SW help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SW help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SW help

Im new to the space wolves, ive read the codex from front to back and have looked all over the forums for stuff regarding them. I play non-competitive games with a few friends although all our games end up being extremely competitive haha.

I was wondering if i could get some advice from the community on here. The armies i normally play against are vanilla marines, IG, and Daemons.

The two i really need help or advice on are what units and tactics to use against the daemon player.

He goes with a khorne army, 2 blood thirsters decked out in as much wargear as possible, 2 units of bloodletters and a soulgrinder.

I know to stay away from him in cc but i was curious as to what units would shine against him, long fangs i would assume but id like to see what more experienced players have to say...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Long fangs, not so much since they have to get out of the rhino to really be able to shoot to full effect.

The thing about daemons is that barring CC, they have an extremely tough time dealing with mechanised armies. I generally suggest meching up and shooting at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so a new question for the community...

My buddy also has a necron army, we play 1500pts
    He normally takes lord w/orb and whatever else he can max out on wargear
    2 monoliths
    i think like 20 warriors
    deciever/nightbringer
    scarabs sometimes
    and a destroyer or heavy destroyer

Now i have yet to face hime with my wolves but ive seen him play,
    His tactic is to bubble his warriors in the orbs influence and to keep the liths right behind his line
    And i was wondering how to attack this problem, since assaulting would be risky and shooting would be a long haul since no matter what he gets his WBB rules.
    he never leaves his little bubble now in objectives games i could easily kite him and control the table but other than objectives idk what to do...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

The tactics for handling Necrons won't change until their new codex comes out - kill the warriors, and the entire army will go away. Assault them, win, and then cut them down.

Failing that, put 3 vindicators onto the table and just murder them all the old fashioned way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but doesnt the orb still allow him WBB rolls even if i sweeping advance?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

I'd have to check the codex, but I believe that he has to have a unit in coherency with the downed models on the start of his turn in order to roll WBB. If you cut the entire squad down in melee, then there will be no friendly models within range for him to roll with, thus preventing him from being able to roll WBB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would that stop his liths portals as well?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Again, go read the codex. I haven't played against the necrons in a while, so I couldn't really tell you either way.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

You check to see if the model is within the res orb as it dies. The dead model is checked for WBB viability at the start of his turn. If you sweeping advance him, he cannot roll for WBB. Period. So models that are killed in cc (due to assault attacks, power weapons, etc) can roll for wbb, models run down from sweeping advance rule cannot roll for wbb. And if you wipe out the squad so that there are no remaining warriors within 6", the downed warriors cannot roll wbb. Period.

If he's really running 2 'liths and a c'tan at 1500 points he's only got about, maybe 25 necron units on the board. You sweep both of those warrior squads and it's automatic "I Win!". So your strategy should start and end with assaulting those warriors. Got grey hunters? Use them to assault the warriors. Got thunderwolf calvary? Use them to assault the warriors. Got long fangs? Yeah, assault, warriors. The rest is just a distraction.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by drizzit124 View Post
    Yes but doesnt the orb still allow him WBB rolls even if i sweeping advance?
    Just being redundant: res orb only allows WBB rolls for stuff that was originally, specifically denied WBB rolls. Ie: double toughness and stuff that ignores armour. Sweeping advance does not deny WBB rolls; the models aren't considered "slain" in the same sense. Monoliths only allow WBB re-rolls, so if a model was never given an initial WBB roll, it cannot teleport through the monolith and roll WBB.

The trick is to hit his squads hard enough to win combat, but not so hard as to wipe them out. The sweep is the key.

+ Reply to Thread