New to IG, looking for input on a list and modelling advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

New to IG, looking for input on a list and modelling advice

Hi yall, I have been looking to start an ig army for some time now, and have decided this summer to really get down to business and get an army together. I have a 750 pt list that I put together and was hoping to get some advice from more experienced ig players:

750 IG

Company Command Squad
    3 plasmas

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Cmnd
    3 plasmas

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Grenade Launcher

Penal Legion

Veteran Squad
    3 meltas
    Chimera

Hydra

Colossus

The only part of this that I am pretty stuck on is the Lord Commisar (who I was planning to run with the penal legion), anything else I am open to any suggestions. (EDIT: after reading the advice, I decided to let the Commisar go, at least for my starter list. I'll have to add this guy back in at higher pt games)

I also was wondering if anyone could suggest an inexpensive way to to gas masks/ hostile climate gear for cadians (the forge world kits are a little too pricey for me), and also I was wondering if there is any convention or rules for naming a regiment and assigning colors. thanks for any help!

EDIT: I also wanted to add in that I want this to be a strongly defensive army, not really an artillery regiment, but an army that is highly adept at digging in and repelling assaults. In higher points games, I would like to also add at least one penal legion squad, more for the fluff and modelling than for their actual usefulness. If anyone can give any advice to that end, as well as what to call such a force (not name and number, I mean a designation) I would appreciate it

Last edited by eaglesmvp11; June 6th, 2011 at 01:01.
    [COLOR=Red]My Warriors of Chaos Warband . [B][URL]http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/projects/193227-eaglesmvp11s-warriors-chaos-warband.html click the egg to help it grow!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

first of all: what is your points threshold? i guess 750p, but i might be wrong.
    Second: anyway, drop the medipack and the carapace armor from the CCS. they aren't a threat for your enemy so they won't be targeted that much. plus, anything with str 6+ will negate FNP save.
    Third: plasmagun aren't reliable on the regular infantry. It would be better a meltagun (if you plan to go tankbusting) or a Grenade launcher for general purpose
    4th: you should strip down the HWS and split it into your line infantry. This will make them more resilient.
    5th: even if i like griffons, and i will manage to sneak one or two of them into my list, in this one they are not that useful. a single, not that strong, large pie in the whole list is like a drop in the ocean. For the same points, you should put in an hydra at least.

Penal legions can be fun, i guess, but they are too much random and this might be counterproductive.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

These guys have heads for about 25p each:
    Head Sprues : Pig Iron Productions, 28mm Gaming Minatures

The winter heads look good to me. You end up with something like this:
    http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery...Pig%20Iron.JPG

(but with cooler hats)
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For colours you should have a dark-ish cloth colour folled with a lighter armour if you want an army to stand out with cadian armour, the only exception are the cadians themselves who have a dullish colour scheme anyway. Make it reflect the fluff of your army, e.g. lava planets use Red armour with a dark cloth underneath, Snow worlds use Light blue armour with a lighter cloth

Naming a regiment is generally quite simple;

1. find a planet you like (lexicanium has a tonne if you look around, you could make one up) and that is your armies general name, e.g. velocia would become the velocian guard
    2. Choose a number (generally 3 digits or less, 2 if its a small planet) and this would be the regiment you fill, now it would become the 53rd velocian regiment
    3. Still not complete, Now you need to look at what you will be focusing on in your army, from the little unique units there to define the army, i'd say your heavy infantry due to the armoured sentinals, but name it as you plan to build your army, so alot of chimera's would make you a mechanized infantry, alot of russ's would make you a armoured division, etc etc,

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesmvp11 View Post
    Lord Commisar
    p.fist
    You've said that you really want to take this guy, but he really isn't useful in such a small list. His only good role is as a baby sitter to 4+ Heavy Weapons Squads. So that they have a decent enough leadership not to run off the board when they're spat at.

So, unless you're going to take a lot of HWSs, leave him on the shelf.

Company Command Squad
    Mdei-pack
    Regimental standard
    Vox-caster
    Carapace Armour
    This unit is 120 points of doesn't-do-much. Medi-Paks are overcosted by half, Vox-casters are of marginal value (6" range), and carapace armor is a highly situational upgrade that's not worth the points most of the time. You're also wasting the BS4 of the squad!

The squad should look more like one of these options:

150 - Company Command Squad w/3 x Melta, Regimental Standard, Chimera (Multi-Laser + Hull Heavy Flamer) - Offensive, leading the charge!
    165 - Company Command Squad w/3 x Plasma, Regimental Standard, Chimera (Multi-Laser + Hull Heavy Flamer) - Defensive, protecting the backfield.

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Cmnd
    Vox-caster

Infantry Squad
    Plasma gun
    Vox

Infantry Squad

Plasma gun
    Vox

Heavy Weapons
    3 autocannons
    Give the PCS squad 4 meltas or 4 flamers and put them in a Chimera.

Your Infantry Squads should all be autocannon + grenade launcher.

A single Heavy Weapons Squad is a bit useless, as S6 weapons (Assault Cannons and Multi-Lasers) can wipe the entire squad out in one turn of shooting because they insta-kill your teams. Anybody left will run 50% of the time without a Lord Commie around to baby-sit. But he's not worth the points unless you have 3-4 heavy weapons squads.

Penal Legion
    Unreliable to the point of uselessness. Leave these guys on the shelf and take some veterans (w/3 special weapons and a Chimera) instead.

2 armoured sentinels
    2 lascannons
    Should be 3 Scout Sentinels with Autocannons for fewer points, more shots, and more mobility (move through cover).

Griffon
    To my mind, these should always be taken in 2's or 3's. But even so, I'm not crazy about Griffons. At this point level, you need a Marine killing tank like a vanilla Russ.

The only part of this that I am pretty stuck on is the Lord Commisar (who I was planning to run with the penal legion), anything else I am open to any suggestions.
    Please reconsider that combo. It's not going to win you games.

I also was wondering if anyone could suggest an inexpensive way to to gas masks/ hostile climate gear for cadians (the forge world kits are a little too pricey for me), and also I was wondering if there is any convention or rules for naming a regiment and assigning colors. thanks for any help!
    I've seen the Pig Iron heads used to great effect by a friend of mine. That's how I'd do it.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

thank you all for the advice! I have made changes based on your suggestions; i'll add them to the original post. tell me what you think!

And thanks korona for the suggestion on the heads. much better option for my wallet.
    [COLOR=Red]My Warriors of Chaos Warband . [B][URL]http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/projects/193227-eaglesmvp11s-warriors-chaos-warband.html click the egg to help it grow!

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

I don't think you need the plasmacannon sponsons on the russ at this points level. especially with the amount of plasma you already have. I think heavy bolters would be better.

Right now you don't have any forward units to capture objectives, unless you're thinking of going jump a unit in the chimera later.

At this points level, penal legion isn't too bad actually. They're good unit to capture objectives.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesmvp11 View Post
    And thanks korona for the suggestion on the heads. much better option for my wallet.
    Here's a battle report with some pics of the Krieg conversions my friend did using Pig Iron heads and Cadian bodies.

The Back 40K: Battle Report: Tallarn vs. The Death Korps of Krieg

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I really like those grav chutes.

Pack - Jump packs
    Are they these? I looked around to see what they were.

Someone used them to make these:
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...ROTROOPERS.jpg

Defiantly a nice budget option if you want an Elysian army that looks the part but doesn't cost so much.

Further down this thread someone shows some WIP shots of the process. It's so cool.
    http://commissar.proboards.com/index...ay&thread=3370
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Korona View Post
    I really like those grav chutes.

Pack - Jump packs
    Are they these? I looked around to see what they were.
    That looks close enough to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast