So what's our best units so far - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's our best units so far

Just a simple question I suppose but unfortunately tried searching but not found no real help, I'm a 1500 pt player and haven't won yet, so was just wondering what's our best units so far and how's best to use them???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Probably the librarian is the best with 3-4 powers. Quicksilver, might of titan, shrouding and warprift are my favourites.

Elites: I do like purifiers. Take 10 with 2 hammers, 5 halberds, 4 psycannon and a rhino or razorback (HB + Psybolt).

Troops: Standard GKSS with 1 Hammer, 2 psycannon, psybolts and an option of a rhino or razorback (HB + Psybolt).

Fast: 10 Interceptors are ok armed like the GKSS (without the transport of course).

Heavy: Psyfleman Dreadnought with 2xTL AC + Psybolts. Dreadknights are ok too, I prefer them cheap with just an incinerator and maybe a sword.

These are probably the most effective designs for each slot but it all depends how you combine them and use them. Best thing to do is to have a stab at a list using much of the above and post it in the GK army list forum.
    Remember the general rule. If you take transports for most of your squads then use dreads. If you shun transports then use dreadknights. better to have lots of tanks or none at all. only taking a few vehicles is wasteful.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Also I like to try and take at least 2 of each unit as 2 Dreads are 4 times times better than one Don't cha love Math

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

There are no real standout units in the codex. Everything can be put to deadly use ... in the right army list.

Most of the time, when people are looking for the easy answer of "what's the good unit that will fix me into a winner", the real problem is the army list as a whole. It's too easy to just throw stuff together and get an incoherent mess. But the GK codex is good enough that real potency can be created out of it.

So, what's your army list? I suspect that's where the problem is.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, taking stuff in groups of 2 is way more effective than one, for example, Dreadknight with PT. on its own, one Dreadknight is just a nuisance and not very hard to take out if your opponent needs it dead, but 2 Dreadknights with PTs and some other distraction units, make for lethal combinations, that is the power of our codex. the Grey knights have good units but no unit is the best at what it does, TH/SS terminators for a Deathstar (points for points are the best deathstar out there), nob bikers and TWolves for wound allocation and hard hitting/fast, longfangs>Psyfleman dreads, so on and so forth, but it is the ability of our codex to be able to field so many threats to our opponent that he can't deal with all of them in one turn, and by turn two, stormravens are unloading, Dreadknights are in the assault, vehicles are gone... that is why when you ask what unit is the best, no one can give you an answer, because the codex is very well balanced and so we don't have one uber unit that is mandatory to crush face with, even with the librarian, yes he is awesome and has slick powers, but other HQs such as Grandmaster's, inquisitors, and named characters all have the ability to do well if the list is built for them. that is why there is no uber-awesome unit in the GK codex, all are good when used correctly and in conjunction with other units. just my opinion.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Well, There are couple units that just aren't much good in any list. Mostly Valeria, the Brother Captain (Stern might work if you build the list around him), and Kamarazov.

Also, Walloftext. A hard return will make it easier to read.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Senior Member -The-White-Lizard-'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

I have to disagree in regards to karamazov, I have seen him run in an orbital strike list, which was based loosely around him and be quite effective.
    Im not saying he is great but like most things, can be used under the right circumstances.

Regards,

-the-white-lizard-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Any inquisitor can be used to fill a niche role. My personal Go-To Inquisitor is an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, with Power Armour, Combi-Weapon (usually plasma, but maybe melta), Daemonblade, and 2 Servo Skulls for 64 points. I usually sit him back with a warband to provide fire support.

Number 6 is right. GK have an interesting codex in that, just about every unit is good if fits in with the list. Are Paladins good units? Hell yeah, but I almost never take them, because they don't fit in my list.

So...no auto-take units in the GK army. Though...if you have a spare HQ spot free, take a flipping inquisitor already!

+ Reply to Thread