Getting more fun out of your games - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting more fun out of your games

Hey there,

I've been playing 40k with space wolves for over a year now, and I'm getting bored of it. Mainly because almost every game I use what's very effective, lots of grey hunters, long fangs, a rune priest, some TWC, speeders and transports.

I'm getting bored of it, also because most of the players in my neighborhood also play the same army every time. I don't want to buy a new army, because I like SW too much to put them in the closet, but I want to play different style with the army.

Can you guys help me with this? because every time I make a list, I get the same old song, or at least it's basics. I think the mayor difference lies with the HQ, but what is better than a rune priest, maybe a unit that can act on it's own, like TWC wolf lords, but are these any good?

plz help me out on this one guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Frankly, there really isn't a heck of a lot of variation when it comes to the Space Wolves. You could try mixing it up with alternate units in the book, but that'll only take you so far.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Try using the marine codex for more variation,can use plently of strategies with that.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I don't know space wolves at all, but maybe try doing something crazy next game, like boxing all of your units inside of your tanks and then driving a mobile fort towards your enemy. Or try holding everything in reserve, or deepstriking things, or only lining up on one half of the deployment zone... some of these bizarre tactics might result in unusual and enjoyable games!
    Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by veringmeier View Post
    but what is better than a rune priest
    This is the root of your issue. No other HQ is better than a rune priest for the points. Other HQ choices are quite viable, and when mixed properly (ie: wolf priests and blood claws) can be quite killy, but a rune priest with jotww is probably the best HQ. Grey Hunters are better than blood claws. TWC are your best fast attack choice, so are long fangs for heavy support. If you only pick the best things in the codex, of course your list is going to be rather repetitive. But other builds, while not being the best of the best of the best, can still be viable and competitive.

This is probably a shared mindset that is held by everybody in your gaming group, which is why nobody sees it. Everybody you play with probably has it, all in the effort to build the strongest list possible. Given enough playtesting, each codex will only have a single list that is the best possible. When that list is the foundation of all of your other lists, there is only so much wiggle room that you can give yourself.

The best way I could recommend to break from it is to create themes for your lists. Figure out what you like in your army, and go from there. If you like dreadnoughts, for example, you can have a dreadnought HQ with his dreadnought entourage and other support elements that play into that theme. Or perhaps an all drop pod army. If you want another super-build, you can always play a logan-wing, which an all terminator army is a theme in and of itself.

Expect some losses to start with, especially if playing in a hyper-competitive environment, but view it as a challenge to learn how to play the new army. Eventually, I think you'll be surprised how viable the other units in the codex are.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

you can do something crazy like try to convert Thunderwolf Calvery and use Canis Wolfborn to take Fenrisian wolf packs as troops (and with better initiative and leadership). You will still need a couple Grey Hunters squads to hold objectives tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your replies, it made me thinking of some fun things, specially Klajorne, rep for you.

I don't really have themes for my army's, but I can see some fluff about wolf lords, riding on or in their mounts, with their guards, to battle. So I've got 3 different types of lists in my mind:

1] A Wolf Lord with his guards in a Landraider, together with an all mechanized army, which means no long fangs, but speeders for tank busting. This would be much like Cheart's mobile fort.

2] A Wolf Priest with 15 blood claws in a Landraider with 15 bloodclaws, and 2 or 3 10 strong Grey Hunter squads, with plasmaguns, and Long Fangs for tank busting.

3] A Terminator only army, I've seen this working once, and have some termies, but I never tried it, so why not?

4] A TWC army with no scoring units, this means I'm going to use canis and a lord, and some wolfs, and fill the rest up with TWC. I think this would be the last thing I would do, because of all those conversions, but I can proxy them once I think.

I'm going to build some lists, maybe more than 4, and I'm going to try a different approach on every list. And I'm going to buy a Landraider crusader/redeemer, so I can play with the first two lists.

Thanks a lot, and I'm alway open for more suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, this is the first list I came up with:

Wolf Priest, TDA

5 WG, 5TDA, 1) HF,WC 2) CF,CM 3) 2WC 4) SS,PW 5) WC,CM
    Landraider Redeemer, MM, EA

3x 10 Grey Hunters, 2 plasmaguns, PW, rhino

2x Landspeeder, MM, HF

3x Vindicator, dozer

That's 1750 points, I know there's not much unit variety in there, but vindicators and terminators aren't unit's I use very often.

What do you think of it?

+ Reply to Thread