help! old player, old models, new army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help! old player, old models, new army

many, many years ago i purchased the beginnings of a deamonhunters army. i had a poor grasp of 40k tactics, though, not many opponents to play against, and i never finished putting the force together before moving on to other things.
    i recently unearthed the entire batch of guys while organizing my miniatures box (im a painter) and decided it might be fun to give them another run. the problem is, i still dont know where to start! i was hoping you might be able to scrape together a small force that i could build upon down the line. here's what i have to work with:
    codex (on loan from a buddy, until i get things sorted)
    10xgk 2xpsycannons, 7x halberds, 1x sword
    10xgk 2xincinerators, 7x halberds, 1x sword
    10xtagk assorted blades (many conversions) and 1xpsycannon + 1xincinerator OR 1xpsycannon (i have both arm bits)

loads of inquisitorial stuff, including a model that could work as either a tooled up inq, or a brotherhood champion
    3x melta ists, 7xists w/ hellgun
    2x inquisitors
    combat servitor
    all 4 assassins (several times over)
    2x DCAs
    a dozen 40k preacher types and other henchmen & skulls etc (i can do all types of load-outs with some conversion work).

so, what can i do with this? im an expert painter and modeller, with a bits pile & sculpting skills that would make most gamers cry with envy, so i can convert up just about anything wargear wise (jump packs, banners, hammers, intensive weapon swaps, whatever; itll just take time).

some guidelines are: i prefer footslogging or deepstriking. as a painter i loath the idea of working on a boxy vehicle. i may add some later (well, all or nothing). i prefer small games. for now im thinking 750-1k. eventually ill put together 1750 for local tourneys. with that in mind id like these units to be scalable. ill spend a few hundred hours painting them up, so id like to be able to use them in a wide variety of games. for now id like to keep the number of new purchases down; im a new dad and i dont have a lot of disposable income to throw around ATM.

any feedback on how to use these guys would be great too. as i mentioned before, i suck at 40k.

thanks for your help!

Last edited by funnymouth; June 10th, 2011 at 02:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think about using all those halberd troops as Purifiers =) That is what I ended up doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerrik View Post
    I would think about using all those halberd troops as Purifiers =) That is what I ended up doing.
    i was thinking of going in that direction. i also noticed that purgation squads also get a deal on goodies, and get combat squad as well. what if i did this with the PAGK

purifiers 10x halberds 9x deamonhammer 1x, psybolts 284
    purgation squad 10x, psycannons 2x, incinerators 2x, hammer 1x, halberds 5x 255 (can be split) extra hammer?

then for the rest....
    make a big squad of paladins (9x) + GM w/ skulls n stuff
    coteaz (custom model, much cooler, fluff it however)
    3x of > melta +2 warriors
    plasma cannon + 2 warriors
    psykers (#?)+2 assassins (when the psykers bite it, the assassins are free to assault)
    vindicare

each the melta squads supports a gk squad with armor. all in closeish formation.

kina a bonkers idea compared to other lists ive seen, and certainly not very compedative. downside = lots of easy killpoints. upside = if they're shooting my melta guy, then my gk are not getting shot / lots of low priority scoring units. keeps the GK super elite (i like my multiple attacks, d*mn it!)
    to grow the list i simply add more henchmen (add more melta, plasma, dca), teleporting gk, or purgation squads.
    thoughts?
    im open to other ideas. i was thinking for lower points i could do 2x purifier squads , termis as troops and a brotherhood champion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Castellan Crowe turns Purifiers into troops, and he's only 50pt more than the Brotherhood Champion.

At 1000 points you could do something like this if you wanted to stay pure foot

HQ - 230

Castellan Crowe

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - 80
    + Terminator Armor
    + Psycannon

Elites - 174

Vindicare Assassin

Inquisitorial Henchmen
    + 5 Warriors w/ Bolter
    + Warrior

Troops - 596

Purifier Squad - 298
    + 2x Daemonhammer
    + 4x Halberd
    + 4x Psycannon

Purifier Squad - 298
    + 2x Daemonhammer
    + 4x Halberd
    + 4x Psycannon
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I too have been running a hacked-together Crowe-Purifier list when I want/need to play all-painted. My "new codex" lists must either be played without paint or with "counts as" substitutes. (It takes me quite a while to obtain all the models and get them painted. So! Expensive! So! Slow! ) All those halberds are prohibitively expensive upgrades for Strike Squads without adding any real utility. At least they're cheap on Purifiers and work well there. The lack of hammers, however, is definitely a liability. Generous opponents have been letting me run my old Justicar models as hammers to help.

Which is to say: I think taking Crowe is a good idea if you want to focus on GKs. I think it's the best way to use the old metal PAGK models.

The total lack of vehicles will prove problematic. All-infantry GK armies can be made, but they generally rely on spamming psycannon units in one form or another, and it doesn't look like you have enough to really pull it off. Unmounted Inquisitorial Warbands are incredibly fragile, and while you wisely have meltas ... not having a vehicle to deliver them on target renders them nearly useless.

Here are the best army lists I could come up with given the limitations of your collection. The lack of anti-armour and mobility are, unfortunately, massive liabilities, but without improving your model collection, there's little that can be done to improve the situation. In particular, the 1750 pt list is seriously padded out just to make the points limit. IMHO, you can make only a barely playable army at 1000 pts or less, but don't have the tools required to go beyond that.

+++++

HQ
    [150 pts] Crowe

Troop
    [136 pts] 5 Purifiers, psycannon, 3 halberds, 1 sword
    [136 pts] 5 Purifiers, psycannon, 3 halberds, 1 sword
    [128 pts] 5 Purifiers, incinerator, 4 halberds
    [225 pts] 5 Terminators, psycannon (1 hammer and the rest halberds if possible, othwerwise halberds and swords)
    [225 pts] 5 Terminators, psycannon (1 hammer and the rest halberds if possible, othwerwise halberds and swords)

Total: 1000 pts

+++++

HQ
    [150 pts] Crowe
    [89 pts] Inquisitor, terminator armour, hammer, psycannon, 3 servo skulls

Elite
    [145 pts] Vindicare Assassin
    [130 pts] Eversor Assassin
    [215 pts] 12 Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband members: 3 Warriors w/meltas and carapace armour, 2 Warriors w/hot shot lasguns and carapace armour, 2 DCAs, 2 banishers w/eviscerators, 3 Crusaders

Troop
    [284 pts] 10 Purifiers, psycannon, incinerator, 7 halberds, 1 sword, psybolt ammunition
    [284 pts] 10 Purifiers, psycannon, incinerator, 7 halberds, 1 sword, psybolt ammunition

Total: 1747 pts

Most games, I would combat squad the Purifiers, putting the the psycannon in one squad and the incinerator in the other.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were you, I'd try to get more Psycannons in those purifiers.

You can also do as I did. I pulled off the Justicar swords to use on Interceptors and replaced them with Halberds. Pick up a box of GKs and build up one with the Psycannon. Build up another to weild a Psycannon (Then use a bits place to buy a single Psycannon) Sub in one of your old GKs as an interceptor with a sword, and use one of your incinerators as an Interceptor.

That will give you 20 Purifiers with 4 psycannons total and the rest in Halberds and 5 Interceptors with an Incinerator

Plus all those other goodies that number6 has suggested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so i definitely need more psycannons. i could convert the incinerators. i love burning heretics, but if i have no wheels to get to the B-B-Q then they do me no good.
    im not totally sold on crowe. seems like a 150pt paperweight with that sword of his. unless im totally off base here, id like to avoid him.
    how about something like this @ 1k:
    HQ:
    inquisitor > power weapon OR combi-melta - 35pts
    TROOPS:
    gkss (10) > hammer, psybolts - 230pts
    gkt (5) > hammer, psycannon - 225
    gkt (5) > hammer, psycannon - 225
    HEAVY:
    purg (10) > 4x psycannons, tp homer - 285

total: 1000

the idea is to deny targets on the board (via DS) until im ready to shoot at mid range. cant decide if i should exploit the number of attacks the inq gets, or use him as "last ditch" armor defense. if im up against alpha strike, i wont DS.

is this workable? can i fix it? i have the bits, but id hate to get halfway through the conversions then change my mind.

to bump the points, i think some new interceptors are a must have to grant me some mobility, and id love to add in a gm so i can scout some squads to further help out. i have 2 vindicares i could bring as well - that could be nasty at around 1750 (i didnt see anything restricting me to just one).
    Last edited by funnymouth; June 11th, 2011 at 00:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops #2
    Last edited by funnymouth; June 11th, 2011 at 00:52.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

These days you can have more than one major temple assassin ... but you can't duplicate any of them. Note the "Unique" notation in the army list entry. Thus it's impossible to take more than one Vindicare; you get 1 and only 1.

Don't knock Crowe too badly. As many Crowe aficionados on this forum have been attesting, he's not a paperweight. Yes, he requires a bit of finesse to employ properly, but he's actually pretty handy in a fight. The thing is, until he reaches combat, he's not actually a threat to anything. This makes him remarkably survivable. How many players want their entire 10 man tactical squad -- or even a devastator/long fangs combat squad -- to waste a shooting phase killing Crowe walking across the table when you should be throwing a lot more at your opponent at the same time?

Of course, if you had some transports, you could either give Crowe a ride or just run him behind one, out of sight....

Regarding your list: your Inquisitor looks nigh useless. The guy is simply not going to be capable of using either a power weapon effectively in combat (he's little better than a Guard squad commander, just has a couple of extra wounds), and a one-shot melta weapon without more melta backup -- and a transport to deliver it on target -- is similarly useless.

Don't take meltas unless you're going to mount up in transports. Their utility really only comes into play at 6" or less. No opponent is going to let you walk that close. If you're going unmounted, you must spam psycannons; this is the only other option available to the GK codex.

The previous 1000 pt list I built is, IMHO, the absolute best you can do using your existing models exactly as they are. If you're willing to buy/convert or play with significant "counts as" contingents, something like this would work better, I think. (Still attempting to use the units you appear to be favoring, such as Terminators.)

HQ
    [80 pts] Inquisitor, terminator armour, hammer, psycannon

Troop
    [120 pts] 5 Strikers, psycannon, justicar w/hammer
    [120 pts] 5 Strikers, psycannon, justicar w/hammer
    [225 pts] 5 Terminators, psycannon, 4 halberds, hammer
    [225 pts] 5 Terminators, psycannon, 4 halberds, hammer

Fast Attack
    [228 pts] 8 Interceptors, psycannon, justicar w/hammer

Total: 998 pts

This gives you 6 psycannons and a hammer in every unit, which means every unit has the ability to hurt anything in both shooting and assault. The list would actually be considerably more offensive without terminators at all (replacing with more strikers and interceptors), but at 1000 pts -- with 11 TDA models on the table -- that's at least pretty decent resilience.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, the inq is kinda useless in that previous list of mine. ive been considering your advice, and i think i have come up with something that may be workable. it involves the purchase of a single vehicle, as the only new model.

[450pts] 10gkt, 2x psycannon, 2x hammer, mixed weapons > combat squad
    [220] 10gkss, 2x psycannon
    [220] 10gkss, 2x psycannon
    [25] inquisitor
    [20] henchmen, mystic, 2x acolytes w/ bolters
    [55] chimera
    total: 990 (10 points for a hammer or gear for inq/ ret)

idea: the inquisitor is still basically useless, but has a ride with some kick. he will function as a mobile tp homer, hopefully getting in to 24" of objective/target, or at least mid-board, before his wheels pop. all the GK DS to his location, using the wreckage as cover.
    in higher points games i would add more dsing gk, add some bodies to the henchmen, give the inq psychic communication, and have a librarian with shrouding+summoning in the deathtrap/suicide chimera. this would help bring the gk in where and when i wanted, limit incoming fire and keep me mobile after.
    It's my "call in the cavalry!" list - kinda fluffy too - inq gets in over his head serving a warrant, or whatever, then the gk TP in to save the day.
    can it work?
    Last edited by funnymouth; June 12th, 2011 at 21:36.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast