Why power weapons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Why power weapons?

I have a simple question for the community - why would you choose a power weapon for a character over a lightning claw?

Now there's an explanation behind the question. I went through the probabilities for a BA captain with a PW and one with a lightning claw, and the results are below. Assuming a 2/3 chance to hit, and with 3 base attacks (ie not on the assault), on average you should get this many wounds...

Against T2: PW - 2.22, LC - 2.00
    Against T3: PW - 1.78, LC - 1.78
    Against T4: PW - 1.33, LC - 1.50
    Against T5: PW - 0.89, LC - 1.11
    Against T6: PW - 0.44, LC - 0.61

Now these numbers sway even further towards the LC when you add the extra attack to each for assaulting. Since most enemies you'll fight are T4, I think that the lightning claw is much better, and since they are the same point cost, it seems like a no brainer to take them for your characters.

What do you guys think?

Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I think your math is faulty. I don't know how you've gotten the numbers for the LC but I just did the math and the numbers I got for T2 were:

Against T2: PW - 2.22, LC - 1.94

If you regularly run the squad with SP then you have Furious Charge on assault, which does change the numbers so that PW is much better against T3.

Other than that. Yeah. LC is better.
    Last edited by Polaria; June 15th, 2011 at 08:13.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

To get one more attack for the LC you need the model to have 2 LC not a pistol as a secondary weapon.So for one LC its 3 attacks with PW and 2 for LC(base).
    So unless you pay a hefty price your table is not accurate unless you have 2.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

If you regularly run the squad with SP then you have Furious Charge on assault, which does change the numbers so that PW is much better against T3.
    But on the assault you also get an extra attack, which helps to even it out a little bit.

To get one more attack for the LC you need the model to have 2 LC not a pistol as a secondary weapon.So for one LC its 3 attacks with PW and 2 for LC(base).
    No, the BA captain has base 3 attacks... I don't know how that gets reduced to 2. I suppose if you had a sanguinary priest then they would only have base 2 and the numbers would be different for them.

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cheart View Post
    But on the assault you also get an extra attack, which helps to even it out a little bit.

No, the BA captain has base 3 attacks... I don't know how that gets reduced to 2. I suppose if you had a sanguinary priest then they would only have base 2 and the numbers would be different for them.
    Misread your post,i was speaking for a sarge

Even so if you equip with a pistol he gains another one if he has a pw,while he still needs a second claw in order to get the another one otheriwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Even so if you equip with a pistol he gains another one if he has a pw,while he still needs a second claw in order to get the another one otheriwise.
    Thats my whole argument, that the extra attack given by the power sword is less useful than the re-roll to wound of the lightning claw. Since they are the same price you'd think that they have equal benifits, however, for the captain it seems like the lightning claw is better in basically all situations.

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Perhaps the author aint a math hammer guy like me and the thought just it like me?Also if the dice gods favour you and you hit and wound(yes remote but there i have seen it happen)with all attacks then you get one more wound.

It must be an oversight really.Give the guy a claw if its better then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a personal preference thing. I prefer the pistol and power weapon combo not only for the extra attack but because I think power swords look cooler than a lightning claw. To me there isn't enough of a difference to go with function over style. Now if there is a situation where a model can get 2 lightning claws then I would go for it. But, if I'm not mistaken, the only times that can happen for Blood Angels is on assault Terminators and Vangaurd Sgts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

It's a personal preference thing. I prefer the pistol and power weapon combo not only for the extra attack but because I think power swords look cooler than a lightning claw.
    Haha, thats my reasoning as well, the power sword definately looks cooler. Especially if you go with one of the ones from the death company, those look awesome!

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cheart View Post
    Haha, thats my reasoning as well, the power sword definately looks cooler. Especially if you go with one of the ones from the death company, those look awesome!
    Me too i dont like wolverine at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast