Fire Support Sternguard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Fire Support Sternguard

I am adding an additional fire support unit to my marine army and this time it will be Sternguard. The idea is to use the special ammunition that gives them chance to deal with any infantry unit imaginable. I have enough parts to build a full 10 man sternguard squad and a spare Rhino to taxi them around. Now the question is: What special or heavy weapons should I give them?

My bitz box has two meltas, two plasmaguns, two flamers, two combimeltas, heavy bolter, three missile launchers, lascannon, plasmacannon and a powerfist which I can use to equip this unit.

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    I am adding an additional fire support unit to my marine army and this time it will be Sternguard. The idea is to use the special ammunition that gives them chance to deal with any infantry unit imaginable. I have enough parts to build a full 10 man sternguard squad and a spare Rhino to taxi them around. Now the question is: What special or heavy weapons should I give them?

My bitz box has two meltas, two plasmaguns, two flamers, two combimeltas, heavy bolter, three missile launchers, lascannon, plasmacannon and a powerfist which I can use to equip this unit.
    I didn't hear the heavy flamer option. But seriously, seems the most popular is the combi-melta. That way they can keep their special ammo for infantry, but also have the melta-shot (or several for a guarantee pop) for ... uhm, non-infantry.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I like a mix of combi-flamers, combi-meltas and heavy flamers for my squad - it keeps most of them with the special ammo and the heavy flamers are capable of making a serious mess of hordes. I don't like taking heavy weapons as they can't be fired on the move (thankfully heavy flamers are assault weapons).
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    I like a mix of combi-flamers, combi-meltas and heavy flamers for my squad - it keeps most of them with the special ammo and the heavy flamers are capable of making a serious mess of hordes. I don't like taking heavy weapons as they can't be fired on the move (thankfully heavy flamers are assault weapons).
    I don't have combi-flamers or heavy flamers in my bitz box but I'm sure I could convert some.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    I don't have combi-flamers or heavy flamers in my bitz box but I'm sure I could convert some.
    I'm sure you don't, but I have to ask anyways: do you have any of the terminator heavy-flamers? That's what I used for my Vulkan count-as and it's a pretty easy conversion. I think that's what most people are using for their sternguard heavy flamers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I agree in that gathering or creating combi-weapons isn't easy, but it's almost all I ever use. The use of special ammunition does glorious things things for me, couple that with a few combi-melta/flamers in my squad makes Emysk a happy commander. Really though my sternguard are by far my favorite, most used, and most effective unit hands down. Depending on points I'll usually do something like 3 combi-melta, and 3 combi-flamer. As for my vet. sarge, I usually give him a powerfist, yet I'm one of those players who loves seeing all his sergeants running around the field giving MCs high fives with massive energized palms. Remember, since all stern are vets they have 2 attacks base, so they can be a pretty lethal combat force if put into the situation (Though I'm sure you know that ).

I've done a game with 2 plasma guns in the squad as well against GK, and that was great, yet I wouldn't use it often. I also must say I've never used the heavy flamer so I can't give you my opinion on that.
    Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    I'm sure you don't, but I have to ask anyways: do you have any of the terminator heavy-flamers? That's what I used for my Vulkan count-as and it's a pretty easy conversion. I think that's what most people are using for their sternguard heavy flamers.
    Not quite:Imperial Guard heavy flamers with converted backpack marine:MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

I had to do it forgive me

On topic:Combi weapons not heavy on sternguard,at least for me.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's terrible that combi-weapons are so difficult to get ahold of. I think that for the points, they are one of the best buys in the book. Combi-meltas/flamers are probably the best bet for you, since you're giving them transport. You can concentrate on using them to slaughter infantry, but if something comes up and needs a melta shot, or if there are just a few more orks in that horde than you want to deal with, you've got options. It's a win-win situation.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just recently converted my third tac squad to Sterngaurd, armed with 4 converted combi meltas and 2 converted combi plasmas, 2 stormbolters.
    This coupled with special issue ammo, i feel will give me firepower for everything, they pod in as well. So i always get it where i want it, and can deal with anything i need too.
    Ill post a pic of my combi melta conversion for you

I also dont take heavy weapons because of not being able to fire on the move
    P1040063.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Allen; June 8th, 2011 at 20:59.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a slick conversion. Nice.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast