Plasma cannons will dissuade any 2+ termies (without SS) from attacking you. i personally would go for the 10 man squad as you can take casualties without loosing any heavy weapons. (you may even gain a coversave by having another sqaud in front of you!)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Plasma Cannons and Lascannons are so expensive that they're really better off taken in your Tactical Squads. I keep my Devastators to Missile Launchers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

There isn't really any equipment that makes devs worth taking (they're so not cost effective) but if there was it'd be plasma cannons.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Rocket Jockeys all the way. Cheap and works acceptably against anything in the game.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    There isn't really any equipment that makes devs worth taking (they're so not cost effective) but if there was it'd be plasma cannons.
    Hardly - Even a 5 man unit of Vanilla rocket jockeys is only 150 points - that's for 4 BS4 missile tubes, that can easily be placed in cover in your backfield and don't suffer from stunlock the way our normal light tanks do, and it gets cheaper in the newer codexes. How many other marine units offer that kind of long ranged fire support at that price point? (Against both infantry and vehicles, too)

Predators are really only good against one target type or the other.
    Land Speeders die very easily to light AT that missile troops aren't bothered by.
    Tactical squads only pack a single heavy weapon.
    Dreadnoughts don't come close to this kind of capability for the price point.

Am I missing something here?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

If you want to go infantry (and then be stuck where you are and have a more restricted LOS) then you could have 5 Sternguard + 2 Missiles is 135 IIRC, and the rest have special ammo, or even combi-weapons to make up for the loss of MLs. Devs pay too much for the weapons that are cheaper elsewhere.

Personally though I prefer tanks. Vindicators (cheaper than the dev squad mentioned by the cost of a dev lascannon - i.e. a lot) can pack a lot of wallop, can ignore most weaponry and can move to get a better vantage point if need be. Shorter range yes, but even if both units started at the same point you'd lose 6" of range and at that point (12" deployment, 6" movement, 24" range) you're able to shoot almost anything shy of his table edge anyway. Tanks can also screen units with their bulk, which infantry can't.

Oh and you can't tank shock a unit from an objective with a dev squad sat in your back field.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast