Sentinels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sentinels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sentinels

OK, Sentinels. Not used too often, generally seem quite maligned.

For 40 points, you get a scouting/outflanking dude with an Autocannon and an AV, or a bit more for something chunkier.

For 60 points, you get an AV 12 walking autocannon with extra armour.

These aren't bad at all. Particularly outflanking mobile heavy weapons can be quite sexy, though armoured sentinels seem a bit expensive.

Why don't you use sentinels, or why do you use sentinels? Why don't they appear on competitive lists?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

The reason most people don't use Sentinels isn't that they're BAD, it's that they compete for Fast Attack slots with Hellhounds and Vendetta Gunships. At lower than 1000 points though, they're fantastic.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrokitty View Post
    The reason most people don't use Sentinels isn't that they're BAD, it's that they compete for Fast Attack slots with Hellhounds and Vendetta Gunships. At lower than 1000 points though, they're fantastic.
    Really? I see very few lists that run Hellhounds at all (understandable when you can run 2 Chimeras and change for the price), and very few lists that are capped on Valks/Vendettas (except 'vendetta spam' lists).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Most lists that I don't take Vendettas have 3 cheap Autocannon sentinels. Even better, whack on a cheap hunter killer missile.

Your opponent would be 'wasting' shots shooting at them instead of advancing melta chimeras or heavy support choices so they tend to get off a lot of shots. Move and fire is great too, as is the option to outflank. A 150 point investment (180 with astropath) that gives you potentially 9 S7/8 shots into vehicle sides is fantastic value.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    Most lists that I don't take Vendettas have 3 cheap Autocannon sentinels. Even better, whack on a cheap hunter killer missile.
    Ditto except sans the HKs.

I usually run a squadron of 3 scout sentinels in games up to 2000 points (including tournaments). At higher points I switch over to hellhounds and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my AC scout sents.

yea valk and hound variants are a better choice model for model, but if your army needs more anti transport, you want to max on other slots in your army then they have their purpose.

I think because there are better options, the only way I feel comfortable running sents is cheap, so standard of AC scouts only in my lists.

The best bit I like about them is their versitility. The role they have in my list, in no particular order is:
    Transport killers
    Defensive option for assults
    bullet magnet
    cover save for other vehicles
    sniper unit

I run anywhere between 1 and 3 and either separate or squadroned depending on the list. In many a game they have played a key role in my win.

As transport killers I scout them into cover at the begining of the game, I don't need to outflank with them because I stick to the board edge, people dont turn and face them because there are bigger guns on the other side of the board aimed at them. If I choose an infantry heavy list, I often castle the main force at one corner, and put them in front of a LRBT in the other. They give the tank a cover save making use of the allowed 4 inch appart rule for squadroned vehicles. and he can easily shoot through them. Tansports will be going for my castle so that's easy side armor hits. If they do send stuff to kill them then thats less anti armor things heading for the rest of my army. also because of their size and move through cover special rule, I can get into good positions easier, and shoot over the heads of my infantry. the 48inch range helps keep them safe while still deilivering their blow.

Their defensive role lies mainly with the fact that we dont have much in the way of good assult units. I can place them near an objective holding platoon and they will usually tie an assult squad in combat for several turns. They are an excellent speed bump unit. I have used a sout sent with heavy flamer to great effect in this role against non MEQ. It's in this role where I have had them win me games.

I say Bullet magnet, not because they are a high priority target that attracts lots of bullets, but because they do attract enough attention to alleviate the fire on the stuff thats gonna hurt the enemy more. Sometimes I will charge a squadroned unit right out in front and soak up everything/give cover saves to chimeras behind. Make use of the scout move to enable your chimeras to move flat out on their first turn in cover and save their smoke.

By sniper unit, I mean they can advance into cover ahead of your force, and sit there proving fire support to hard to reach targets (ie side armor and things hiding behind cover) When in a squadron of 2-3 that gives you 4 to 6 S7 shots; kinda like what you need from a sniper suqad. They are handy for shooting down units who have taken casualties and very handy for IDing T3. Against dark eldar they have won me the day against their special characters with invulnerable saves.

I would rate AC scout sents as semi-cometitive.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

ML scout sentinels are better. They do better against most side/rear armour and they are cheaper. When you're outflanking you can normally get those side/rear hits. They are also better against infantry thanks to having more shots. I always took AC sentinels but now I never do.

In a squadron of 3, I can put those 15 points towards an astropath to bring them in sooner/more accurately. Depending on the circumstances they can actually be a lot more points-efficient than a Vendetta. I normally run 2x vendettas and rotate different units through the 3rd slot. The bottom line is, 3x ML scout sentinels are very good!
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I usually fill my fast attack with 2 vendettas and 2-3 autocannon sentinels.

The sentinels are nice, they can tie up those S3 units, which is hilarious and scout up to shoot at vehicles, (I rarely outflank, its usually better the scout move and shoot, especially if you have 1st turn).

Better to get side armour turn 1 than 2-3, even the front armour of many vehicles (wave serpents, rhinos, razorbacks, DE vehicles, ork trukks, stormravens...) is the same as the side, so the earlier the better to get those shots on.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this thread is going to make me order more magnets, isnt it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Calmdown View Post
    Really? I see very few lists that run Hellhounds at all (understandable when you can run 2 Chimeras and change for the price), and very few lists that are capped on Valks/Vendettas (except 'vendetta spam' lists).
    I run 2 Vendettas and a Hellhound always.

If Sentinels were Elite choices I'd take them too. But Vendettas are just too good at what they do, and Hellhounds fill the need for a scary fast tank that can block things like Land Raiders from advancing.

I think that Sentinels are perfectly costed, it's just that Vendettas are undercosted by 30-40 points.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast