The Stormraven: Do you like it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Stormraven: Do you like it?

To me, the Stormraven looks a little expensive for what it does, so I'm wondering what other peoples' experience with it is like.

It doesn't seem to make it into a great many lists on this forum or others. It seems to suffer from jack of all trades syndrome - it can deepstrike units that generally deepstrike anyway (albeit with less precision), it can use a TLMM for anti-vehicle or TLAC for antilight/inf but so can a Land Raider at AV 14.

Do you like Stormravens? What do you use them for? Do you consider them the best option for the job or just like them cos they look awesome?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they're a bit pricey in a codex that is filled with extremely pricey options. I definitely think they fit well in a Blood Angels list, but GK's already have so many great options. I could see people using them as tank hunters, but Dreads with psybolt Autocannons can glance the heck out of even av14 vehicles reliably.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I do like them. A lot. But they are quite tricky to employ. You can't just toss one into a list and expect quality results.

The fear people always express is the fear of losing something so important and expensive. Yes, if the stormraven goes down you've lost something important. But you'll still have the guys you were transporting and possibly the dread you embarked as well. Not useless at all. It's no different than learning how to deal with the loss of a land raider or 3 of your razorbacks in one lucky round of shooting. These losses can be accounted for.

The key to using the Stormraven is not making it the sole point of attack. Because so many points can go invested into its utility, you have to be extra careful with the rest of your army list. The stormraven will always stand out a bit -- because it's got great firepower and can quickly deliver your assets around the table -- but you can't let it stand out "too obviously". It's use must be balanced by an incredibly lethal surrounding list. If they want to shoot at your stormraven, OK then. You better have a list that can punish them hard even if you lose it because of their focus on it.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to be trying out the Stormraven fairly soon. Though it makes a large target it seems to be a pretty good gunboat as well as troop carrier which allows me to move my terminators around faster than the Land Raider. I also think it looks cool, which is one of the requirements for inclusion in any list I write .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use one of them to deliver my Deathcult Assassins into the fray. As numer6 said, it will be an obvious target from the get go, but that is something you just have to take into account and make use of. Sometimes I leave it off the bord in reserves, since the 24" move makes it possible to move it just about anywhere on the bord in a couple of turns, but usually I have it on from turn 1. It really depends on the opponents amount of ranged fire. Might start off the bord when facing 4+ railguns for example. As I play a pure inquisition force otherwise, focused fire on my Stormraven might just make my Chimeras last longer, or the other way around. It makes for an intresting front with three Chimeras and a Stormraven right behind them.
    PigBenis69: pistol buff!
    You: What's the magic word?
    PigBenis69: stfu n00b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personaly, psycologicaly your opponent sees at as a huge target and it WILL get shot at a lot. I think the way to make it work is to keep it cheap and not to invest too many points. Also a combo which works well is 2 inquisitors with psychic communion and fill the stormraven with death cult assasins. The assasins are cheap and are a potent close combat unit. Keep it in reserve and your opponent will think twice about stepping into your board edge. Used correctly the stormraven can be very usefull but you need a game plan as well as an awareness that it aint that tough and will very likely get shot down.

Also if you are worried about your psychic defence a stormraven is usefull as you can pick out characters from squads with your mindstrike missles. These can easily kill a librarian with a storm shield.
    Nothing more funny than 3 inquisitors with sanctify when facing deamons. They cant do anything while you stand in front of them having a tee break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(double post)
    Nothing more funny than 3 inquisitors with sanctify when facing deamons. They cant do anything while you stand in front of them having a tee break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep strike that bad boy using servo skulls for accuracy right infront of your enemy. Deploy a terminator squad out the ramp, and you have a serious amount of firepower. When you do deploy just make sure you take out anything that can hurt you. Has worked for me almost every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havn't used them yet but it seems to me that stormravens are just as good as land raiders if not slightly better all round, it is important to note that they must be used quite differently.

The fact that the storm raven is fast means that when moving at speed it suffers glancing hits only; meaning it can only be destroyed on a 6 and your troops suffer no casualties if it is destroyed; this would seem to make it a very effective troop transport when used properly, which can quickly and safely carry your terminator models into the fray or straight to the objectives.

A land raider has 14 armour but can only use it's smoke launchers once per game, leaving it vulnerable to penetrating hits and the casualties which can come with them.

Think about how many turns your troops are on board either vehicle before they reach their drop off points with the above in mind; and it seems clear that stormravens are far better at transporting your precious units in safety.

Stormravens also have a far greater firing visibility unless your playing on a flat featureless board.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster Angelus View Post
    Deep strike that bad boy using servo skulls for accuracy right infront of your enemy.
    Why risk deep-striking when you can just Flat Out onto the table from reserves? There's barely any difference in ability to shoot an enemy unit. And there is nowhere the raven can't get to on its 2nd turn after Flat Out ... exactly the same as deep striking, only without any risk of mishaps.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

12. LikePingl000 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread