Starting My GK Wants Help On Which Choice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Starting My GK Wants Help On Which Choice

Hi been on these forums for a while but am gonna start my GK.

I have:

Crowe
    Dreadknight
    Melta Dreadnought(from black reach)

Plan On Buying:

GK x3 to be built as:
    2x Purifiers(with what weapons?)
    1x ?
    GK Termis x2(what weapons?)
    Rhino x2

or

x5 Termis (what weapons?)
    Draigo

Which One would form a better base for a grey knight army? Also what weapons are the most used?My buddy is starting his IG army so that would be my primary competition(i cant let him beat me )

Also plan on getting:
    Libby
    Each of the assassins

Also is it just me or are the hurricane bolter rules missing from our codex?

Don't mess up our fluff GW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Given what you have, I think the three boxes of regular GKs with a box of termies, 2 razorbacks and the libby is probably the best choice. Always buy razorbacks over rhinos, if you need to use them as a rhino, just leave the turret off. Make some doors to cover the hole if it bothers you. Converting the Dread to a Psyfledread would also be good. The Vindicare is also the best assassin overall, so he'd be your first choice. The others are... somewhat meh, and not buying them covers the cost of buying a 4th box of regular GKs.

The GK boxes can be built as a 10-man Purifier Squad (Hammer, Halberds, a couple Psycannon) and a 5-man Strike Squad (Hammer, Swords, Psycannon), and if you get the fourth box of GKs they should probably fill out the strike squad.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Forgot about razorbacks lol

So:
    1x Libby
    4x GKs
    1x Termis
    2x Razor Backs
    Prolly Still Get All Four Assasians Just Cause I Want To Paint Them(Cost Isnt Important For These Guys)

What is a Psyfledread?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

A psyfledread is a word-mashup of Psybolts and the "riflemen dreadnought", a dread with 2x linked autocannons. It's the most viable option that GK have for long range anti tank fire.
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

My weapon loadouts are as follows:

10x Purifiers - 1x hammer, 5 x halberds, 4x psycannons (I go with incinerators if I already have 10 with the psycannons or have sufficient anti-tank weapons)

5x Terminators - 1x hammer, 3x halberds, 1x sword, 1x psycannon

5x paladins - 1x hammer, 2x halberds, 1x sword, 1x falchions, 2x incinerators (psycannons are a waste on them since paladins are wasted if they stand back and shoot and they should never be your anti-tank option) I also find the apothecary to be too expensive for what he does.

Against the IG you will want the purifiers in rhinos. The IG generally will have enough heavy weapons to destroy a smaller army of paladins.

Hurricane bolter is listed on page 61 of codex.

Lastly, only buy the vindicare assassin - the rest are pretty bad.
    Tau my love! You are back!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

I disagree on incinerators on Paladins. They're expensive enough you want them firing from the word go, and Psycannons are awesome, and you're almost always going to be getting 2+ turns of shooting with them. Just turn the Psycannons and their combined 8 S7 AP4 Rending shots on whatever you want dead, be it infantry, MCs, walkers, or tanks.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

I don't know, like you said - they are expensive enough, why add to the growing cost. If you are assaulting infantry, the incinerators will always do a better job. Keep in mind, you can only assault what you previously shot at. Its a real waste to have paladins throwing themselves at vehicles.
    Tau my love! You are back!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

*Poke*

I would be taking Psycannons on everything capable of taking Psycannons, they are anti-anything and the most competitive loadout for any GK unit. If however I did fall short on points or I was list tailoring for swarm/horde than Incinerators would definately make an appearance.

*Poke*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

If you're assaulting infantry, you don't really need the incinerators. The only ones Paladins don't already make mincemeat of is TH/SS terminators (as well as Bloodcrushers) and Incinerators aren't really going to help against them. If you're going to assault Walkers, on the other hand, the Psycannons will very much help even the odds, especially if you don't have a Librarian with Might of Titan around.

Edit: It's also about threat projection: A unit of Paladins with incinerators isn't a threat for 1-3 turns, depending on deployment and opposition. A unit of Paladins with Psycannons is a threat right now almost all the time.
    Last edited by Stradius; July 12th, 2011 at 04:09.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I have a few more questions, would Stromravens be a better buy that razorbacks? another thing as far psyfledread is concerned would an assault cannon with psybolt get better potential results? Also is thraw a good upgrade to always take if you can?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast