Sternguard: Pedro, Vulkan or Lysander - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who is better with Sternguard

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pedro

11 37.93%
  • Vulkan

13 44.83%
  • Lysander

6 20.69%
  • Other

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sternguard: Pedro, Vulkan or Lysander

So I am currently going about buying/making/planning my first Marine army and want to use at least two squads of Sternguard. My question is, which of the following HQ's complements them the most?

Pedro: With 'Hold the Line' and 'Inspiring Presence' he looks like a good choice. Leave them on objectives and with Special Issue Ammo and any special weapons shoot pretty much anything that comes there way. If they get assaulted well, they have the extra attacks.

Vulkan: Just load up with Meltas/Flamers and let them tear up Mech/Horde armies respectively.

Lysander: Bolter Drill will improve their efficiency and he looks like a beasty Combat deterrent to any units looking to assault the "shooty" Sternguard?

So Im just looking for peoples opionions on who is best? Do people have experience with the differant combinations??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive got pedro with mine for the reasons youve stated above, although yeah i did more or less have the exact same question you asking.
    I figured since Pedro and Lysander are both Imperial Fists, you could have both and swap them in and out.
    Never thought of Vulkan he would also make them a nasty unit, ive got 4 combi meltas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allen View Post
    I figured since Pedro and Lysander are both Imperial Fists, you could have both and swap them in and out.
    Except that Pedro is Crimson Fist...

Anyway, I think it depends on how you use you Sternguard. A "shooty" Sternguard is best with Pedro. You can take them without vehicle or just a factory-default Rhino and park them on objective with heavy weapons, special ammunition and orbital bombardment. A "fighty" Sternguard is best with Vulcan. Tool them up with a few combi-meltas and two heavy flamers , put them into a drop pod and go crazy.

I actually have a unit of Sternguard on my desk, waiting for paints at the moment. I thought of converting Pedro Kantor model to look like Deathwatch Watch Commander (counts-as Pedro ruleswise) and paint the Strenguard in Deathwatch colors, too.
    Last edited by Polaria; June 28th, 2011 at 09:05.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply guys. Like I said, I do intend on running 2 squads, maybe 3. 1 Squad with 2 Meltas and 2 Combi Meltas for busting tanks. The second with 2 Heavy Flamers and 2 Combi Flamers. If I took a third the setup would depend on my HQ/Opponent.

I too am painting my Sternguard up as Deathwatch. I got random Chapter pads, back packs and weapons up to my eyeballs!!
    Last edited by Shinglepants; June 28th, 2011 at 12:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all those characters coming in at nearly 200 points, I'd probably just take more Sternguard!

Drop pod with Vulcan is the best suggestion I see though. With combat squads you should be able to melt/burn two vehicles/squads as you arrive(Heavy Flamer is an Assault weapon too don't forget, and with Vulcan it will wound anything it touches!), and they really aren't too bad in Assault (Vulkan is excellent in Assault). It is a 500+point unit though, so it better work or you're in a world of trouble.

For added effect and the ultimate elite army, grab a Land Raider Crusader full of Hammer Terminators (Vulcan loves them too remember). 2 Units for 1000 points but boy are they good!

Pedro in a Land Raider does give a nice bubble of +1A, though that really works better with Tactical Marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I've voted Lysander - 10 SG in a pod with Lysander can make a mockery of anything with some vicious shooting, and if anyone comes near then they get BONKED on the head by a whacking great hammer
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

It depends on the list. If I'm only taking only one squad of Sternguard, I prefer Lysander (he also gives access to a command squad and has bolster defenses which is nice). If i'm taking more than one squad, then Pedro for sure.

Also, if the list is heavy on infantry (not just sternguard) Pedro is also very nice for the extra attacks on everyone. My list is often heavy on vehicles so the lone sterguard squad is often lead by Lysander either in a drop pod or a Land Raider variant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have mine in a pod with Pedro, the extra attacks doesnt make a huge dif for me, only if i get assaulted, but i DS my termies in with the libby usint the beacon on my pod, that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for vulkan.

Mainly because after seeing what twin linked flamers did with my crisis suits I wished for marines with heavy flamers. Lo and behold, after perusing through the marine codex I found that sternguard could take 2! so I naturally found vulkan with his own heavy flamer! something that would command respect from any sister of battle, thus I decided that a salamanders army was in order.

Add in vulkans relic weapon and spiffy cape he has and it quickly becomes apparent who is the toughest nut to crack, all he lacks is eternal warrior.

But really, I just hate it when I stand in front of a tank and miss with a crucial melta shot or not getting the wounds down with flamers when cleaning out infantry. This passive army spanning bonus for shooting attacks that cover the gamut from anti tank to anti infantry is not something you can place behind other trait advantages in its ability to be employed by anyone.

Sure, these weapons only come into their own when distances from the enemy are short and that can mean you don't end up being able to employ the advantages. But, as marines. This should be where we excel.

Being a dark angel player from the previous codex, I have to say that stubborn just is not what it used to be.

Pedro can help the sternguard more than lysander, amking them scoring is incidental. Also, put him with a squad of vanguard and then drop in another vanguard beside him. Then you have an unholy alliance.

Also when you notice pedros attack bonus would not be overruled if you took vulkans bonus of mastercrafted awesomeness, the monstrous realisation arises of the doom that would be met if you put thunder hammers onto the vanguard. stupendously expensive as it is, I think this would run rampant in an apocalypse game though.

*ponders the outcomes*
    Ok fellows we have a difficult task, so we have to be more deadly than everyday.
    Make mistakes and confuse the enemy - The Doctor
    Tactics are nice but it is violence that wins the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast