Plasma Suicide - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma Suicide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasma Suicide

Me and a friend of mine were having a discussion about the Gets Hot! rule and the wounds it causes and came up with a few things we wanted to ask.

1.) If a Company Commander has a plasma pistol and rolls a 1 to hit and the armor save is failed, will the CC be Instant Death-ed or just lose 1 wound?
    - If he does survive can he still shoot the pistol or did it blow up in his hand and is now useless?
    2.) If I am rapid firing a plasma gun and roll 2 1's and fail both saves, would i lose 2 troopers or would it just be a realy bad day for that 1 trooper?
    3.) If I am rapid firing a plasma gun and roll one 1 and a hit, would the hit still count even if the trooper was engulfed in a ball of plasma fire (he failed his save)?

We couldn't agree on these points so we would like your opinions on these questions. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

A little imagination and common sense is in order regarding the interpretation of the rule.
    1) No, the commander would not suffer instant death, because the rules do not say he suffers a wound, not a S7 hit, and the rule represents an overheat and not him shooting himself! He can indeed still fire the pistol, because it is assumed just to overheat and not to explode.
    2) The wounds are on the same trooper I believe, since only one trooper can fire the plasma gun, and so only one is at risk realistically speaking.
    3) Yes, the hit would still count because the rules do not state that any hits are forfeit. Logically, if he fired twice and one of those shots hit but the other resulted in an overheat, the one shot that hit would not disappear just because the gun has overheated.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

If he does survive can he still shoot the pistol or did it blow up in his hand and is now useless?
    The pistol is still functional for future use but, at the moment of firing, he still rolled a '1' to hit.

2.) If I am rapid firing a plasma gun and roll 2 1's and fail both saves, would i lose 2 troopers or would it just be a realy bad day for that 1 trooper?
    There's a specific rule stating that the plasma gunner must take all overheating wounds. However, you need to be tricky when firing multiple plasma guns, for example a quad-plasma command squad. If you roll all the plasma shots together and get three overheats then you lose three plasma gunners. However, if you roll for each individual soldier and one of them overheats twice then he gets stuck with both wounds...possibly saving his buddy. (A strict reading of the abovementioned rule would require you to roll the dice this way anyway.)

3.) If I am rapid firing a plasma gun and roll one 1 and a hit, would the hit still count even if the trooper was engulfed in a ball of plasma fire (he failed his save)?
    Yep. All of a unit's shooting results are applied simultaneously so the trooper would kill and die at the same time.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

The important thing to keep in mind is that a roll of 1 does NOT mean the guardsman has shot himself in the foot, the gun is just overheating. That is to say, he does not suffer a S7, AP2 hit. He simply takes a wound. Any saves you have apply, and it is not considered double toughness for the purposes of instant death.

The proper way to roll a rapid-firing command squad full of plasma guns is one at a time. Each individual guardsman fires his own shots, takes his own Gets Hot wounds, and takes his own saves. If any trooper has an overheated weapon and fails his save, any other shots that connected still go through. He WAS firing the gun, after all, that's how it overheated in the first place. If he makes his save, the gun is not useless, the guardsman just hops around in place for a second blowing on his hand and cursing while the thing cools down. It can then fire again next round.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

+ Reply to Thread