Utilizing Mordrak - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utilizing Mordrak

I am a long time forum lurker and I don't really post much. However I do like the community here as many of you give great advice and cordial opinions. With that said I do have a bit of a problem. I have been wanting to create an army for quite a while. I began looking at the CSM but quickly decided they didn't fit me. I have settled for a Dark Mechanicum army based off the GK codex.

Being Dark Mechanicum I want to focus on the fusion of technology and daemons. I feel Mordrak gives me this opportunity, as he can not only teleport onto the field, but do it first turn and flawlessly. This is where my problem comes in. I am pretty much decided on Mordrak as my key leader, but can't seem to figure the best way to use him.

If I do an all DS army I do run the risk of piecemeal and bad mishap rolls. If I don't DS then I have Mordrak all by himself and unsupported. I just don't seem to get his uses.

Sooo, after the whole speech, what are your ideas and strategies for the uses of Mordrak? Army composition? Supporting units? Loadouts? Please share as much as you can, I really want to make this work.

Karnaj

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Check out the army list I proposed in this recent post.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

You don't have to worry too much about coming in Piecemeal because of the psychic communion power that Mordrak has. Then you should get 2/3rds of your army on turn two (and if you bring a librarian with a tele-homer they can come down near Mordrak without scattering or you can find a way to purchase servo skulls so your deep strike can be more precise throughout more of the battle field). You also could field an inquisitor or another grandmaster to get a second +1. You just need to make sure you are putting mordrak in the right place as his 8 wound unit can be killed on turn one if you start too close to the wrong unit; and then your game is pretty much hosed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I've gotten that DK's shunting 1st turn to get into the face of the enemy and take some of the heat off Mordrak is a definite. I also understand that Librarians can increase reliability (across the whole board as they can also get servo skull fyi Nichodemus). Is that all we got? Is there anyway to make the Mordrak unit more survivable? I was planning on DS'ing behind a tank or transport to decrease LOS from the rest of the enemy, and try to take out that unit in the turn of arrival so that my cover can't move away. But with only storm bolters on the Ghost Knights and Mordrak where would that destruction capability come from? Are there other tactics to use for Mordrak and his unit on the turn of arrival?

I'm really interested in getting ideas for uses and possible tactics with this specific character. I know there are some great minds out there, I'm just looking for a little of your knowledge and expertise. I will name names if I have to <.< >.>

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You've hit on Mordrak's limitations. You can't get more than 5 Ghost Knights to accompany him. And Ghost Knights are limited in their wargear selections. The only way to get boosted capabilities in the unit is by sacrificing another HQ slot to it. Not the most efficient of solutions, but that's all there is.

It's all well and good to have a perfect 1st turn deep strike. But that is only useful if you have more of an army to support him. Dropping him behind a tank -- with or without an additional IC for potency boost -- and blowing it up doesn't do diddly to help his survival. In fact, it only hurts it. Firstly, let's optimistically assume that you will always destroy your initial target -- be it a vehicle or infantry or MC or whatever -- upon drop. Wow. Good for you. Now you're stuck in the midst of an entire enemy army. They're not going to just sit there and let you do that. They will gang up on Mordrak and wipe him out. You just sacrificed upwards of 500 pts to kill, at best, 265 pts because you blew up a land raider.

This is not a winning tactic, no matter how you slice it.

Unless you support Mordrak with more of your army, you cannot use him. It's just that simple.

Nobody else can deploy from reserves on Turn 1. That means you MUST deploy at least some of your army on the table as well. It also means that what you do deploy on the table must be capable of offering a threat right away to help dilute the enemy response toward Mordrak.

There just aren't that many options in the codex that fit the bill, are there? I can only come up with four:

* Teleporting Dreadknights
    * Interceptors
    * Stormravens
    * Psyflemen

All of these are units capable of delivering pain -- or the imminent threat thereof -- on the very first turn of play. Nothing else really fits the bill.

Nevertheless, I would qualify both stormravens and psyflemen as "lesser" choices because they are vehicles. One lucky shot from your opponent and those threats can be immediately removed. That makes them less viable as threat diffusers. DKs -- being MCs with a great save -- and Interceptors -- being capable of delivering 10 GKs and whatever they're carrying right into your face -- are truly the best choices for the role of Mordrak support. They are the most resilient options we have available for that task.

All of this assumes that you want to play with reserves to any extent at all. If you're willing to deploy your entire army on the table (other than Mordrak, obviously), then you don't need as much Mordrak support as the example list I concocted has and that I have been recommending.. I think you'll still need at least one such threat -- in the form of a teleporting DK or some interceptors -- but beyond that the rest of the army construction is more open to debate because now Mordrak isn't a main focus, he's just one part of a much greater whole.
    Last edited by number6; June 29th, 2011 at 21:25.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful. This was a very helpful post Number6, as it got me thinking of other ways to use the abilities of Mordrak on a less than army wide scale. I can't seem to think that the only real viable use for him is to attach a Librarian to him and use The Summoning to pull other pieces of the force from further on the table to the location of my 1st turn drop. This brings up another question however. The Summoning states that it is "used at the beginning of the Librarians movement phase". Deep Strike rules say that "In the Movement phase when they arrive...". Does this allow the use of the Summoning on the 1st turn Deep Strike? I would read this as a yes, but I'm not all that proficient with the rules as of yet.

If this is the case then the entire army can be on the table 1st turn and Summoning can be used to bring more and more of it to the front starting on 1st turn. Sounds like an interesting tactic to me.

Of course I do assume that I can get psychic powers off, all contigencies can not be taken into account for an overall battle plan. A good general is made so because of his ability to not only create a good tactic, but adapt that tactic to whatever may be thrown at him in the heat of battle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

Don't forget, by deepstriking in, you cannot assault that turn. This means you are going to have to rely either: on shooting in the first turn, thereby leaving your guys pretty tightly bound (not great if you are up against something that shoots blast templates) or spreading them out (leaving you with no opportunity to do some killing ealy on). You may want to use the Librarian to instead cast The Shrouding and Sanctuary to help them survive that first round and then let loose in round two. Just a thought.
    "The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

The beginning of the Movement Phase is just that: the beginning of the Movement Phase. On turn 1, where would a Mordrak-attached libby be at the beginning of the Movement Phase? Answer: off the table, waiting to deep strike into place. Once Mordrak/Libby unit has deep struck (deep stricken? ) the beginning of the Movement Phase has long passed and The Summoning may not be used.

There's a reason why, if you're going to attach another IC to Mordrak, I'd usually go with an OM Inquisitor in TDA with a psycannon. You need a psycannon in that unit. A libby doesn't actually do much for the unit. Especially a libby with The Summoning.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Check out how I used Mordrak in my battle report here (2000pts The Greater Knights vs the Greater Good).

While you can no longer shunt for your scout move (this game was before the FAQ came out), you can still achieve a turn 1 assault with personal teleporter units. So scout hopefully up to 3 units and attempt a turn 1 assault. This helps to relieve the pressure on Mordrak when he comes in turn 1.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number6 : I can see your point on the movement phase issue I brought up but would still like a ruling on it. The rulebook says "In the movement phase when they arrive, these units may not move any further...". I guess the main argument I have is do they arrive at the beginning of the movement phase, which would allow a simultaneous use of The Summoning, or do they arrive during the movement phase which causes the lack of movement? I may just be nit picking but hard for me to understand completely.

jy2 : great battle report. That does give me a little insight into the use of Mordrak but you didn't utilize your Summoning at all, and just to be fair you didn't use your Terminator correctly. He was a ghost knight and should have been taken off the board when Mordrak died. Last sentence in the Mordrak entry on page 40 tells you this fyi.

I love the concept of Mordrak and his ability, I just don't see a way to build an army to coincide with him. Even jy2 said in his battle report that his list was "gimicky". Is there a way to have a semi-competitive list with Mordrak as the main?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast