veteran squad upgrade? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: what upgrade on veterans do you prefer?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • granadiers

2 4.55%
  • forward sentries

5 11.36%
  • demolitions

19 43.18%
  • nahhh, i run them without upgrade

18 40.91%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

veteran squad upgrade?

hi everyone!

i,ve played some games with guard and they seems fun so i thought of making an pretty serius all around army list with them and dont know the upgrade thats best on veteran squad.

and one thing more, what models do i use for veterans, penal legions, conscripts, storm troopers and psyker battle squad?

an army that seeks to fight without the protection of the eagle claws is clearly courageous or inept. either way, í wish no part in it - Eolaran Greyhawk, Seamaster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veterans you can use by getting catachan heads and arms onto a cadian body or something along those lines, to give them a gritty look
    Conscripts, just give them a line or something along the helmet of a cadian to show they're different
    Penal legions are more difficult but you could use some of the necromunda units
    Sotrmtroopers and psykers have their models, just live with the cost of metal and get it soon with the price rises, sorry mate not much you can do for it.

For upgrades, give your vets meltaguns, 3 at best for your squad to make them heavily anti-tank and anti... wel anything really, also a chimera per squad at best, the more armour around them, the more will live, and more likely they won't charge you that turn.
    Carapace maybe if your begging for points but find it elsewhere i say, 30pts for a 4+ won't save you much more than a 5+, get stormtroopers for that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Well you can use these guys for cheaper psykers:
    Empire Flagellant Warband | Games Workshop

I converted these, cutting off the claws and adding flames to their hands and feet:
    Daemonettes of Slaanesh | Games Workshop

The metal ones are too expensive, don't bother.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like 3 meltas in a chimera without upgrades. They hunt Land Raiders or the toughest thing in an army without these.
    And I use 3 plasma guns + lascannon or missile launcher with camo cloaks. My opponents hate them because they are hard to get rid of and give excellent fire support with and without orders.

For veteran models I use Cadians combined with some parts from the Catachans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for conscripts i has thinking catachans with cadian heads so they look little bit ''cheeper'' then the normal nice equiped ones, what about that?
    an army that seeks to fight without the protection of the eagle claws is clearly courageous or inept. either way, í wish no part in it - Eolaran Greyhawk, Seamaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

karskins are storm troopers right?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

yes. You can still use them as a veteran squad if you prefer anyway (model-wise, of course)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Vets are one of the most flexible units in the IG codex. The setup that you use depends on what you want them to do. For objective grabbing, 3 meltaguns and a chimera is the most common. As far as doctrines, demolitions is pretty nice for the points.

For models, I use:

Vets - Cadians (some folks will give them a color differentiator on helmet or shoulderpad)
    Stormies - Cadians different color scheme
    Penal Legion - Catchans
    PBS - Empire Flagellants, rebased for 40K
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeevil
    Vets are one of the most flexible units in the IG codex. The setup that you use depends on what you want them to do.
    Well, no, they really don't do anything except spam special weapons. Which is effective, of course, but not really flexible.

I'm sometimes fond of demolition vets for having so many meltabombs. My enemies routinely get half a dozen damage results against my tanks at a time while my shooting rarely does more than two. It can be cathartic to put a demovet team in a Valkyrie, throw it up the field with the scout move and then have ten good chances to penetrate the Land Raider waiting to run me down or some such unit. The demo charge is a consolation prize in case the enemy sees the first tactic coming. Either way, they give my opponent a harder time with their close combat Death Star Purifying Supervets of Doom unit.

Most of my opponents are used to seeing my men do nothing against vehicles....
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I use Elysian drop troops

Forge World - ELYSIAN DROP TROOP SQUAD

I bought the weapon upgrades pack, and bam, they're a perfect fit. Since my vets always deploy with Vendettas, I figured it was fitting for them to use THE airmoble model.

12. LikeSharkz8945 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast