Elysian drop troops, tactics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elysian drop troops, tactics?

I have just started (the expensive) building of an IA8 drop troop army. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on tactics? They all deep strike but are otherwise v.similar to IG. My list is posted in the army list section. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Well there seems like two ways to go when building them. First is the air cav route where everyone is in valkyries and vendettas. You'd play that like mech eldar I guess, zipping around the board and focusing fire where you can.

The more interesting build for me is the paratrooper build where you make full use of your deepstriking and take an infantry heavy force that drops in.
    The main benefit there is you get more points to spend on inf since you're saving on transports. Looking at your list you seem to have gone all-out for that type of build.

The things that really jump out to me are:

Deepstriking heavy weapon teams. Dropping missile launchers away from the fighting would really hurt against more CC oriented forces, drawing away troops or sniping away with side and rear armour hits on their vehicles.

Deepstriking Sentinels with multi meltas. These look like a great buy, side/rear melta hits for 50 points? Yikes!

Deepstriking special weapon teams. These guys with meltaguns are good value in a regular guard army but with deepstriking they can be placed into really horrible places (like next to land raiders). Again they are cheap throwaway units.

The main bulk of your infantry will want to be playing keepaway with enemy troops. I think if you can get then into around an 18 inch range they will do their best work. With multiple squads you can have them running in circles chasing cheap squads.
    The army will really come down to positioning. Having a good understanding of the enemy threat ranges and keeping your squishy troops outside of it will be very important. You will also probably want to try and defeat them in detail if possible, dropping in a concentrated force on one part of his army so you can destroy it utterly before the other parts can react.

Personally I'd have taken some Vendettas and a vulture with punishers because I think they are great looking models and they are good value for their points. The mobility the Vendettas give could prove useful if they survive into the late game. Vendettas with special weapon squads sporting 3x flamers inside is a very nasty combo for late game objective sniping.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main reasons that i didn't go for any tanks in my list was fluff (I want to model a parachute company) and that I prefer to go all out for one type of troop. However I would love to include a few vultures/vendettas. I think that Vultures with punisher cannons look awesome.
    One of my major questions is how much to upgrade my infantry squads I have gone to town a bit with demo charges power weapons flamers and the like, this ups their cost to an average of 10 pts a model (2 guardsmen). I could easily have spent more with commissars.
    Obviously elysians are going to excel at objective missions and do less well at others. Do you have any ideas about how to minimise this?
    thanks for your help so far.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I agree with no tanks, the Elysians can't take them anyway, the transports I was thinking of are Valks but they mean less points for inf.

The #1 thing to remember is that this list is for fun and fluff more than competitiveness. You'll struggle in any game, not just kill points.

These ideas are just my thoughts about how I'd use the list, I've not gotten around to using it yet so take it with a heavy pinch of salt.

Having said that there are two main philosophies I'd keep in mind

- Firstly I like deploying my gunships centrally, then scout moving them to the side of the board with the least AA weaponry. It lets you have your birds on firing from the start but still keep them fairly survivable. They'll count as obscured if the enemy goes first and you can focus fire on their flank to help your guys out when you drop.

I don't know what loadout on squads will work best. I'd be wary of power weapons given you're only S3 I3 guardsmen, but as I say, I've not tried the list in a real game so it's all speculation. I do think it's worth spending the extra points to make your squads as lethal as possible. It's all about the optimal way to do that, spending the extra points in and of itself is a good thing. You're saving on transports since they can just jump where they want to go so you do have points to work with.

One thing to think about though is trying to keep the enemy at around 12 inches, preferably with some intervening terrain. This means you can double-tap your lasguns but they'll have to get lucky to assault you.
    Going for a counter-charge also lets you make use of things like auxillary grenade launchers and those demo charges.

Some plasma guns and/or GLs may turn out to be better if you find your men get minced too easily. These weapons have better reach than flamers and demo charges so you can play keepaway better.

I'd definatly take special weapon squads for their extra firepower. These guys running around with 3x melta or 3x GLs can make a real pain of themselves. The nice thing about the GLs is you have that extra reach to drop in less dangerously and still shoot. You can also keep mobile and be less likely to get charged.

The bottom line though, is get a force you feel happy with. The Elysian list is first and foremost a fun list so the main priority is to make sure it looks and feels like an airborne force when you come to play it. Anyway good luck with your army, it's a great theme!
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Welcome Collingwood to the world of the elite drop troops army. The IA Vol 8 codex is correct saying that the list is not for the inexperienced player unless they don't mind loosing. It is a precission list but I have had some success with it.

I went for a mix of air cavalry and paratroopers. I initially looked at getting an all aircav force but the model count gets too low so I added a standard platoon which can deploy normally or by depstriking. Most of your squads are 5-10 points more expensive than in the standard codex to reflect the deepstrike ability and the iron discipline.

HQ: Command Buggy 60

Troops: 10 Veterans, 3 plasma 125
    Troops: 10 Veterans, 3 plasma 125
    Troops: Drop Platoon
    -PCS, Melta 45
    -Squad, GL, Demo 85
    -Squad, GL, Demo 85
    -SWS, 3 Demo, 100
    -SWS, 3 Demo, 100
    -2 Drop Sentinels, MM 100

Fast: Vendetta, HB 140

Heavy: Vulture, Punnisher Cannon 155
    Heavy: Sky Talon, Missile Pods 100

Total 1500

HQ: You could take a CCS for the orders but they are a little flimsy. Making a static command centre with standard and cammo cloaks can work if they deploy in cover keeping other troopers happy, especially if you have a lot of HWS to give orders to. A commisar is good for Aircav lists but he does make any squad he joins a particular target and 10 guardsmen can easily be gunned down. I therefore chose the special character buggy from IA8 as he can scoot around the battlefield behind cover using his reroll to bring in reserves. Remember a whole platoon makes only one roll to arrive so the reroll can be very effective bringing in 5 units or so.

Elites: As you can see I diddn't bother. Storm troops are ok but expensive and they cannot claim objectives unlike veterans. Sentinels you may as well take as part of a platoon to arrive on the same reserve roll.

Troops: Veterans are fantastic and the ability to deepstrike makes the plasma guns really worth it. Yes they will overheat and the enemy will shoot them as soon as he can to avoid them rappid firing a second time but they can wipe out MEQs and terminators effectively. They deepstrike, kill 6 MEQs on average then die to the survivours who lock them in combat. The trick is to operate them in pairs so there are no survivours in 12". If not in pairs you then call in some fire support to finnish off survivours from a vendetta.

My Platoon is very flexible and can fulfill a variety of roles. The squads + PCS can deploy on foot in cover holding home objectives. They can go to ground and are a cheap way of forcing the enemy to deal with long range guys in cover while all the decent stuff is deepstriking all over him. The platoon can instead deepstrike and take its chances with 8 demo charges. This can have great benifits but if the scatter goes wrong it can be bloody on both sides. If not deepstriking the SWS should travel in the vendettas. Using the scout move or even outflanking you can usually deliver them to where their suicide run will generate maximum payoff. The sentinels obviously deepstrike and kill tanks but they can also tie up S3 or S4 infantry in useless combats.

Fast: Vendettas make a great long range strike force able to deliver passengers and open up transports easily. The scout move is very flexible when combined with moving flat out. Passengers can even make a first turn charge with them almost anywhere on the table but it's a shame we have no combat units who would want to except against tau and other guard. However against tanks it can be devastating if you have krak grenades or the demolitions upgrade. e.g. Turn zero you move the vendetta 24" and end up sideways on and 13" from some enemy tanks. On your turn one (assuming no steal initiative) you disembark 10 meltavets with demolitions 2" from your base edge (plus the 1" of your infantry bases) then move 6", and multi charge as many tanks as you can reach. 10 auto hits with meltabombs on rear armour should be fun.
    Another use for vendettas is long range fire support in your backfield. They plod around firing at tanks and even MEQs. This is why I add the door gunners because when all tanks are destroyed they can have a secondary use killing men. While performing this role they can also undertake med-evac duties. As an Elysian squad takes casualties it can become almost useless, a kill point waiting to happen and not really good for anything but a pot shot. Better to have the vendetta pick up the 1-2 man unit to protect it from kill points or (if the squad is troops) to make the vendetta a scoring unit because of the scoring passengers.

Heavy: I kept away from the fighters as many people don't like using flyers in regular games when a pintel mounted Storm bolter is their only AA weapon. My favourite is the vulture. Any antitank loadout for them is quickly eclipsed by the vendetta so I went anti horde with it. Punnisher cannon are a laugh and the chin mounted HB can chip in too but it does slow you down to get 3 extra shots. Another loadout is 4 missile pods but the points cost is high and really I would rather have a Valkyrie because of the transport capacity and the scout move. As a cheap version of this I took a sky tallon who can deliver sentinels or even the HQ but I usually just use it as a cheap pie plate platform.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; June 9th, 2011 at 13:09.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

I did (a while ago) an overview of IA8 as well as post several different and fluffy army lists, that still have a competitive bite to them. Check them out at the link below and if you have any questions you can hit me up in an email from there. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

3++ is the new black. | Kirb your enthusiasm!: IA 8 Elysians: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

+ Reply to Thread